Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what a Weston Master V looks like after Ian Partridge has waved his magic wand over it. http://ian-partridge.com/westonrepair.html I have no connection with him other than a satisfied customer.

Sadly he could not rebuild my little Leicameter 2, as there are no spare photo cells for this. They were a specially made cell, considerably smaller than other meters use, which Metrawatt made themselves for the Leicameters and identical Metraphot meters. They supplied spares up until about 2009 but have now run out and do not intend to make any more. You cannot cut down a larger photocell, as that destroys it. 

Wilson

wow looks so exotic. I wouldnt even know how to work it. 

I always found my father to be the only thing more accurate than a Weston Master V, even with the incident light dome on. I found it extraordinary that he could be using his Leica with 10 ASA Kodachrome 1 in it and at the same time, 200/400 ASA HP3 or Tri-X B&W in his Super Ikonta and without really thinking about it, still get all the exposures correct, including compensating for bright or dark backgrounds. He could not really understand why everyone was not able do this. Kodachrome 1 had a very narrow latitude to make the slides look correct. Any over-exposure looked horrible on a projector. I am just about able to estimate within the latitude of a B&W film but only at 100 ISO. For colour film, I always use a meter. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If you want your old Weston to be totally accurate, Ian Partridge in the UK restores these meters with a new selenium cell, so that they then look and work like new.

Wilson

I had thought of sending it to Ian, the last one cost me £5 on eBay and works a treat, it also looks like new, when it does fail I will send it for refurbishment. I especially like using it with my Leica M2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk