Wedding lens choice?

hockey44

I've come rather late to this discussion, but I have some (amateur, though sometimes sole) Wedding photography experience, and my son was married last year (small church in the U.K., Country House reception).

Firstly, in years to come, the guests will look at the group photos to remind themselves who was there - and, sadly, who is no longer extant.

Thus, 'group pictures' - those boring, conventional pictures ARE important. However, the opening post indicates that a paid photographer will be present, so these pictures are his or her problem. However, it's wise to take a few yourself, just in case of technical problems, or in case the 'pro' demonstrates their artistic temperament too much(!).

As a major participant, close relative of one of the happy couple, your task is to be there and support the couple, and to make the other guests feel welcome and part of the family - there are, after all, two families coming together, some of whom will not know each other.

As such, your 'photo time' will be limited, and photography should not distract you from your family duty, and certainly not affect your enjoyment of the occasion. On the other hand, as a keen photographer, you will want to have some personal images.

My personal compromise (unless sole photographer), particularly when I am involved (best man, bridegroom's father) has been to take a camera with a couple of lenses which I know will give the look I like for the 'establishing shots': the venue, the flowers, the family and friends before the ceremony. My preference for these pictures is a 28mm & a 75mm or a 90mm.

For the ceremony itself, once everyone is dressed for the event and present, I switch to a 35mm lens (or equivalent). At this stage, as part of the wedding party, switching lenses, or worrying whether I have the right one, worrying about exposure or focussing is the last thing I want to be thinking about. The M10/9/240 with a 35mm lens will get most of the pictures very well, but needs as much pre-preparation as possible, so practice a lot: again you don't want any problems with handling the equipment. Personally, for pictures at this phase of the proceedings, and for the reception, I use a Fuji X100s currently, as the lens is 35mm (equivalent) and it's almost silent, fits easily in a top hat or a pocket (just about) and on aperture priority needs little setting. Compared with my Leicas, it's also expendable if lost or damaged.

If I had owned the Leica Q at the time, I would have used that.

Just my personal views, but based on experience, and my photographs have been gratefully (or certainly politely) received.

Above all, enjoy the day!

My honest, heartfelt recommendation... Take whatever you want to Portugal, but don't bring a camera at all to the wedding or the reception. There will be one pro and a hundred amateurs documenting the event. You should just experience it.

If you can't bring yourself to leave the camera behind, use some sort of an instant camera. Even an iPhone would be fine. The pictures just need to be good enough to remind you of the event--who was there, what was said, and what a wonderful milestone it was. You're not making prints or selling these pics to a gallery.

If you can't stick with just an iPhone or a small digicam, I'd just go with the 35FLE and don't try to capture every moment, don't try to be the "backup" in case the pro is no good. Just snap he moments that speak to you. No flash--just use it wide open, and if half of the subjects are out of focus so be it.

There is an old saying that any job worth doing is worth doing well. In this case your job is to be the father of the groom. Do THAT job well, not the photographer's. That means NOT thinking about the next shot, or the group the photographer appears to be missing, or which lens would be most flattering or whether the out-of-focus highlights are going to be too busy with a given background with the Noctilux.

Easy advice to give, but much harder to take, I know. I assume you will ignore my advice--I probably would--but do try to keep it down to a single lens/focal length. By simplifying things you will be able to keep your personal focus on the experience.

• Like 4

I really hope this doesn't come across as condescending or out of place, as this is just from my heart.

I would honestly reconsider whether it's the best decision to bring a camera (or phone) at all. I have been photographing wedding professionally for nearly 8 years, full-time, and yes I am biased because I am somewhat over exposed to the scenario and the discussion with my clients. But at the same time, I live and breathe this work, and if I weren't perfectly in tune with my clients, I wouldn't have an income. From my stand point, I have no real issue with people having cameras at weddings because it's a normal thing to work around - complaining about this is either incompetence on behalf of the photographer or frustration (which I do sympathise with). The regrets I have heard over the years, thankfully sparingly, are those of friends (and once, unfortunately, someone's father), being too distracted or interested in making their own photographs rather than being connected with the people around them and the hugely significant and symbolic occasion that is unfolding. 

Think about the *best* way in which you could experience and share this occasion with your family.

Wouldn't that be to fully immerse yourself in the day? Fully experience the big moments that you're anticipating? And then the things that happen which you didn't even plan for or expect. Those are the memories you're gonna want to hang onto. And for me the only way to experience this is to live in the moment, not behind the rangefinder.

Or just as worse, thinking about the rangefinder.

Your daughter is gonna need you, too. As will the rest of your family. They'll be relying on you to be there and be as present as ever.

The one thing that surprised me about being at a wedding with very close family (and obviously not being the 'tog), is just how emotional it can be at times. It surprised me but I seriously doubt I would have felt that as strongly or even at all if I were fiddling with cameras and such.

That's just my two pennies worth anyway, I hope it's not taken the wrong way.

For further reading, maybe suggest / introduce the idea of your daughter having a 'unplugged' wedding.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Follow-up to "the wedding". Most importantly it was a fantastic event and yes "I was there" despite bringing along both FLE and Nocti. I was judicious and when I could "burst" with a few opportunities like when they were leaving the church in an old classic car and at the reception when the pro photographer was shooting what seemed like endless photos with DSLR. I found some brief moments and think I was able to capture what I was looking for--emotion, tenderness and a few funny moments. So I guess I heeded all your fine suggestions to "cool it" and was dying inside standing outside the church as they exited unable to catch the moment with flower pedals being thrown...next time-- hah, but I have 4 more children to go!

