7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anybody know anything about this 7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount lens?

https://leicarumors.com/2017/06/25/new-chinese-7artisans-50mm-f1-1-lens-for-leica-m-mount.aspx/#more-47327

It is already available on several online resellers (Amazon US included).

I'm asking because I'm looking for a decent 50mm to use on an M6 and I have already spent a lot for a Summicron 35 asph.

Thanks

Antonio

It is very cheap (take what you will from that) and likely a copy of the CV 1.1/50mm.

If you're after something cheap and fast then sure, this fits the bill. Otherwise (since you mention decent) I'd look for a used CV or ZM 50mm to fulfill the roll of the cheap 50. If you're willing to go a bit slower, an older elmar/summicron 50 would also be a nice choice.

Have you seen the test shots?

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

It is very cheap (take what you will from that) and likely a copy of the CV 1.1/50mm.

If you're after something cheap and fast then sure, this fits the bill. Otherwise (since you mention decent) I'd look for a used CV or ZM 50mm to fulfill the roll of the cheap 50. If you're willing to go a bit slower, an older elmar/summicron 50 would also be a nice choice.

Have you seen the test shots?

There are some test shots going around, but without any details. They're like brochure shots. Also there are no reviews yet.

My idea is to get a CV or ZM lens as very old used summicrons seem to cost as much as a new ZM. Then this morning I saw this and I thought it might be interesting.

There are some test shots going around, but without any details. They're like brochure shots. Also there are no reviews yet.

My idea is to get a CV or ZM lens as very old used summicrons seem to cost as much as a new ZM. Then this morning I saw this and I thought it might be interesting.

Even an older Canon 1.4/50mm (or the 1.5 Sonnar) ltm is great and cheap. It's what I'd go for if I wanted a cheap 50 for my M6.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More like "7 Patent Infringers".

Want a CV? Just get one. It's a proven product. If you can afford a digital M, my bet is that you can afford a used CV or ZM.

I don't have a digital M, but I could afford one and I also could afford a new summicron or whatever. I'm asking only because I don't want to spend that money. 

However you're right.

f1.1 lenses have to be about as tough as it gets to work with. If your rangefinder and the lens are not 100% spot on, you'll never hit the right one point that's in focus (literally) at f1.1. I can only imagine the chances this product is going to be adjusted perfectly and what one will have to go through if it needs to be serviced, assuming it can be serviced under warranty anywhere here in the US. May have to travel by Junk boat to China.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 3

If you really want an affordable fast lens, then a Canon 1.2 LTM (the tricky part is to fine one properly RF calibrated with its own LTM to M adapter) will do wonders.

It is of a purported Sonnar optical design.

Here is a translation from this source: http://www.nphoto.net/news/2017-06/26/f85701cc5dc67294.shtml

七工匠50mm f/1.1镜头规格:(Specs)

• 镜头结构:7片6组                  (Lens Structure: 7 elements in 6 groups)
  • 光圈叶片数:12片                  (Aperture blades: 12)
  • 最近对焦距离:0.7m              (MFD: 0.7m)
  • 滤镜尺寸:55mm                   (Filter thread size: 55mm)
  • 镜头重量:400g                     (weight: 400g)
  • 镜头尺寸:49mm x 60mm     (dimensions: 49mm X 60mm)
Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

More like "7 Patent Infringers".

Want a CV? Just get one. It's a proven product. If you can afford a digital M, my bet is that you can afford a used CV or ZM.

Obviously NOT a copy of CV. The back element is very close to sensor level and quite small. I had CV50/1.1 for many years, this is not the same.

• Like 1

There are of course many choices for great 50mm lenses out there. 

But the point of such a lens is certainly fast speed at a very low cost. Not sure if any f2 lens will cut it this way

Despite the lens project I ask which kind of glass could be used to sell this lens for such sum, I can't trust this company sorry. ZM lenses gave very good results and cost a third of a new Leica lens moreover as someone pointed out some old Leica lenses are still good and cheap.

Edited by Napoleone
  • Like 2

Does anybody know anything about this 7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount lens?

https://leicarumors.com/2017/06/25/new-chinese-7artisans-50mm-f1-1-lens-for-leica-m-mount.aspx/#more-47327

It is already available on several online resellers (Amazon US included).

I'm asking because I'm looking for a decent 50mm to use on an M6 and I have already spent a lot for a Summicron 35 asph.

Thanks

Antonio

Unless you have a very short memory or are very new to Leica M, you might like to do some research on the HyperPrime 50mm f.95 fiasco of a few years ago.  A number of people ended up buried up to their nostrils in egg and found the truth in the old saying that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

You have a 35mm summicron asph to be going on with, so why settle for something new but unknown and very likely inferior when you can have something used that is known and far better. Save a bit more money, leave the junk behind and get a 50mm lens worth having such as a 50mm summicron or 50mm f2.8 elmar-m or a 50mm summarit.

Edited by honcho
  • Like 3

Despite the lens project I ask which kind of glass could be used to sell this lens for such sum, I can't trust this company sorry. ZM lenses gave very good results and cost a third of a new Leica lens moreover as someone pointed out some old Leica lenses are still good and cheap.

Coca Cola bottles melt down nicely. The greenish tint improves contrast in B&W.  ;)

• Like 3