Affordable 35 mm

theshutterfalls

I'm a great fan of the Zeiss Biogon-C 35/2.8 if you don't need the speed, Ben. The Voigtländer Color Skopar is quite good as well, but somehow I did not mesh with the general character of the lens.

PS: What happened to Roguewave?

• Like 2

My apologizes, I'm not Jaap. I just done some street with Leica M cameras and several 35 lenses.

Jupiter-12 is the last lens I would recommend to use. To make it usable at top of 40-50 GBP (this is what they are worth maximum) you will need to re-lube focus part and aperture ring. Because 99% of J-12 sold are with dried lube. Then you will need to check if it needs re-shimming. And then you will need to make some marks on the filter to be able to see the aperture settings. If not, you have to look at the front of the lens every time you want to change it. At it is not as visible as on classic 50 3.5 Elmar. And then... J-12 flares like any other 35mm lens and hood is no help.

Color Skopar 35 comes in three versions. Two LTM, one M. M version is most suitable for street work. But if you are active street worker at some point the lens block will become loose. And you will need to deal with it periodically after it.

Zeiss 35 2.5 as any modern ZM Zeiss has tiny bump instead of normal focus tab and hard aperture clicks every 1/3 and very long aperture ring throw. If you zone focus with tab and adjust aperture (to keep same shutter speed) it is not the lens to be pleased with, IMO.

Summaron 35 2.8 as any Leitz 35, 50 lens skyrocketed in the price. It is possible to find Leica Summarit-M 35 2.5 under same price. And this one is superior for the street and trouble free lens.

I've enjoyed using an old Summaron 35/2.8 for an older rendering, and a Voigtländer Color Skopar 35/2.5 for a really crisp modern rendering. Either would be fine for your intended purpose...both small and discrete. This is one of my favorite street shots with the Summaron...a walk by hip shot using the timer on an M4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

As far as my lenses are concerned, the focus throw of Biogon 35/2.8 is similar to that of Summicron 35/2 v4 and 35/2 asph while that of Summarit 35/2.5 (no experience with 35/2.4) is a bit shorter and that of Summaron 35/2.8’s significantly longer. The Summarit’s focus ring is a bit lose and feels less handy for zone focusing to me but it is a matter of tastes and/or sample variation probably. The focus tab of Summarit 35/2.5 looks similar to other (current) M lenses while the Biogon’s focus bump looks the same as on other ZM lenses. The Summarit’s image quality is somewhat softer in borders and corners below f/5.6 compared to the Biogon which looks a bit more contrasty generally. Both Biogon and Summarit show little flare and smooth bokeh while Biogon shows more vignetting and Summarit more CA. Both great lenses having little to envy to more expensive lenses IMHO. 

• Like 1

I purchased the Summarit brand new and they are just Awesome. I am unsure if we are on V3 i think its V2 right now so the first version used should be good. Build is great. Doesnt have the classic rendering though. its more modern rendering. Coming from Sony & Nikon, I was a Zeiss fan boy. They are just awesome! I feel they have more saturated look / Zeiss POP. Either way dont cheap out too much on the lenses. Worst case scenario, buy a LTM one and adopt it to the M. I know many would say dont adopt a LTM. I bought a 90mm Elmar F4 for $91. Yes its old but its Leica. 

Please also consider the v2 or v3 Summicrons and the f/2.5 version of the new Summarit.  These are ~$1000 lenses, all quite decent.

Eric

My wonderful wife bought me the the new M.

Does she have an unmarried sister? :)

Kidding.

This thread is solid gold with good advice. I am habituated to the 35mm Summilux, version two. I am on my third one in forty years. Good luck to you!

• Like 1

I just want to say that the Summaron 35 is unbelievably good for a 60's lens and underestimated beside the Summicron 35 mk4 for that one stop where that Summicron isn't astounding from 2 to 2.8. The example shot from the hip given above is really not representative, nor very informative about its real character.

But: I really doubt whether you want to put this 60's lens on your new M10, if you really start with Leica for the first time at this point.

I don't know about the Zeiss, only that their hoods are often horrible; hard to get, not included in the purchase of the lens, in short a severe nuisance so short after your happy present from your wife. So the Summarit would be my safe choice if I were you, or peeeeerhaps the VC Color Skopar, only after trying.

Edited by otto.f

[...] I don't know about the Zeiss, only that their hoods are often horrible; hard to get, not included in the purchase of the lens, in short a severe nuisance [...]

Matter of tastes i guess. I have two ZM hoods and consider them my best vented hoods ever. Sturdy, nicely made, i prefer their fixation by bayonet to that of clip-on or screw-in Leica hoods personally. Given the reasonable price of the lenses i would not expect those superb hoods to be given for free but they are more affordable than their Leica counterparts anyway. Only con IMO they are not reversible on the lens for transportation. They are easy to find out in EU and USA by the way. YMMV.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Matter of tastes i guess. I have two ZM hoods and consider them my best vented hoods ever. Sturdy, nicely made, i prefer their fixation by bayonet to that of clip-on or screw-in Leica hoods personally. Given the reasonable price of the lenses i would not expect those superb hoods to be given for free but they are more affordable than their Leica counterparts anyway. Only con IMO they are not reversible on the lens for transportation. They are easy to find out in EU and USA by the way. YMMV.

attachicon.gifZM_Hood_5002e3520_crop.jpg

+1

I recently sold my Summicron 35 asph - being much more of a 50mm man I didn't use it enough to justify it. I have two 'cheapies' instead - Voigtländer 35/1.7 (LTM) and Canon LTM 35/2, both of which are excellent and cost about £300 each (so each a saving of £1200 on the Summicron!) The CV is more solidly built but rather larger, and has a slightly warmer tone; the Canon is diminutive and slightly cooler and has an odd filter/hood size. I'd be happy to keep either.