Tri Elmer 16-18-21

Super versatile and usually has its place in my bag, until and unless I know I will shoot in low light in which case I add the 21/1.4 or 24/1.4 or 28/1.4 as well. Works very well with film as well as digital cameras. The contrast isn't too high so it's my go-to for color as well as b&w work.

All in all, a fantastic lens you cannot go wrong with.

The main question is: what do you want to use it for? what do you shoot and how do you shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you mounted on on your camera yet? It's a lot bigger than the 21/3.4 which may or may not be an issue for you. Also on film you'll need the big frankenfinder which adds to the bulk.

The tradeoff for the addition of 18mm and 16mm is money and size.

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has this lens or could give me their opinions on this lens.

I have a 35 Summicron and 50 summilux .: I want to add something super wide and was trying to decide between this and 21 3.4 I appreciate your commentary on this lens.

I replaced my Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH with the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH.

The Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm is also commonly referred to as the WATE (Wide Angle Tri-Elmar) for short. 

The WATE is a fantastic lens and very versatile. Unless you need a faster lens, it's hard to beat in the ultra-wide range of focal lengths. Performance edge to edge and corner to corner is outstanding. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your response. I recently sold all my Sony gear and migrated to leica that being said I owned the holy trinity that included a 16-35 lens. I had that lens for general landscape work and sometimes I would use it for night. Later I invested in a 1.8 lens for Astro work which I am not a huge fan of. By habit I generally don't go over 1600 ISO and 30 sec exposure tops... so yes I don't think that lens will help me do any night work. I wanted to know about rendering and is it worth the 5k or should I rather invest in 21 super Elmer errr sorry Elmar :)

Thanks for your response. I recently sold all my Sony gear and migrated to leica that being said I owned the holy trinity that included a 16-35 lens. I had that lens for general landscape work and sometimes I would use it for night. Later I invested in a 1.8 lens for Astro work which I am not a huge fan of. By habit I generally don't go over 1600 ISO and 30 sec exposure tops... so yes I don't think that lens will help me do any night work. I wanted to know about rendering and is it worth the 5k or should I rather invest in 21 super Elmer errr sorry Elmar :)

Used will get you closer to 4K and look at it this way.......you're getting three $3,000 lenses for $4,000

That viewfinder is a work of art all in itself. If you've never seen one up close don't sell it short. It's works magnificently.

You're correct, but I do agree that it looks hideous!

(and I have seen and used one in person)

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

should I buy it new or used ? 

The perennial question that only you can answer based on your willingness to reduce your bank balance and the potential savings buying used. Is a 10% discount enough for you to buy used? How about 40%? There is a line for everyone, and only you know where your line is.

Unless I'm after a lens that's just been announced (and therefore not available to buy used), I see no reason to buy new. The WATE is over 10 years since release now.

• Like 1