M7 user wants fastest "wake up / instant" digital M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Friends,

I have enjoyed my return to film with the M7, but now I want to add a digital M to the lineuo.  

As I have now been spoiled by the instant shooting available, which digital M can deliver?  I saw one article that suggested the fastest M was the M-D in sleep would wake almost instatnly compared to any others with LCD.

Is this true?  

Kind thanks

Velociphile

Many digital cameras have a wake-up time, and Leica is no exception, in fact many of their cameras are a bit sliggish. There is a simple remedy, though: as soon as you see a photographic situation developing, tap the shutter button. Or, alternately, switch the auto-sleep mode off.

• Like 2

My M10 has zero second / instant ready when ON (when needed instant wake-up, never put auto-sleep on, as easy as that).

Frame lines are always lit.

Better than my M (type 240) which turn off frame lines illumination quickly, even when ON .

• Like 1

I was surprised when I got the M240 that there actually was a delay in start/wake up which, by picking the right SD card and formatting it correctly, I got down to about 2 sec.

I didn't remember having any noticeable delay with the M9, but by then I'd got rid of it so couldn't check.

Making a wild guess, I attributed it to an inherent behavioural issue with a CMOS sensor compared to a CCD.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe it is me getting older but if I try counting how long it takes to switch on until it is ready (<2 secs) then I forget what I started out trying to calibrate.  :(

Anyway, with the M-P 240 I have never missed a shot.

Speed can be important, composure is more important. I was taught to forget time and compose well.

There is a huge difference between a snap and a photograph. A photograph is more important than speed.  B)

iPhone is probably fastest.

Maybe.... but my camera is at my side.....my  IPhone is probably in the car ....somewhere? 

Honestly, I know its a valid format but I never take seriously a cell phone photo. I always wonder if people really backup and  file cell phone photos ? To me its a strange format where most people don't complete the thought ....or print.

An enormous amount of cherished memories will be lost because of this format

.....thoughts welcome?

Maybe.... but my camera is at my side.....my  IPhone is probably in the car ....somewhere? 

Honestly, I know its a valid format but I never take seriously a cell phone photo. I always wonder if people really backup and  file cell phone photos ? To me its a strange format where most people don't complete the thought ....or print.

An enormous amount of cherished memories will be lost because of this format

.....thoughts welcome?

Exactly my thought. People (at least my friends) simply upload their pics to social media with no other backup/storage. Wonder what do they do when you need to change/upgrade phone. But then, in film days, the same people probably filed all prints in a shoe box/magnetic album, throwing away the negatives anyway with no long term archival plan. They only care so much about the "snaps". digital or otherwise. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

The only valid photos are those that have been taken with a real camera.

The only valid photos are those that have been taken for maximum sharpness, perfect composition and most realistic colour.

You can only take valid photos if you take time over each one, preparing for it, and taking it slowly and carefully. 

No photo that isn't carefully edited and stored for posterity is worth calling a photo.

No one who uses a smartphone can be called a real photographer.

Obviously.

My M10 has zero second / instant ready when ON (when needed instant wake-up, never put auto-sleep on, as easy as that).

Frame lines are always lit.

Better than my M (type 240) which turn off frame lines illumination quickly, even when ON .

That is weird. On my M240, whenever the camera is on, the framelines are on. Aren't you confusing this with auto-shutoff? There is no difference between the two in this respect.

That is weird. On my M240, whenever the camera is on, the framelines are on. Aren't you confusing this with auto-shutoff? There is no difference between the two in this respect.

To be sure, I have just make experience with my M 240, firmware 2.0.3.0

Auto-shut-off  set to off.

It's weird that the framelines are not always ON when the M is ON.

- switch to "S", after about 1 second, display framelines and ISO in finder

- the ISO is replaced by the shutter speed (set to "A")

- the display and framelines stay on 1 minute then off if I don't tap the shutter before that 1 minute

- if I tap the shutter, they are on longer, but not "as long as the M stays on"

Maybe, only with my sample of M240.

Exactly my thought. People (at least my friends) simply upload their pics to social media with no other backup/storage. Wonder what do they do when you need to change/upgrade phone. But then, in film days, the same people probably filed all prints in a shoe box/magnetic album, throwing away the negatives anyway with no long term archival plan. They only care so much about the "snaps". digital or otherwise. My 2 cents.

Absolutely but at lease in film days if you developed your film you got prints ....as you say, they went into a shoe box or album .......memories that still would last a generation maybe two.

I wonder....and worry  about the iPhone generation and what will happened to precious family memories....they never make prints generally don't organize photos and who knows about the clouds direction

I was appalled when my Niece, who took a lot of photos in the 1980s told me...... the negatives in the shoe box were cluttering up the closet....so she chucked them

I do think the iPhone is a valid format like a Polaroid .......but the user doesn't think past capturing the moment......  not saving it.

Sorry for going off topic......but I really do wonder about this tangent I've taken you on.

• Like 1