Help needed: Can't connect with Leica Customer care for MM sensor corrosion replacement

carlosecpf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear friends,

I've been a happy MM1 user since I bough this incredible camera. Few weeks ago I realized that my MM1 has been affected with the dreaded sensor corrosion problem. As far as I know, Leica is still replacing sensors for this problem for free. So I contact Leica customer support (repair@leicacamerausa.com) on June 7th without any replies from them. Last sunday, I reached out again the same email address and also emailed a Leica customer care employee. So far, I haven't heard back from them yet.

Do you guys suggest any other course of action? I have always had a great experience with Leica Support but this time around, I am a bit frustrated with the lack of response on their end.

I am a little anxious because I know that, starting in August, Leica wont be offering this service for free any longer. So I need to act quickly.

Thanks in advance for any input!

The direct number for Roxana Lynch, Customer Relations Manager at the NJ facility is 201-962-9931. She can get things done for you, or at least provide answers.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I´ve emailed Roxana directly last sunday but still didn´t hear back from her. Perhaps she is out of office as she has always been super responsive, courteous and helpful with me in the past.

Nonetheless, I´ve called one of the # you have provided me with and the problem is solved: I will send my camera in for repair!

Thanks again for all your support!

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carlosecpf,  I wrote this post in response to Tangfj post.  This is my recommendation for "next time".  r/ Mark

"Tangfj,   I sent my Monochrom to Leica Germany from Australia on May 29th, arrived in Germany June 6th, it spent 8 business days in German Customs (normal) and once at Leica, got an immediate email of receipt of my camera and next a confirming email of the sensor corrosion from Customer Care.  Today, July 6th, I get a UPS tracking number from Leica and my repaired Monochrom is now in transit back to Australia.  The Leica Repair Center in NJ is a disaster.  It has been this way for two years.  It has many issues.  Leica has sent its technicians from Germany no less than 8 times in the last year to help train the staff and "fix" the issues.  It is NOT working.  Next time, I recommend you follow the Leica website instruction exactly and send it directly to Customer Care at Wetzlar.  Leica Wetzlar is the gold standard for Customer Care.  I am a native American on long holiday in Australia and have to admit the Leica NJ "Customer Repair Service"...is a disgrace. I wish Leica Germany would simply put Leica "Repair Service" NJ out of business, make it simply a repair forwarding agent and all repairs are done at Wetzlar.   r/ Mark"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

My Monochrom has been seating at Leica Facility in NJ since past August. After emailing Customer Service about the status on the sensor replacement for my Monochrom, I received an email from them saying that they are currently back ordered with new sensors and I should expect at least another 24 weeks (!!!!) for the service to be completed. I believe 24 weeks seems to be excessive for any type of repair.

What has been your experience with this? Is there something I can do to speed up the process? Perhaps sending it to Wetzlar? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Carlosecpf,  I wrote this post in response to Tangfj post.  This is my recommendation for "next time".  r/ Mark

"Tangfj,   I sent my Monochrom to Leica Germany from Australia on May 29th, arrived in Germany June 6th, it spent 8 business days in German Customs (normal) and once at Leica, got an immediate email of receipt of my camera and next a confirming email of the sensor corrosion from Customer Care.  Today, July 6th, I get a UPS tracking number from Leica and my repaired Monochrom is now in transit back to Australia.  The Leica Repair Center in NJ is a disaster.  It has been this way for two years.  It has many issues.  Leica has sent its technicians from Germany no less than 8 times in the last year to help train the staff and "fix" the issues.  It is NOT working.  Next time, I recommend you follow the Leica website instruction exactly and send it directly to Customer Care at Wetzlar.  Leica Wetzlar is the gold standard for Customer Care.  I am a native American on long holiday in Australia and have to admit the Leica NJ "Customer Repair Service"...is a disgrace. I wish Leica Germany would simply put Leica "Repair Service" NJ out of business, make it simply a repair forwarding agent and all repairs are done at Wetzlar.   r/ Mark"

Thank you for sharing your great experience with Leica Wetzlar. I will definitely keep this in mind in the future. I always had a great experience with Leica NJ but, this time around, the waiting has been excessive. 

I know it needs to be fixed and needs to get in the qeue soon, but be aware they are quoting 26 week turn around times!  Mines been there since early May and I miss it!

Thanks. Sounds like I am going down the same path... but a little worse: an estimate of total 36 weeks of waiting

Get them to return the camera to you, and send it directly to Wetzlar.

Thanks for your input. I was afraid to hearing that suggestion. :) But it is what it is.

That would be my last resort because I am currently based in Brazil. Sorting out the logistics from NJ to Brazil then off to Germany is likely to be a nightmare, not to mention import tax from US into Brazil...

Oh boy...

I wonder what the tax position would be sending the camera directly from NJ to Wetzlar.  Why don't you contact Customer Service in Wetzlar and see if they can help?  It's a long shot, but if you explain the continued delay, they might be prepared to have the camera shipped to them - you would join their queue, but it still seems to be running at 8 weeks.

Provided the camera is for repair, there should be no duty leaving the US or going in and out of Germany.  Re-entry into Brazil is another matter you would need to sort anyway.

• Like 1

I wonder what the tax position would be sending the camera directly from NJ to Wetzlar.  Why don't you contact Customer Service in Wetzlar and see if they can help?  It's a long shot, but if you explain the continued delay, they might be prepared to have the camera shipped to them - you would join their queue, but it still seems to be running at 8 weeks.

Provided the camera is for repair, there should be no duty leaving the US or going in and out of Germany.  Re-entry into Brazil is another matter you would need to sort anyway.

Thank you very much for your support. I will check with Wetzlar an hope to sort this repair nightmare out.

Hey Guys,

My Monochrom has been seating at Leica Facility in NJ since past August. After emailing Customer Service about the status on the sensor replacement for my Monochrom, I received an email from them saying that they are currently back ordered with new sensors and I should expect at least another 24 weeks (!!!!) for the service to be completed. I believe 24 weeks seems to be excessive for any type of repair.

What has been your experience with this? Is there something I can do to speed up the process? Perhaps sending it to Wetzlar? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Since I work a hour away from Leica NJ, i dropped off my MM1 in person near the end of May 2017 and was told 12 weeks.  I still haven't received my camera back.  I called 2 weeks ago and was told another 6 weeks.  Hopefully they were not pulling their estimate out of thin air and this was an estimate based on actual expectations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my MM in on October 24th and contacted them a week later tome sure they received it.  My MM was indeed suffering form the corrosion issue and I was told 24 weeks for parts...  That is absolutely ridiculous!

I called back last week and asked if there were any other options - they said I could "upgrade" to a newer camera for the prices I'll list below.  Has anyone had similar prices quoted?  My camera is 4 years old and in like new condition.

M.         $3100

MP        $3500

M246    $3750

M262   $2075

MD262 $2750

SL.       $2750

Thanks for your input. I was afraid to hearing that suggestion. :) But it is what it is.

That would be my last resort because I am currently based in Brazil. Sorting out the logistics from NJ to Brazil then off to Germany is likely to be a nightmare, not to mention import tax from US into Brazil...

Oh boy...

Why send it through NJ??