Anyone still using the S?

R3D-D0T

Quick question - for the S 006 and S2 cameras that have had their sensors replaced by Leica, is it confirmed as a “permanent” fix (ie, corrosion won’t reoccur)?

Josh, at Leica Miami, confirmed for me that the corrosion fix was a cure for the sensor malady going forward. If interested in an 006, I just recently traded the one I had for a S 007,  and it is for sale through Leica Miami. It was in superb condition, lightly used.  I'd encourage you to speak with Josh.

Rob   

Edited by ropo54

The S 006 is my dream camera - literally. Last night I dreamed that I was walking around with the S in hand on some excursion. But it was one of those dreams that injects elements of reality - the camera froze at just the wrong time, and I had to pop the battery.

My third anniversary with this camera is approaching. The more I use it, the more fortunate I feel to have it. I am a musician, jazz clarinet and tenor sax. I look at the camera as I do a fine instrument. You get out of it what you have the ability to put into it. And when your input is good, the output can be stunning. I read about photographers, about technique and indulge in all manners of intellectual immersion with the expectation that this effort will make me a better artist. But that S is the real teacher. I have become a better photographer because of it. Like that teacher in your life, you know who I mean, that inspires you to do your best work, and to push boundaries. And the feedback is all honest. You get what you deserve. 

One of my things is shooting horses - with a camera, of course. And particularly draft horses, and particularly at horse pulling events at county fairs here in Maine. A horse, after heavy exertion, bathed in the light of a barn with air heavy with dirt and dung is magic. I was at the Union Fair over the weekend. Using the S, with the 70mm mostly, and less so with the 35mm and Contax 120mm, was such a delight. After several hours romping around, I sat on a bale of hay to just take it all in. And realized that I still had a grip on the camera. Sometimes I forget I am holding it because it has become so natural in my hand. And I studied  and marveled at its elegant lines and precision craftsmanship. Call me shallow, but I just get the greatest joy out of possessions that are most pleasing to the eye and touch. And to my eye, there is no more elegant camera body than the S. I just like looking at it. As I do my 10 year old Audi S5 which has 210,000 miles. I expect to feel the same way about the S when it has the same number of actuations. So that is why I am still using the S.

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 5