WATE Repair - 9 months and counting

sdw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hey folks,

I sent in a WATE to be repaired from Leica SF about 9 months ago. It's still at Leica, presumably being fixed. Last word was that it had to be sent to Germany. 

Any idea how long this kind of thing can take? Or if I can contact someone to push things along or get a word in on what the hell is going on? 

SDW,  Based on my years of experience with both Leica NJ and Germany, your wait time shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks once Germany receives your lens.  German Customs sometimes hangs up inbound shipments.  I found this to be true as my most recent shipment to Germany for my Monochrom repair took 8 days to clear customs. That is just the way it is there.  Next time, if your Leica equipment is out of warranty, I most highly recommend you call Don Goldberg at DAG Camera  www.dagcamera.com  in Wisconsin and ask him if he can repair your lens/camera.  Both myself and JAAPV helped a gentleman in this forum most recently with his frustrating Leica NJ repair for a 35mm FLE lens that had a back focus issue. (You can find his posting topic in this forum under Leica M Lenses: "35mm FLE back focusing".  Don is honest and will give you an estimate too.  Almost all my Leica equipment goes to DAG to be repaired now.  He is fair, fast and fixes it right the first time.  My horror stories are numerous with Leica Repair NJ.  My last one from over a year ago, took nearly a 7 months to get a simple coding and CLA done at NJ only to be returned with leaking oil and binding focus ring.  The Leica Store owner talked me into sending it for a "redo" at NJ and another 9 weeks. On return the lens was even worse!  I gave up and sent the lens to DAG and it was back in 10 days round trip...FIXED perfectly.  Never again for anything to be fixed at Leica Repair New Jersey.  

Leica Germany KNOWS the New Jersey repair center is terrible and trying hard to bring it up to standards for over the last year.  I know some people in this forum say they have better experiences with NJ.  Based on the many complaints that I have read in this forum, the "satisfied customers" are far and few between.  I consider them the very lucky few.  Alternatively, if you want Leica to fix it, follow the instructions EXACTLY on their website and ship it VIA FEDEX, DHL etc to Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar.  Wetzlar is the gold standard for Customer Care.  Until Leica NJ gets its act together, (this issue has been going on for 2 plus years now), don't bother with them.  Last, you can find the contact email or phone numbers on the Leica website.  I suggest you call them at Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar with your details of your lens to include the Serial Number and ask them for a status. I have called them in the past, they speak English, are most helpful and professional.  Bottomline:  Either let DAG fix it in the USA or Leica Germany at Wetzlar fix it. Good luck.  r/ Mark

PS...Sorry for the long answer...hope this helps.

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Both myself and JAAPV helped a gentleman in this forum most recently with his frustrating Leica NJ repair for a 35mm FLE lens that had a back focus issue.

Me, me, me!!!  :D 

I would recommend Don. The lens was fixed and all was done within a week. 

Edited by mirekti

SDW,  Based on my years of experience with both Leica NJ and Germany, your wait time shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks once Germany receives your lens.  German Customs sometimes hangs up inbound shipments.  I found this to be true as my most recent shipment to Germany for my Monochrom repair took 8 days to clear customs. That is just the way it is there.  Next time, if your Leica equipment is out of warranty, I most highly recommend you call Don Goldberg at DAG Camera  www.dagcamera.com  in Wisconsin and ask him if he can repair your lens/camera.  Both myself and JAAPV helped a gentleman in this forum most recently with his frustrating Leica NJ repair for a 35mm FLE lens that had a back focus issue. (You can find his posting topic in this forum under Leica M Lenses: "35mm FLE back focusing".  Don is honest and will give you an estimate too.  Almost all my Leica equipment goes to DAG to be repaired now.  He is fair, fast and fixes it right the first time.  My horror stories are numerous with Leica Repair NJ.  My last one from over a year ago, took nearly a 7 months to get a simple coding and CLA done at NJ only to be returned with leaking oil and binding focus ring.  The Leica Store owner talked me into sending it for a "redo" at NJ and another 9 weeks. On return the lens was even worse!  I gave up and sent the lens to DAG and it was back in 10 days round trip...FIXED perfectly.  Never again for anything to be fixed at Leica Repair New Jersey.  

