Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all- Thanks for your response in advance. 

I bought a used M240 recently followed by a new MP 240. I am new to Leica and come from the Sony/Nikon world. so please excuse me if this question is stupid. 

I set both camera's to exact same firmware, same menu settings, same metering modes etc Below are my observations can you please validate if there is a issue

1. The LCD on MP240 looks less brighter and has a more warmer tone than M240 - Is this the case because of the Sapphire glass? 

2. MP 240 under exposes compared to M 240? - same conditions, same lens,  I tend to find MP 240 under exposing. is this common? 

3. The B&W Film simulation images from MP 240 are a bit more vintagy looking than M240 or bit warmer than M240? 

Please see the attached image for the LCD issue (maybe not a issue). ignore the metering in the image thats just me playing around. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I really appreciate your assistance in validating the above. Glad to be a part of this community. 

- Donny 

Leica seem to have adopted a minimalist approach when designing the LCDs. They don't attempt to show true colours (shooting raw, it would be irrelevant). They do give you all the information you need to have confidence in what you have captured. I don't have a P to compare. Don't forget exposure is an art not a science.

Welcome to the forum.

I have never seen a camera where the LCD rendered an image identical to a calibrated screen, despite some brands incorporating colour controls (has anybody ever used that gimmick?)

Nor does an LCD give a reliable indication of exposure, it is too dependent on ambient light and LCD brightness settings, not to mention the variability of human perception.

Exposure is indicated by clipping warnings and the histogram.

It is indeed the case that there are two different LCDs that render differently. A bit sloppy by Leica, annoying to users with two different models, but of no importance photographically.

There are some threads buried in the forum that remarked on the fact when the second series came out. The search function will reveal them.

The display difference between the 'P' and the 'non P' is not a difference because its a P and a non P camera...

I have a M240 one of the earliest ones with the colder toned screen and a M240 which is a year newer than the other with the warmer screen...

The warmer screen in my opinion is the better one. 

Hi Donny,

Welcome to the forum.

1-Sometime between the early and later batches of M240's the color balance changed. ( maybe a supplier change)I don't remember wether it was from warm to cool or vice versa. So there is variation even among the M240s. I don't believe the sapphire glass itself has a color tint to it.

2-Both cameras should give the same exposure under identical conditions. Are you using manual exposure. Fixed ISO and center weighted metering and viewing results on an external monitor?

3- B/W film simulations should be identical when viewed on an external monitor.

Hope this helps,

Kwesi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for responding to this thread. Very humbled by your response. Ok, so the LCD issue might not be a issue based on your suggestions. I think it might be the supplier thing. I purchased the M240 used  and the MP was last week. So it had to be the Cold to Warm transition. 

Metering - when used in Auto the issue of under exposed issue was occurring. Yes, as a Leica user i am expected to control light by use of manual controls which i have no issues doing but then the light meter is sort of useless for me. Just like zone focusing now i am zone metering if there is such a term. 

Update as of today morning: Well so I thought hmm i never removed the battery since i got it, let me do that. Guess what it started metering right!!! Bonkers isnt it? IF i see such issues again, ill come back but i am really surprised. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome and response to my thread. Here to learn a lot from you all

Thank you all for responding to this thread. Very humbled by your response. Ok, so the LCD issue might not be a issue based on your suggestions. I think it might be the supplier thing. I purchased the M240 used  and the MP was last week. So it had to be the Cold to Warm transition. 

Metering - when used in Auto the issue of under exposed issue was occurring. Yes, as a Leica user i am expected to control light by use of manual controls which i have no issues doing but then the light meter is sort of useless for me. Just like zone focusing now i am zone metering if there is such a term. 

Update as of today morning: Well so I thought hmm i never removed the battery since i got it, let me do that. Guess what it started metering right!!! Bonkers isnt it? IF i see such issues again, ill come back but i am really surprised. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome and response to my thread. Here to learn a lot from you all

Glad to here things are sorting themselves out.

Your photos are wonderful by the way. Check out the 21/3.4 SEM when you have a chance. I think you will have a blast with it.

Cheers,

Kwesi

• Like 1

Kwesi - Thank you! How did you check my photos? On instagram? Yes i plan on buying the 21. need to save :)

If you click on a member's name or photo it takes you to their profile. you have your website listed there.

Not entirely relevant I know, but I nearly always use a separate light meter with my 240 P I even find an old Weston meter is within half a stop of my sekonics, depending on what I am taking I will meter for the highlights and adjust by 2.5 stops or selectively measure for the subject, I always find the results more accurate than the built in meter

Not entirely relevant I know, but I nearly always use a separate light meter with my 240 P I even find an old Weston meter is within half a stop of my sekonics, depending on what I am taking I will meter for the highlights and adjust by 2.5 stops or selectively measure for the subject, I always find the results more accurate than the built in meter

You know i was thinking of buying one. I saw someone carry a meter and there are the usual 'youtubers' making fun of people carrying meters. To that i say well if your camera is always on auto white balance and you dont care about grey cards or dont even know what that is, you can get away with the built in meters. ... So i agree, I am considering one to buy. I generally shoot landscape / city so now since i am using both my leica's since past few months, I am now using the meter as just a reference point now. Kinda like what Jaapv said about screens. 

• Like 1

Wait. What. You "never removed the battery since I got it". So you'd never charged the battery? I use up a battery every day to day-and-a-half. That's for a M-P typ 240. LOL.

Play with it, look at pics on computer, not the screen so much.  As for metering, I suggest you get used to using spot meter, shutter speed set to auto, f: stop at what you want to use, ISO fast enough to avoid camera shake (60 or 125 and up).  Once you've got that set up, you 'capture' the shutter speed by grabbing one from a medium bright area anywhere around you by holding the shutter speed button down 1/2 way, a little red light will appear in front of the setting in the view finder confirms.  Keeping it held 1/2 way down. Focus, compose - shoot.

On the screen it may look a little under exposed which is perfect to work with on the computer.  Very easy to bring up the low end in PS or LR - but if your highs are blown out, no way to recover them.

PLAY AND LEARN!!  You'll be expert after about 30 hours of tests and 100's of shots.  These cameras are beasts - use them!

If you want your old Weston to be totally accurate, Ian Partridge in the UK restores these meters with a new selenium cell, so that they then look and work like new. 

Wilson

• Like 2

This is what a Weston Master V looks like after Ian Partridge has waved his magic wand over it. http://ian-partridge.com/westonrepair.html I have no connection with him other than a satisfied customer.

Sadly he could not rebuild my little Leicameter 2, as there are no spare photo cells for this. They were a specially made cell, considerably smaller than other meters use, which Metrawatt made themselves for the Leicameters and identical Metraphot meters. They supplied spares up until about 2009 but have now run out and do not intend to make any more. You cannot cut down a larger photocell, as that destroys it. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Wait. What. You "never removed the battery since I got it". So you'd never charged the battery? I use up a battery every day to day-and-a-half. That's for a M-P typ 240. LOL.

Lol well, my dealer always charges the battery before he gives me the camera so as soon as i had it, i was ready to play with it. as an update i really have started to ignore the metering.