Novoflex AF Nikon F Lens to Leica SL Adapter: list of compatible and tested lenses

mmradman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have experience using this adapter with the Nikon 105 f1.4 E type lens? This is my primary reason for getting this adapter.

I agree with the reader saying the Canon version of this adapter is "eccentric" sometimes. I got the Canon version to use with the Canon 11-24 f4 lens. AF is "good enough" most of the time. Though it does often freeze if I focus on something with not enough contrast (I can normally unfreeze it by manually changing the focus, of if need be, turning the camera off/on again).

A wonderful combo - runs smoothly. Slower to AF than the 24-90 SL. And great portraits at f1.4, too.

• 2 weeks later...

As a longtime Leica user and lover -- if you want to use Nikon lenses with accuracy and speed, use a Nikon.

Same.  But I am also a long time Nikon user and lover.  In particular I want to shoot with the Nikon 105 f1.4 which is my most used lens, on the SL.

As a longtime Leica user and lover -- if you want to use Nikon lenses with accuracy and speed, use a Nikon.

Agree, although a clear strength of the SL/TL-system is that you can put most of the available optics on the body. And you have full control of the focus for quasi-static subjects. For those liking/that are used to the Leica colours, as me, a mix of Nikon and Leica sensors can give you some interesting and notable differences (with identical lens and lens settings, obviously). 

Does the adapter work with Zeiss Milvus ZF2 manual focus lenses i.e. enable aperture selection and auto exposure metering?

dunk

Very good question however answer is negative, I base my answer on logical deduction so if anyone can state differently I would be very much interested.

For aperture control from the body Novoflex AF adaptor only works with latest E lenses with electrically actuated aperture F stops, E lenses don't have apertur ring on the lens barrel.

Zeiss ZF.2 is no different from Nikon AFD lenses in that respect, unlike Canon EOS many Nikon AF optics have mechanical aperture ring, it is only later G and now E lenses that can have aperture selected from the camera body.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience using this adapter with the Nikon 105 f1.4 E type lens? This is my primary reason for getting this adapter.

I agree with the reader saying the Canon version of this adapter is "eccentric" sometimes. I got the Canon version to use with the Canon 11-24 f4 lens. AF is "good enough" most of the time. Though it does often freeze if I focus on something with not enough contrast (I can normally unfreeze it by manually changing the focus, of if need be, turning the camera off/on again).

A fine combo, although slower in focusing than the ultrafast 24-90...

• 5 weeks later...

Novoflex AF mount with EF Canon 50mm 1.2L is great on my SL. Also I enjoy Nikon 105mm 1.4E with Nik/SL . Both lenses have often been used during past 12monrhs. Yesterday I bought D850 with 70-200mm 2.8e. The AF performance of nikon 70-200mm on SL is beyond my expectations. It is totally usable on SL. Eventually , I do feel the future "E "type nikon lens is worth for me to wait instead of SL lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SKL2017
  • Like 1

As reported above/elsewhere, Nikon 300mm f4E PF works ok-ish on SL as well. Actually, I originally bought Nikon 300mm PF as a small, light-weight tele on the SL (and you get 420mm f5.6 with the 1.4 TC converter, almost without loss of optical quality).

The main downside with the Novoflex electronic adapter is that you only get max 3 frames per second on the SL, so the usability for fast moving objects is somewhat limited. I haven't tried to mount the Nikon 400mm f2.8E on the SL yet, but I may do so, if nothing else, for curiosity... But obviously, for quick auto focus and very good image stabilisation, native body-lens combo is the way to go. 

Still thinking about a 400+mm Leica L lens, though...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can this electronic adapter SL/NIK be used with the older Nikon D lenses? Will they mount? I'm assuming no AF and no aperture control, but is there a physical limitation to use this as a dumb mount for the older Nikkors?

I can mount a Zeiss ZF lens on it, and I see nothing that would appear to obviate use of a D lens.

When I gave up trying to use this adapter with autofocus on the SL and switched to manual focus, it negatively impacted battery life.

Novoflex makes a dumb adapter that's possibly a better option for D lenses.

I can mount a Zeiss ZF lens on it, and I see nothing that would appear to obviate use of a D lens.

When I gave up trying to use this adapter with autofocus on the SL and switched to manual focus, it negatively impacted battery life.

Novoflex makes a dumb adapter that's possibly a better option for D lenses.

Thank you Rob.

Why do you think the battery life is impacted with manual focus?

Is it a large difference?  

It took me a while to find my notes on that, as I last shot that combination sometime last year.  What I observed:  "When I use the adapter in manual focus mode, battery life of the SL decreases. A couple of times the battery went from full charge to completely flat after about 80 shots over a 2-hour period, even with 1-minute auto shutoff enabled."

I wrote to Novoflex about the generally poor price-to-performance ratio, and to inquire as to when there might be a firmware update to improve performance. I got a non-answer reply from someone in the sales department.  My more detailed follow-up email went without reply.