Leica Germany KNOWS the New Jersey repair center is terrible and trying hard to bring it up to standards for over the last year.  I know some people in this forum say they have better experiences with NJ.  Based on the many complaints that I have read in this forum, the "satisfied customers" are far and few between.  I consider them the very lucky few.  Alternatively, if you want Leica to fix it, follow the instructions EXACTLY on their website and ship it VIA FEDEX, DHL etc to Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar.  Wetzlar is the gold standard for Customer Care.  Until Leica NJ gets its act together, (this issue has been going on for 2 plus years now), don't bother with them.  Last, you can find the contact email or phone numbers on the Leica website.  I suggest you call them at Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar with your details of your lens to include the Serial Number and ask them for a status. I have called them in the past, they speak English, are most helpful and professional.  Bottomline:  Either let DAG fix it in the USA or Leica Germany at Wetzlar fix it. Good luck.  r/ Mark

PS...Sorry for the long answer...hope this helps.

Perfectly true, sadly. Sent several  lenses to Leica NJ for coding a while back, about half done incorrectly or unsatisfactory. They got it right on the second try.

Carmen and Sarah at Leica NJ were, however, most courteous and helpful. As is Dave in the parts department who seems to get the job done quickly and correctly every time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perfectly true, sadly. Sent several lenses to Leica NJ for coding a while back, about half done incorrectly or unsatisfactory. They got it right on the second try.

Carmen and Sarah at Leica NJ were, however, most courteous and helpful. As is Dave in the parts department who seems to get the job done quickly and correctly every time.

I'm now confused.

Are they good or no?

SDW,  my experiences over many years and repairs or service calls follows the above posts:

staff in NJ is polite and intends well, but totally lost as to basic technical capability

Customer Service Wetzlar knows this

Customer Service Wetzlar is quick, usually reliable and clearly at the heart of the show

Your nine month wait has no logical explanation! I would telephone Sean Cranor, the owner of Leica SF, or Customer Service Wetzlar and demand an honest explanation about when you will have your lens back.

• 3 months later...

I'm a working documentary photographer.  Sent my 35mm to Leica NJ in May.  Still haven't received it.  They say it's now in "repair."  Well where the hell was it before?  In a bin?  I've rented a 35mm since for work.  Now I just sent my 28mm off for repair.  Wobbly front.  Not particularly happy w Leica at the moment.  But I'm sure I'll get over it.  

• Like 1

Took about 6 months for my v2 WATE to be coded and some other work done. Sent in through Leica NJ but the work was done in Germany. The ability to monitor status was non-existent, despite repeated inquiries.

On the positive side, the work was excellent.

I'm a working documentary photographer.  Sent my 35mm to Leica NJ in May.  Still haven't received it.  They say it's now in "repair."  Well where the hell was it before?  In a bin?  I've rented a 35mm since for work.  Now I just sent my 28mm off for repair.  Wobbly front.  Not particularly happy w Leica at the moment.  But I'm sure I'll get over it.  

It's very frustrating, I have been there. I recently wrote Leica saying that I would love to recommend their gear to fellow pros who inquire but because of the lack of any kind of professional support when it comes to repair loans or reasonable repair times, I simply can't. 

I would gladly pay either an up front added amount on a repair or an annual fee for some kind of Leica Professional Services like Nikon has. I would buy more of their gear for my work if they did.

Unless it is something digital related or critical lens work like collimation, I use DAG Camera, Sherry Krauter and Youxin Ye.

Edited by Reciprocity

Sleuthin1,  Sorry to hear you are having a terrible time with Leica Repair NJ.  I have noted in Post #2 above my past experiences with NJ.  Never again.  Leica Germany has sent 8 technical teams to NJ in the past year to bring it up to speed.  It is not working.  I most highly recommend you recall your lens if possible, and send it to DAG in Wisconsin.  You can call Don Goldberg and get an estimate and approximate turnaround time.  You can also register your business as Professional with Leica and your camera equipment is treated differently for service at Wetzlar.  I don't know if this applies to NJ.  Bottomline:  Leica NJ continues to be a disaster and should be avoided at all cost.  If you need a repair done, follow the instructions on the Leica website and ship it to Wetzlar Germany.  If your equipment is out of warranty, I recommend DAG Camera, Sherry Krauter or Youxin Ye as Reciprocity above stated.  r/ Mark   PS...Leica NJ "lost" my 90mm Elmarit for 7 months and it took major efforts by Leica SF to get my lens found...a long horror story to say the least.