7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

Sadly I've just cancelled my order for this lens from The Bay, I've been strung along for the last couple of months with news that 7artisans are out of stock and are making more lenses, then today I was told that the black ones have been given priority as they are more popular and I should change my order to a black one, which could still take another month before shipping. This has set off some red flags for me and I have cancelled the order. Sadly any other seller that is listing the silver version of this lens is a lot more expensive and in fact the seller I ordered from put the price of the lens up by about $50 on his listings since I ordered it.

"Unfortunately, and despite all the Chinese expertise, extensive r&d and exhaustive qc that apparently went into creating this thing, so we're told, it seems it does not mount correctly on a Leica M4."

While it's sad the lens does not mount on your M4, that still leaves a lot of other Leica models out there that it does fit and work wonderfully on. Many owners of digital Leica models are really enjoying this lens and the bargain price. So let's not discount it just because it has one fault. On my M-P 240 it has been producing wonderful results and you just have to love the quality and results that are so close to it's Leica counterpart that costs thousands more. 

I'm just as much a Leica lover and aficionado as most on this board but there comes a time when you just have to be prudent with your money.   :D 

It is not just one. M3 DS is also mentioned to have similar problem. But, hey, just two now. And they were going to fix it. This is why I never buy anything related to electronics and photography as new. Been close to manufacturing I knew it is not good idea.  B)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shot (makes me hungry).

How was the focus on your lens off?  Just curious because mine (received about a week ago) front focuses at f/1.1 & is spot-on at f/1.4. My theory is the lens was calibrated that way to address focus shift.

OK so my lens arrived- out of the box I was happy with the weight, feel, focusing smoothness. Focus was ever so slightly off- it took me half an hour of fiddling with the included screw driver to get it closer- I think I am just off by a very small fraction now- it gets harder to make adjustments in the sub mm range. Took it out for a spin- I'll let others judge the results:

at f/2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Did You test the focusshift (really testing with a rule or better with a Spyder Lenscal http://www.datacolor.com/de/fotografie-design/produkte/spyderlenscal/ , no impressions from handheld photos). Focusshift is the only thing, that distracts me from buying this lens. All similar lens construction, especially the Voigtländer Nocton, have bad focusshift.

Had the Nokton 1.1 and used it with my M6 and M3 (second try because the better viewfinder) and sold it again for that reason.  ;)

• Like 1

Ndf9, yours are the more convincing pictures I've seen so far for this lens. Looking at those cars, I would say the lens works great. 

Did you have to perform any adjustment on the lens? And if yes, which ones? Thanks,

Enrico

Thank you Enrico, no adjustments nothing special lens out of the Box. But it would need some adjustment the lens has his own tool and explanation. It would be easy to adjust if necessary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My lens arrived last night, and below are a few test shots on my M240

@ f/2.8

37443898730_a438b0f919_b.jpgKhúc mùa thu by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

@ f/1.2

23840922248_658abdb748_b.jpgGood morning! by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

@ f/1.7

37408299620_36c00d8acb_b.jpgL1000118 by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

Some observations:

1. Good build quality

2. Smooth focus ring

3. Need to calibrate my copy of this lens

4. Chaotic bokeh @ wide open

4. A small amount of focus-shift between f/1.1 and f/1.4

Overall, I am happy with this lens for the price which is US$369 from Amazon.com

Dennis

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got a copy from Hamish today

I am actually quite pleased so far. I line the built quality, not so much the missing clicks on the aperture ring, but okay.

• Like 9

Nice snaps, everyone!

Mine arrived five days ago but I haven't had much chance to try it out at all yet.

I've done couple of very quick checks and the minimum focus looks to be spot-on at f1.1 but a more thorough test will come later when I have enough free time.

First impressions?

I was expecting it to be pretty well made but it's far better than that; really really nicely manufactured and assembled.

Both focus- and aperture- rings are silky-smooth in travel.The diaphragm is accurately aligned all through the travel range - unlike one example which was tested in one of the reviews which was slightly 'wonky'. Perhaps the earlier lens was produced before all the bugs had been fixed?

The metal front lens-cap is as nicely made as one could wish for. Lens pouch is large but padded and will be useful for protection in a bag-jam.

Lack of a dedicated lens-hood is an issue (for me). I bought one of the widely available vented hoods when I ordered the lens and it's (probably) not really up to the task; it doesn't seem anywhere near deep enough to do the job properly. It will afford some degree of impact protection, of course, so will probably be used until something more appropriate comes along.

The lack of aperture clicks was a bit of a worry but in practice I actually rather like the smoothness of the ring's travel. I was a bit apprehensive the ring might easily be knocked from the desired setting but there's a healthy amount of resistance to overcome so no problems at all. The only slight downside I've discovered so far is that it's impossible, obviously, to set aperture accurately with the camera to the eye simply by counting down/up the number of clicks from fully-open/fully-closed.

The shortness of the focus-throw has been mentioned by a few owners. So far I haven't had any problems in regards focus accuracy but I've not yet used it in a difficult/demanding situation. Time will tell...

It's fairly weighty - twice the weight of my 50 Summicron - but yet the lens/body combo balances and handles beautifully.

My M9-P is away at Solms for yet another sensor-change (this will be its fourth!) so I've only been able to use it on my M8.2 which, lovely camera that it is, doesn't really give the 7A the chance to show, fully, what it can do.

I'm very much looking forward to using it 'properly' when the 9 comes back.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I love this lens

C / O Berlin "Why color?" opening

• Like 5

• Like 4

• Like 5

Here are few photos from my copy of this lens:

37624960774_7a315dc836_b.jpgL1001396 by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

37927789816_c361185702_b.jpgL1000733 by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

Happiness level - overall:  7 (1 to 10=most happiest)

Happiness level - People portrait: 9

Sure, it might not perform at the level of my 50mm-Cron, but it is $360.

• Like 7

Wrapped-up against the cold.

M8.2, 7a, 1/30 f1.1 @ ISO 160.

Pip.

• Like 15