Let's start venerating the 35Cron V2

NB23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never used a V2, but I have a V3 and V4.  V4 my favorite mainly because of size and weight.  V3 I really can't tell apart in actual photographic use (have both hand-coded as V4), but the 3 is definitely built to a higher standard than the 4 and I assume that would hold true for the 2 also.  Both lenses can flare if not shaded.  But so could the ASPH I had for a while.  It's odd but my V4 28 Elmarit, a wider lens, is virtually flare-proof even with a multicoated filter and no hood. 

• Like 1

Must flare as hell i suspect… Does it have multicoating? Neat little lens though. GAS attack!

MARS ATTACK.mp3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Now I'm almost convinced that such a mystical lens will make anyone a better photographer, as long as it shows the Leica glow. Does it?

It has that special glow for sure.

Have you ever waved a Gold Bar in the blazing sun juuuust outside a lens' field of view? Can you imagine the smooth golden light caressing the image? Neither did I. But if I ever do, I'll do it with my Summicron 35 V2.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It has that special glow for sure.

Have you ever waved a Gold Bar in the blazing sun juuuust outside a lens' field of view? Can you imagine the smooth golden light caressing the image? Neither did I. But if I ever do, I'll do it with my Summicron 35 V2.

Now you are making me want one, Ned... Good news is that I will never be able to afford the gold bar, so I'll have to make do with my 35/2 v1 and v4 or approach the legend by using my lowly 35/1.4 pre-ASPH. After all, I'm not a pro. 

I do not know if we should venerate a lens but I do like it. Here a picture of a friend inside the local coffee shop. T-Max 400, 1/60, f:2,8 on V2 Summicron 35,  Leica M4. Negative scanned on Nikon Coolscan 8000.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by charby57
  • Like 1

I don't know that I would venerate ANY lens - "in praise of" is about as far as I would go.

But somehow, hundreds of LIFE, LOOK, PARIS-MATCH, Nat,. Geo, Magnum, and newspaper photographers took world-beating, powerful pictures with the lenses of the 1950s/60s/70s/80s. Including the Leitz 35 v.2 M.

Here's a set from Mary Ellen Mark, Ward 81, 1975 (thus probably with the 35 V.2 - I doubt she ran out and bought the newest and greatest every time one appeared), with probably a few 28mm shots mixed in:

http://www.maryellenmark.com/books/titles/ward_81/index001_ward81.html

It did the job. In the right hands, it did an outstanding job.

BTW - if it's not clear, I'm kinda/sorta agreeing with NB23. The 35 v.4 tends to get all the hype (and had a long life-span), but we shouldn't ignore the previous, quite-capable versions, and their characters. But in the long run, the lenses behind the camera are far more important than the one on the front. When it comes to getting pictures that stand the test of time.

• Like 1

One the funny thing about this lens is the off center dot for aperture index. My sample is indeed showing the same oddity. Actually, it is even acknowledged on the original box. 

But I have seen samples where the index was right on center. Go figure...

I don't know that I would venerate ANY lens - "in praise of" is about as far as I would go.

But somehow, hundreds of LIFE, LOOK, PARIS-MATCH, Nat,. Geo, Magnum, and newspaper photographers took world-beating, powerful pictures with the lenses of the 1950s/60s/70s/80s. Including the Leitz 35 v.2 M.

Here's a set from Mary Ellen Mark, Ward 81, 1975 (thus probably with the 35 V.2 - I doubt she ran out and bought the newest and greatest every time one appeared), with probably a few 28mm shots mixed in:

http://www.maryellenmark.com/books/titles/ward_81/index001_ward81.html

It did the job. In the right hands, it did an outstanding job.

BTW - if it's not clear, I'm kinda/sorta agreeing with NB23. The 35 v.4 tends to get all the hype (and had a long life-span), but we shouldn't ignore the previous, quite-capable versions, and their characters. But in the long run, the lenses behind the camera are far more important than the one on the front. When it comes to getting pictures that stand the test of time.

I think I remember a portrait of MEM as a young lady in action, holding a goggled 35mm. So it might have been a Vers.1 on a M3.

Setting the apperture on the "venerable" ones must have been quite something.

Btw a Canon-LTM 2.0/35 found its new home here + two 40mm original filters. I'll knock the glass out of the one that looks the worst, bend the front of it a bit, have it black-anodized by a friend and put a 39mm Chinese vented hood on it.

Btw a Canon-LTM 2.0/35 found its new home here + two 40mm original filters. I'll knock the glass out of the one that looks the worst, bend the front of it a bit, have it black-anodized by a friend and put a 39mm Chinese vented hood on it.

If you want a simpler and cheaper solution - and save a filter - look for a LH-X10 hood made for the Fuji X10. The Chinese ones cost a few bucks and come with a generic cap. Don't let the description fool you: the thread that attaches to the lens is 40mm, but the hood has a 52mm inside thread to mount filters.

Worked like a charm for my 35/2 and 35/1.8 LTM Canons. It could provide a bit more shading, but it is more than adequate. 

• Like 1