Leica M10 review and user report (at overgaard.dk)

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I found it interesting to learn about Thorsten Overgaard's views on the M10, I gave up reading Mr. Overgaard's review because of the continuing breaks in the text to promote his various products. Adblock Plus on the Firefox browser failed to block his ads.

I’m very pleased to see that GRBrown  has decided to stand up for his principles by taking action to prevent intrusive advertising appearing on his computer.

This is even more commendable because he is prepared to uphold his principles even to the extent of losing the benefit of the piece he would otherwise be reading.

Bravo.

As for the less-principled of us – and that includes me – I’m very happy to glean all the useful titbits about the things which interest me and which I find around the Internet and for which the only thing I have pay is an almost subliminal inconvenience of having to step over or step around advertisements which appear as if by magic on my screen.

However, I admire Persons of Principle and so I admire  GRBrown  who presumably feels equally annoyed when he has to go into a supermarket and navigate his way around the dozens of shelves and the scores of items which are of no interest to him but which may attract the attention of others, on his way to picking up his morning loaf of bread or can of beans.  Or the newspaper shop which sells hundreds of titles when all he wants is his morning Daily Rag.  Or in the restaurant where the menu is sidetracked with all sorts of offerings in addition to the Miso-glazed Black Cod in Coconut Broth which is what  GRBrown wanted to eat all along.

But of course Persons of Principle would not go to supermarkets. They would simply look for a bread shop or a beans shop or a Daily Rag vendor or a Miso-Cod restaurant and they would travel some considerable distance to find them even if it might mean passing a good few convenience stores on the way. 

Bravo

• Like 4

I’m very pleased to see that GRBrown  has decided to stand up for his principles by taking action to prevent intrusive advertising appearing on his computer.

This is even more commendable because he is prepared to uphold his principles even to the extent of losing the benefit of the piece he would otherwise be reading.

Bravo.

As for the less-principled of us – and that includes me – I’m very happy to glean all the useful titbits about the things which interest me and which I find around the Internet and for which the only thing I have pay is an almost subliminal inconvenience of having to step over or step around advertisements which appear as if by magic on my screen.

However, I admire Persons of Principle and so I admire  GRBrown  who presumably feels equally annoyed when he has to go into a supermarket and navigate his way around the dozens of shelves and the scores of items which are of no interest to him but which may attract the attention of others, on his way to picking up his morning loaf of bread or can of beans.  Or the newspaper shop which sells hundreds of titles when all he wants is his morning Daily Rag.  Or in the restaurant where the menu is sidetracked with all sorts of offerings in addition to the Miso-glazed Black Cod in Coconut Broth which is what  GRBrown wanted to eat all along.

But of course Persons of Principle would not go to supermarkets. They would simply look for a bread shop or a beans shop or a Daily Rag vendor or a Miso-Cod restaurant and they would travel some considerable distance to find them even if it might mean passing a good few convenience stores on the way. 

Bravo

A bit over the top, isn’t it? You didn’t need to wield a sarcastic sledgehammer to crack GRBrown’s rather mild nut of a remark.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it not acceptable for the owner of a website to promote their own work? Given the time put into that review (extensive) and the cost (free), I don't understand the basis of your complaint.

I don't have a problem with advertisements than appear next to an article on someone's website. What I object to are advertisements that break up the text of an article that I'm trying to read.

I don't have a problem with advertisements than appear next to an article on someone's website. What I object to are advertisements that break up the text of an article that I'm trying to read.

Another First World Problem :)

I use Safari's Reader View for long form articles; it's not perfect (nothing is), but in this case it did not display the ads and still presented the "sidebar" styled content ("Three small words" and "Why is it called a camera?") and images in good condition. Works on devices and the desktop well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Haven't we already determined that the problem is with a browser add-on that you chose to use? Your problem, no?

CRTZMO's suggestion to use Safari with View -> Show Reader is wonderful!

safari-show-reader.jpg

Edited by pico

Haven't we already determined that the problem is with a browser add-on that you chose to use? Your problem, no?

CRTZMO's suggestion to use Safari with View -> Show Reader wonderful!

safari-show-reader.jpg

For pages that can be viewed in Reader View, a three horizontal line icon appears in the address bar, far left side. One quick click.

• Like 1

For pages that can be viewed in Reader View, a three horizontal line icon appears in the address bar, far left side. One quick click.

So very cool. Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if a site author can post a link to direct a Safari browser to make Safari render the site in Reader View?

I guess his site would have to detect the browser then offer (or not) the option. In plain text:

If the browser is Safari then alternate_url == 'reader view' [else yer screwed]

Edited by pico

Take it easy gents, it's photography, not thermonuclear war.

I'm all for photographers making money any way they can, including adverts that can be a bit annoying. Given today's "everything should be free" mindset, I'll gladly take the ads in exchange for some great insight from an old sage.  ;)

No reason for arguing over what is at best, a minor inconvenience.

Edited by Foxtwo
  • Like 4

The guys gotta earn a living..gotta pay the mortgage..in the arts profession..there are $$ angles that have to be endorsed..or in this case..Krona..lol...I don't fault him for that..and..its obvious he puts a lot of time and energy into this..and that's worth something..

Four lines on the iPhone, and once page loads, it briefly says 'Reader View Available' in the address bar. Tap to enter and again to exit. I use it frequently.

A top left 3 line icon also often appears to reveal a menu drop-down, which can provide useful article breakdowns or links. It's called a hamburger menu (no fries included).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Simples - no adverts, no article. Your problem me thinks, easily solved by passing "on the article (you) are trying to read". Jeez!