Summicron 28mm-f/2-(2010)

rimbaud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new to the forum.

I wanted to inquire about a leica 28mm f/2 sum micron i purchased on eBay. It had a nick on the front element so it was a bit less expensive than usual. 

i read it supposedly has 1% distortion, or something along those lines. Doing some negatives today i ran across a mediocre shot, however noticed

quite a bit of distortion and wondered how this was possible given the claim i had read concerning this. Especially on the top right side it is going in a clockwise direction. However appears on the lower right the direction is counter-clockwise. Is this typical, or is there something dramatically wrong with this lens. 

Much thanks for any advise,

Richard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rimbaud

Maybe, your image show here the distortion pointed is due to when you took the photo, you were not facing "square" in front of the shop.

Do you have other images when you were "square" placed.

Here is effective distortion of Summicron-M 28mm (from summilux.net site) of 1%

Summicron28Asph-DE.jpg

It's perspective and reflections you're showing here, not distortion. Shooting at the middle of the window should correct horizontal perspective but better choose perfectly straight lines for that. The chart above doesn't lie, this lens has less than 1% distortion. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Definitely perspective distortion and probably not a totally flat window either, nothing to do with the lens.

My copy never shows anything I ever noticed in the real world, including horizons over sea. Enjoy! Super lens.

Mine shows very slight barrel distortion, corrected with a setting of 2 or 3 on the Lens Corrections panel distortion slider in Lightroom.

I agree that the example in post #1 is simply a matter of perspective, common to any lens. However wide angle lenses show it more strongly due to the nature of things. :)

Edited by Dougg