I must say sometimes "pro photographers" can spoil the moment by feeling they need to document EVERYTHING. Constant contortions with DSLR a pocket wizard and a flash in one hand and camera in the other- you get the idea. Since brides family organized this what can I say...

Probably and SL and zoom would have been more efficient but then again I don't have one...

Thanks again

Ed

• Like 1

Follow-up to "the wedding". Most importantly it was a fantastic event and yes "I was there" despite bringing along both FLE and Nocti. I was judicious and when I could "burst" with a few opportunities like when they were leaving the church in an old classic car and at the reception when the pro photographer was shooting what seemed like endless photos with DSLR. I found some brief moments and think I was able to capture what I was looking for--emotion, tenderness and a few funny moments. So I guess I heeded all your fine suggestions to "cool it" and was dying inside standing outside the church as they exited unable to catch the moment with flower pedals being thrown...next time-- hah, but I have 4 more children to go!

I must say sometimes "pro photographers" can spoil the moment by feeling they need to document EVERYTHING. Constant contortions with DSLR a pocket wizard and a flash in one hand and camera in the other- you get the idea. Since brides family organized this what can I say...

Probably and SL and zoom would have been more efficient but then again I don't have one...

Thanks again

Ed

With four children to go, I hope at least one of them will get married from your house. You will then have the joy of waking them in the morning with a loud rendition of "Another one bites the dust" as I did with my younger daughters........

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really hope this doesn't come across as condescending or out of place, as this is just from my heart.

I would honestly reconsider whether it's the best decision to bring a camera (or phone) at all. I have been photographing wedding professionally for nearly 8 years, full-time, and yes I am biased because I am somewhat over exposed to the scenario and the discussion with my clients. But at the same time, I live and breathe this work, and if I weren't perfectly in tune with my clients, I wouldn't have an income. From my stand point, I have no real issue with people having cameras at weddings because it's a normal thing to work around - complaining about this is either incompetence on behalf of the photographer or frustration (which I do sympathise with). The regrets I have heard over the years, thankfully sparingly, are those of friends (and once, unfortunately, someone's father), being too distracted or interested in making their own photographs rather than being connected with the people around them and the hugely significant and symbolic occasion that is unfolding. 

Think about the *best* way in which you could experience and share this occasion with your family.

Wouldn't that be to fully immerse yourself in the day? Fully experience the big moments that you're anticipating? And then the things that happen which you didn't even plan for or expect. Those are the memories you're gonna want to hang onto. And for me the only way to experience this is to live in the moment, not behind the rangefinder.

Or just as worse, thinking about the rangefinder.

Your daughter is gonna need you, too. As will the rest of your family. They'll be relying on you to be there and be as present as ever.

The one thing that surprised me about being at a wedding with very close family (and obviously not being the 'tog), is just how emotional it can be at times. It surprised me but I seriously doubt I would have felt that as strongly or even at all if I were fiddling with cameras and such.

That's just my two pennies worth anyway, I hope it's not taken the wrong way.

For further reading, maybe suggest / introduce the idea of your daughter having a 'unplugged' wedding.

Best of luck!

As a wedding photographer myself, I totally understand this. My last few weddings have had a variety of guests turn up with professional spec cameras and as such feel like they MUST get some shots in case the "professional" misses a moment or isn't very good.

Some people with cameras whether they are DSLR's or iphones just get in the way, there's always the argument that you should be able to work around such distractions but this is not always the case, I don't mind people having cameras at weddings but I try my hardest to make them aware when a moment is about to happen like a conffetti shot or sparklers or throwing the bouquet, that I am there and i don't want anyone to step in front of me or thrust a camera in to my shot, it happens once and if they ruin the picture there's nothing I can do about it.

I do enjoy unplugged weddings as people really seem to chill more, talk to each other and actually watch the days events through their own eyes rather than on a screen.

I agonized 4 years ago when my daughter remarried....what camera to bring (I ended up choosing a film Leica), but then what lens? She had a pro there, so besides the duties of father of the bride, I wanted some shots the pro might not get. Spoke to the pro in advance, and she gave me some suggestions and told me she would welcome me following her around for some of the special moment shots she had planned, outside the countryside church on the grounds. In the end I chose to bring only 1 lens. not my favored 35, but rather a slow 50 Elmar RS. Things happened so fast that I was glad to not have to have had to deal with lens changes, and the pro really knew her stuff, being familiar with the venue, its lighting challenges and how to plan the shots the bride wanted, in spite of a sudden weather change for the worse. I got my "special shots" plus those the pro suggested I take which would be slightly different than what she was shooting.  After developing my films, initially I was a little disappointed with the contrast, but did a little post processing and was delighted with my choice of lenses, and (BW) film. When I saw the pro's results, I was bowled over, absolutely gorgeous in spite of an overcast day, and the hints she gave me will well serve me in the years ahead. As to the lenses....a 35 might have been nice, but a 50 provided me with much more intimate compositions. As far as speed....yes a faster lens would have been nice given the overcast conditions, but then there would hae been the issue of getting the narrow focus perfect while running all over the grounds.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1