Repainted M2 or black chrome M4?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find myself in a bit of an odd situation. I've had an M6 for 6 years, and shot about 300+ rolls of film with it. Recently I got an M4 (in serious user condition) as a backup and to use with my second lens. Anyway, I ended up selling my second lens and now find myself reaching only for the M4 and my once loved M6 had been on the shelf. I made a decision that I just wanted one camera, so listed my M4 on eBay (with the idea that my M6 was a bit sentimental - my first M), but my M4 hasn't sold and I'm still reaching for it over my M6. Today I decided that I really don't appear to like the M6 - I never reached for it and it was seriously worn so I decided to sell it. I listed it at what I thought was a high price (over 2x what I paid for it) to just test the waters, but it sold almost instantly (obviously I didn't list it high enough :D ). 

So now to my question - sort of. I want to change my user M4 for a nice black M2 or M4 to use, not collect. My budget ($2000-$2500 AUD) stretches to a repainted black paint M2 or a black chrome M4 - so I've narrowed it down to those two. I'm not really keen on chrome cameras - my current M4 is chrome and I don't really like the look of it (I know I'm super shallow :wub: ).

So now my question, what is the collective group thought on repainted M2's vs black chrome M4's?

FWIW I only use a 35mm and don't anticipate getting a 135mm lens (which the M4 could use over the M2) and on the M4 I find the 135mm framelines get a bit annoying in the 35mm frame.

Thanks in advance.

I have an M2 and a BP M4. I'd get the black chrome M4. An M2 should be chrome or original BP.

With the M4, there are more options. Black chrome is rare, attractive and desirable.

Get the M4 ;)

Cheers

J ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Michael, not that simple for me neither.

And if you ask yourself which one M2 or M4 tick your bill as user leaving apart the body finish.

In repainted M2, you may find only black paint.

M4 exist as BP or Black Chrome to choose from.

I used two M4 (one BP and one BC) but now they are "bettered" by two M-A.

In M4 + 35mm, the 135 frame lines I use as guidance for composition.

Some may have them removed by a tech (it's easy).

As side note, my one M2 has M4's finder and it's great.

Mmmm, I will admit I using the 135mm frame to make sure my horizons are horizontal...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Michael, not that simple for me neither.

And if you ask yourself which one M2 or M4 tick your bill as user leaving apart the body finish.

In repainted M2, you may find only black paint.

M4 exist as BP or Black Chrome to choose from.

I used two M4 (one BP and one BC) but now they are "bettered" by two M-A.

It's not that simple, as a user either the M2 or M4 is nice. As for the BP M4, I'd like an original but they have risen far beyond what I'm willing to pay. Essentially I'll be swapping an user M6 and a user M4 for one camera, I don't want to start adding in extra cash - I'd prefer to spend it on film!

To be honest I never really considered the BC M4 until I held the BC M-A, it is beautiful, but way out of my price range - and I use the self timer a bit too.

Far from user market, I have no idea how expensive are M4 BP or BC.

But I think that repainted M2 cost less than either M4 BP or BC.

In France, I have seen some nice repainted M2s at 1100 to 1300 euros which were sold quickly.

Repainted M2s are in AUD 1800-2200, BC M4 2200-4500 (seems to depend on the seller rather than condition with nice German ones about 2400, Canadian about 3300 and 50th anniversary 4500) and BP M4s from 3700 up.

Edited by michaelwj

You must have really mild climate where you are. With plenty of clouds. I went to take pictures today and local weather is hell. My black bag was oven inside, but M3 and white lens on it reflected this crappy sun.

So now my question, what is the collective group thought on repainted M2's vs black chrome M4's?

FWIW I only use a 35mm

If you can deal with the M2 loading spool, then I suggest the M2. I love the clean viewfinder of the M2. Put some money aside for a possible CLA, however good judgement suggests that a repaint has already been been cleaned while disassembled. (But we never know.)

Regarding the loading spool, there is a Leica Rapid Load Kit that worked very well for me. We have a subscriber here named  'Stray Cat' who has one of my M2s with the Rapid Load. Inquire with him, or he might chime in here.

Edited by pico

Talking about loading:

- my first M was (very long time ago) a second hand silver M4, perfect camera with nothing to care about, but needed CLA from time to time

- after that holy time came other M (M5 with "perfect inbody meter", M6 modernised of all, ... M3 to try, ...MP why not) all easy loading and more features

- then one day I have M2 and some more, this one is the less practical of M (to be honest it would be MDa ;) but that is another story)

- I do like the crude M2 with "minimum syndical" (in french, sorry I don't know the term in english)

- M2 not easy (but safest as you said) loading as I discovered later with LTM Leica

- the not self-reset counter is very visible on M2

- one add-on late batch M2 that is a move in wrong direction is the one with finder and dof indicator on patch

As side note, if you buy one send it to be CLAnd by one reputed tech to have one "perfect" to use with pleasure and pride.

• Like 1