I still love my M9 / M-E

Rus

Happy for you. Mine has disappeared into Leica New Jersey limbo. They acknowledged receipt in June, and have ignored attempted emails and calls since. Now I recall why I started using independent service techs around 1980; but with the M9 sensor...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have recently been contemplating the purchase of a used digital M, and the M9 seems to fit my budget. Sadly all this talk of sensors needing replacing is putting me off the idea. So you guys who have made the leap to digital, should I do it or should i keep feeding my M2 with Tri_X?

I've just bought a used M9 on ebay the seller advertised it as "Sensor Replaced". Happy man but frustratingly waiting for delivery of my 35mm f2 Summicron.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently much-used combo :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Very unusual lens - could you tell us more about it?

It is actually just an ordinary Cron 40/2 lens, which was originally black. I sent it to Cameraworks-UK to have it converted to silver :) The lens being made of aluminium, it is difficult to achieve a perfect colour match, but it is close enough. 

Edited by Rus

I still love mine.

I really enjoyed using my M8.2 when the 9 was away for it's latest sensor replacement (it's now on it's 4th sensor) but it's nice to have the old girl back!

Out of curiosity I've just checked and the shutter count is 60,474...... :o......how come it doesn't look trashed?!...

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

I still love mine.

I really enjoyed using my M8.2 when the 9 was away for it's latest sensor replacement (it's now on it's 4th sensor) but it's nice to have the old girl back!

Out of curiosity I've just checked and the shutter count is 60,474...... :o......how come it doesn't look trashed?!...

Pip.

Wow, mine has 36800 and has plenty of brass. I wish mine was looking as fresh as yours!

Today I went to Leica dealer with my M-E. For obvious reason... Not from one I got it new in 2016, while on visiting motherland, but more advanced, local Leica dealer. As result... all I have Leica made for now is beaten M4-2 with two Leica lenses. Well... and useless on this film M Leica flash. So, I was looking at what else Leica made for first time. Leica X-U and X... slim cameras. big lenses. So is Q. And then this new a-la Barnack CL... Yea... Fatty M240 with tiny wheel...  

I didn't spot M10...

Anyway now after seeing all of those, I like M-E even more. :)

• Like 1

I absolutely love my M9 ... a little brassing - looks great with my silver Summicron 35 ASPH (and well balanced with that heavy brass lens).

I can compare it directly to the Nikon Df, which has a full frame 18Mp CMOS sensor and in anything but very low light & high ISO, the Leica wins by a mile. 

The CCD sensor records more color range and better (sharper) monochromatic detail (like in foliage). I would say most film like.

Hang on to your M9s - it will be a classic one day (if it isn't already).

Oh, and btw. no sensor issues on mine so far (maybe it was replaced by a previous owner - I couldn't find that out).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for links about M-E and Monochrome photographer I know and bumped into Brice Gulden words about M9:

http://blog.leica-camera.com/2013/01/17/bruce-gilden-postcards-from-america-magnum-miami/

"..being a street photographer and working in crowded areas where the people are generally moving quite fast, the M9 camera is ideal for me..."

I'm nowhere near to Gulden in 2013. Not now. :) If M9 was ideal for him in 2013, why I should have problems with M-E in 2018?

What actually changed? Streets are the same, light is the same. Nothing has really changed in terms of photography. 

And I don't mind to use flash on M-E, well, not for the street, yet :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a new cover and sensor in 2016, about 29k now, in my shoulder bag every day  ;)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...