M10 battery life

Bobby

Hi Bobby

This has been discussed quite a lot. You might try the search engine in the M10 thread.

Off course it depends how much you use the LCD,chimping and tool around with settings, etc.

I would think most people would consider carrying a spare battery for a whole-day shooting.

Cheers...

I have been using two batteries for a whole day of shooting.

A day for me on a recent long trip was usually 250 to 450 images and I never looked to see how many I got with the M10. One day, however, I shot nearly 500 with the M10 and it required a switch out. I am thinking I got around 250 shots per battery but that is just a guess.

The manual reports that it will take at least three full discharges and re-charges to get the M10 battery operating at its maximum capacity. Now that I have reached that threshold I will start to take notice to see if I need to buy a third battery for those extra long days and/or cold weather.

P.S. I just looked at Lightroom as I remember one day when I missed a great series of shots of a guy hand throwing a net for river fish because my battery died and my extra was in my bag in the car. I only got 144 images on the first battery but it was a day of experimentation and I used the LCD screen and a lot of reviewing images after I shot them. That is a pretty poor number of images on one battery even considering loads of chimping. Fortunately, it is something I usually do not engage in.

Buy a spare!

Edited by coupdefoudre

Today the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle had a parade in celebration of the summer solstice. I managed to get a press pass for it so I could get better access to the participants.

I did a lot of shooting with my M10 today.

On one full battery I shot 1190 frames -- I'm completely serious and not joking at all. At the end of the day, I was down to around 10% battery. I had a spare battery in my pocket that I fully expected to use but I never had to touch.

This was a lot of fast shooting with very minimal chimping since I didn't have much of an opportunity to even if I wanted to. No live view was used today, either with the back LCD or with the visoflex.

Using as an "analog M", now one battery on M10 last about 400 views, quite comfortable for me.

In the beginning, it started as 200-250 only when new.

If using LV or Visoflex, only 200-300.

As usual, if not really using it, take out that Visoflex.

Always have a second battery at reach.

Today the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle had a parade in celebration of the summer solstice. I managed to get a press pass for it so I could get better access to the participants.

I did a lot of shooting with my M10 today.

On one full battery I shot 1190 frames -- I'm completely serious and not joking at all. At the end of the day, I was down to around 10% battery. I had a spare battery in my pocket that I fully expected to use but I never had to touch.

This was a lot of fast shooting with very minimal chimping since I didn't have much of an opportunity to even if I wanted to. No live view was used today, either with the back LCD or with the visoflex.

That's a lot of naked hippies! 

I have two batteries for my M10 and have not had any concern it wasn't enough for a full day of shooting.

I think the key thing that others have mentioned, the battery takes a few cycles to work to it's full capacity. Early complainers of battery life may have been unaware of this fact.

For me the battery issue is nothing to be concerned about.

On vacation in London I went 8 am to midnight on one battery. I did turn the camera off about half the time between uses but that is a habit carrying over from Sony a7 bodies. I never found the real need turn the camera off with auto off set to 2minutes and the battery lasted all day.

Having charged M10 batteries at least a hundred times I can say this:

When 200 frames are shot in an hour the battery goes down 20%.

When 200 frames are shot in a day the battery does down 65%.

Camera used as analog M; review off, no LV, no chimping. 2 minutes auto sleep.

My conclusion is that M10 consumes much more power when on than the M240.

Edited by ELAN

IMV carrying a spare battery for ANY camera is mandatory if you are serious about not missing anything. The simple fact is, batteries can fail, or more possibly you will need to have your current battery on charge, which is exactly when you need to shoot. In my experience, a common scenario is to leave the most recently used battery on charge in the hotel room while you go out for dinner or whatever and fit your second battery in the cam for night shooting. Just one of many scenarios where a minimum of two batteries is mandatory. At $200 each that is not cheap backup for something so basic, but it's a fact of life.

IMV carrying a spare battery for ANY camera is mandatory if you are serious about not missing anything. The simple fact is, batteries can fail, or more possibly you will need to have your current battery on charge, which is exactly when you need to shoot. In my experience, a common scenario is to leave the most recently used battery on charge in the hotel room while you go out for dinner or whatever and fit your second battery in the cam for night shooting. Just one of many scenarios where a minimum of two batteries is mandatory. At $200 each that is not cheap backup for something so basic, but it's a fact of life.

Before I went on a major overseas trip, I bought two extra original batteries for the M9.  I was getting about 450 images per charge, but wanted to make sure that I didn't run out during the day.  I never went past one battery in any given day, but just knowing I had spares meant I could shoot with complete abandon.  Just get a couple of spares and feel secure.

And not a bad idea to travel with a spare charger.

Jeff

I agree.  Some Leica chargers are prone to break down, plus which after a heavy or prolonged shoot it can very useful to charge more than battery at a time. When shooting theatre rehearsals with two M8's (years ago) I always had my first battery immediately on charge while using #2, just in case I needed a third batt.

I ran 360 before I noticed the low battery indicator and changed batteries before the first was flat. That is a little bit less than I get with my original Monochrom.

I may pick up a third battery for wilderness jaunts.