I eventually detached the contacts from the adapter so I could use it with the TL2 I had then. It currently sits idle in my dry cabinet, the most useless, overpriced accessory purchase I've made in 40 years of shooting.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My SL/NIK adapter works with E lenses but not with D lenses,  the screen blinks when a D lens is placed.   The equivalent Canon adapter electronic contacts can be disabled and the adapter becomes usable with the odd Canon lenses such as the 14mm Rokinon that is popular for astrophotography.   The Canon guys figured this out, they put a piece of tape over the electronic contacts fooling the camera into thinking it's a dumb adapter.  The same procedure works with the SL/NIK adapter.  The D lenses have their own aperture ring and the lens works similar to adapted M lenses.  When trying to mount an Ais converted 24mm Nikkor a rear flange would interfere with the internals of the adapter and not fully lock into proper position.  A DX G lens will mount on the adapter but the lens has no aperture control and defaults to f32 or the smallest aperture.  I tried to fix the aperture of the G lens by removing it from the Nikon body at a fixed aperture setting only to have it revert to f32 each time.  So, it appears every lens needs to evaluated individually, the physical mounting of the lens on this adapter is not guaranteed and the adapters/lens combinations are finicky.  

To answer the above question, my original intent, Novoflex makes a dumb adapter:  Novoflex Adapter for Nikon Lenses to Leica SL/T Cameras https://www.adorama.com/nvletnik.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6-_eBRBXEiwA-5zHaQgNxEQbi1vhn9kUkohvBx7z_N_DjtXPHvteAdHj6NZ7BRqkAYbpgxoCO3sQAvD_BwE

or there is the Novoflex Nikon to M adapter that could then be coupled with the Leica M to L adapter. 

I'll be receiving a Sigma 14-24mm Art lens in the next week, after searching the web and many sights I read it is an E lens and should (I hope) work fine on the SL.   The Leica lenses have spoiled me, other lenses don't measure up but this one looks very promising.  I've heard many good things about the Art series, the superlatives are very enticing.   

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Sigma 14-24 Art lens in Nikon mount is an E lens, there are no mechanical couplings that have been present on F mount lenses for 59 years.  The lens is not usable on the SL, it will not mount on the SL/NIK adapter, there is a physical interference that keeps it from locking onto the adapter.  I was able to use the mechanical Nikon G adapter to M and M to SL adapter to physically mount the lens.   Without any aperture control the lens defaults to f2.8 as adapted, and manual focus only.  At f2.8 the sharpness is acceptable in center, becoming poor at the edges.  When removed from a Nikon body stopped down any aperture can be selected and the lens will remain set.   There are internet reports that indicate the lens reaches peak performance at f4, it gives improved IQ over f2.8, again acceptable in center improving to acceptable in the corners.  I tested the lens on a Nikon body and found peak performance at f5.6 and f8 in center, edge performance was not evaluated.   I considered trading for the Canon version for use with the SL/EOS adapter but the lens performance doesn't warrant it.  I'll continue to look for a wide in the 14mm range.     

Edited by darylgo

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, mmradman said:
On 8/7/2017 at 8:54 AM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Does the adapter work with Zeiss Milvus ZF2 manual focus lenses i.e. enable aperture selection and auto exposure metering?

dunk 

On 8/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, mmradman said:

Very good question however answer is negative, I base my answer on logical deduction so if anyone can state differently I would be very much interested.

For aperture control from the body Novoflex AF adaptor only works with latest E lenses with electrically actuated aperture F stops, E lenses don't have apertur ring on the lens barrel.

Zeiss ZF.2 is no different from Nikon AFD lenses in that respect, unlike Canon EOS many Nikon AF optics have mechanical aperture ring, it is only later G and now E lenses that can have aperture selected from the camera body.

The Milvus does not have an external manual aperture ring and depends on the camera selecting the aperture electronically, so that would not make sense. It is premature to assume without experience that the adapter would not support the aperture control.

There is another brand of adapter at BH Photo that has a manual aperture adjustment ring on the adapter to control the lens aperture.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=3420&fct=fct_camera-body-mount_1595|leica-l%2bfct_lens-mount_1596|nikon-f&origSearch=lens+adapter&N=4077634486&

• Nikon F Lens to Leica L-Mount Camera
  • Designed for Leica SL Mirrorless Camera
  • For E-Type Nikon F-Mount Lenses
  • Enables Autofocus in AF-S Mode
  • Control Aperture from Camera Body
  • Auto Exposure Modes are Supported
  • Compatible with AF/MF Mode
  • Depth of Field Values Shown on Camera
  • Transfers Exif Data to Camera

As stated by mmradman the SL-NIK ONLY works with nikon E lenses or Nikon E compatible 3rd party lenses. 

I am not aware that non E nikon lenses function at all on the adapter..... at least no-one in 3 years has stated any other lenses work allowing aperture control or exif info even though AF is absent.  I think it will just register a black screen as it does when used on the CL or TL.