problems with 60m macro on T

I do get occasional freeze especial when I first turn on, never get the error message, I would agree the focus lock at close distance or in poor light is not good. But superb image quality when it does. I thought the focus lock was better before the last firmware update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Tom,

I have the Leica TL 60/2.8 macro. It's a lens that confuses me. It spends a lot time hunting and not locking onto a subject. Apparently, it;s not too effective in low light.

Also, I don't know why it's called "macro". Yes, it let's you get close to the subject, but it's not really a macro (or as Nikon would say "micro")... No bee's eyes here. It's a close-up lens.

Also, I think you can get as close with the regular AF and MF as you can by selecting Macro (the little flower icon). False advertising?

Perhaps I'm missing something! Help.

Hi John (Learner)

You can edit, up to one hour after your post, I understand.

You cited a reference above which mentions the lens does 1:1 which is considered true macro (or micro in Nikon terms).

All best, hope you can come to grips with lens.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Hello Tom,

I have the Leica TL 60/2.8 macro. It's a lens that confuses me. It spends a lot time hunting and not locking onto a subject. Apparently, it;s not too effective in low light.

Also, I don't know why it's called "macro". Yes, it let's you get close to the subject, but it's not really a macro (or as Nikon would say "micro")... No bee's eyes here. It's a close-up lens.

Also, I think you can get as close with the regular AF and MF as you can by selecting Macro (the little flower icon). False advertising?

Hi Learner,

I have used the lens not THAT much yet, and I have used it mainly on a TL2. To answer your questions:

1) yes, it does hunt sometimes. the TL2 AF seems better than that of the T but it still doesnt focus as snappy like a EM1 or a fast Nikon DSLR. On the other side many macro lenses do not focus as fast as certain portrait lenses. For many macro subjects manual focus might be the way to go anyways.

2) Yes, AF in low light is also not the strongest area of either the Leica T or the 60mm macro.

3) in regards of macro I think it is 1:1 so that should be the criteria for a macro lens.

When I said optically excellent I mean my first impressions, in regards, of sharpness, detail, bokeh and color I get with the lens. If you like we can exchange further information over the next weeks when I collect more experience with it.

• Like 1

Thank you Tom for your helpful, detailed answer. Yes, I would like to exchange information with you regarding this lens. 

I shall try to see what differences, if any, there are when photographing the same object from the same distance in both manual focus and macro focus.

Could you try the same?

When you said 60L, did you mean 60 Leica?

John (Learner)

Edited by Learner

Hello Tom,

There is very much more to macro photography (proper name is 'photomacrography') than just buying a macro lens. The TL 60mm will focus to 1:1 i.e. life size but at this magnification, the lens will be so close to the subject that AF will likely be a frustrating exercise. Manual focus is best at high magnification in conjunction with the T/TL/TL2's live view magnification facility which can be accessed via 'FOCUS' / 'FOCUS AID' and is switchable between the 3x and 6x magnification via the 'touch screen' prompts … but to the best of my knowledge will only magnify the centre of the screen … thus the main subject needs to be in the centre of the screen.  If you wish to take photos of e.g. 'bees' eyes' the 60mm lens is not so suitable as it will not focus beyond 1:1 (life size) . Maybe Leica (or a third party) might in time release a 'smart extension tube' which would enable higher magnification. Another possible method of increasing magnification would be to add a supplementary close-up lens to the 60mm filter thread of the 60mm TL macro lens but I do not know of any supp. c/u lenses with 60mm screw threads … thus an adapter (step-up step-down ring) e.g. 60mm to 55mm or 58mm or 62mm would be required plus the necessary supp. c/u lens. Supplementary close-up lenses are a big subject because they are available in different strengths and qualities but suffice to say that an achromatic type (2 or 3 element) would likely provide optimum image quality compared to a cheapo eBay single element set. The Raynox DCR 150 (4.8 diopter) is an excellent quality achromatic c/u lens and will 'clip on' / 'snap on' to any lens up to 67mm front diameter by virtue of its spring loaded attachment clips .. so it should fit the TL 60mm . There is also the more powerful Raynox DCR-250 c/u lens (8 diopter) which would enable higher magnification. However, the higher the magnification the more critical is the focusing because the depth of field becomes shallower.  If you want to photograph e.g. bees' eyes at above life size magnification you might consider studying the art of close-up photography via the Photomacrography Forum where there are sub-forums documenting all the various c/u techniques including stacking https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=5e44a6b34548ba25cdb4260d9d72fc78  … it really is a whole new world of photography and not something that can be explained in one paragraph … suffice to say it's not just the lens and camera which matters … consideration needs to be given to lighting, subject support and camera / lens support. None of the c/u experts on the Photomacrography Forum use autofocus lenses for their high mag. imaging … they use low magnification microscope lenses and reversed enlarging lenses often in conjunction with bellows or 'tube lenses' with are much better suited to life size and beyond imaging … and are much cheaper than marque macro lenses … and enable much better quality results than any marque macro lens.  But unlike a marque macro lens they will not focus to infinity (with the exception of infinity focus microscope lenses which are used on a tube lens). Photomacrography is a vast subject. 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Dunk. My goodness, you went to a lot of trouble. Much appreciated.

I shall be wary of AF in close-ups, visit the sources you suggest, and ponder add-ons.

Are you a "photomacrographer"?

John (Learner)

Thank you very much Dunk. My goodness, you went to a lot of trouble. Much appreciated.

I shall be wary of AF in close-ups, visit the sources you suggest, and ponder add-ons.

Are you a "photomacrographer"?

John (Learner)

I've attempted to illustrate some of the techniques in the following forum threads …. mostly achieved using supplementary close-up lenses and budget price / adapted lighting set-ups 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/207639-qd-coin-photography-with-x-vario/?hl=coin%20photography

Since the above attempts I've acquired a Leica SL and a Leica T and various adapters enabling use of legacy lenses on both cameras . If anyone is contemplating trying some budget price close-up imaging with their T/ TL/TL2 then provided you are prepared to use manual focus you might consider acquiring e.g. a manual focus Canon FD 50/3.5 macro lens (often listed for much less than £100)  plus a C7  $50  FD to SL adapter (but note there are 2 FD to SL adapters listed … one with and one without tripod mount) .  I've bought several C7 adapters … they are professional quality and made to fine tolerances for use by professional videographers     https://c7adapters.com/en/products/category/leica_sl_t/29?page=1     … and sometimes they list s/h and ex demo adapters at bargain prices.  

dunk
Edited by dkCambridgeshire