Need some information SL with flash

Ashkanani1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

After months of comparing and deciding where to go M10 or SL I finally made up my mind after trying today both camera on Leica Mayfair and the SL is the tailored made camera for my need.

Now I am travel photographer mainly I visit villages around the world and I need one off camera flash and wireless trigger to match it with SL, only radio triggers fit my needs so forget about the optical one and never use TTL always manual so would like to know what you guys use with your SL?

Another important question is there is a way to turn off the exposure preview/simulation in the camera as I don't want to look through a dark view finder after setting up my flash setting? And if there is and you turn it off is the EVF bright enough and act like an optical one in the dim light situation ?

Thanx guys

For manual wireless I use both Godox and Elinchrom almost every day. I use the Godox 360's and they're brilliant although you might consider the newer, more compact Godox 200 series.

You can turn off exposure preview in Manual mode on the camera but not in PAS with the latest firmware. You used to be able to do it but firmware 3 removed that functionality which was a mistake. I would suggest you write an email to Leica requesting its return. They do seem to listen to users and we've gotten some brilliant updates (and lost a few nice features unfortunately) because of customer feedback.

Compared to an optical finder there's advantages and disadvantages with exp preview OFF. In dim light the image quality through the viewfinder isn't as good as an optical finder. On the other hand it's MUCH brighter so you can almost see in the dark.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

I have a set of Cactus v5 transceiver/triggers that work great with a host of different manual/automatic flash units I have littering the closet. ;-)

Mostly, though, I use flash very sparingly and mostly use a nice, small Nikon SB30 when I do. I have no dedicated function, TTL metering capable flash units. 

Personally, I only ever use Manual exposure mode when I'm using flash. Sometimes I use the flash unit's auto exposure, if it has it. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

All the Yongnuo Nikon pin triggers and flashes work fine and are very cheap and excellent quality.

Thats look great

But using the flash and trigger control from Yongnuo will i be able to control the power of the flash from the trigger control or i have to adjust the power manually from the flash back and can not be controlled from the trigger?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For manual wireless I use both Godox and Elinchrom almost every day. I use the Godox 360's and they're brilliant although you might consider the newer, more compact Godox 200 series.

You can turn off exposure preview in Manual mode on the camera but not in PAS with the latest firmware. You used to be able to do it but firmware 3 removed that functionality which was a mistake. I would suggest you write an email to Leica requesting its return. They do seem to listen to users and we've gotten some brilliant updates (and lost a few nice features unfortunately) because of customer feedback.

Compared to an optical finder there's advantages and disadvantages with exp preview OFF. In dim light the image quality through the viewfinder isn't as good as an optical finder. On the other hand it's MUCH brighter so you can almost see in the dark.

Gordon

Thanks

I think switching it off in M is all what I need

Never use the flash in PAS modes

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I checked the website,even the 200 is so small,wondering if you still bring stand for this light? 

Hi Gordon, I checked the website,even the 200 is so small,wondering if you still bring stand for this light? 

Yes, the 200 ist small and (relatively) powerful. I use a Manfrotto Nanopole for this flash. 

How much light do you need ? 

I have work's SMDV BRiHT-360 at the moment and it is very impressive - GN72m at 100iso with the standard reflector (which has a very wide coverage) and the flashwave trigger allows remote power adjustment.

Manual, Non-HSS only with the leica, but a bucketload of power in a form factor not much bigger than a speed light.

I no longer need one, but i would have loved a pair of them in my previous job - I still managed to do a lot of nice work with a pair of speed lights - there is plenty of options for reasonably priced flashes and triggers now - I still use my 580EX and 580EX2 from when i owned canons, and Pocketwizard ControlTL remotes (I would recommend something a bit smaller than these - they were great at launch, but there is better options now)

I'm still waiting for my 360's to break before I am allowed to get a 200.... But they're too reliable :)

When I travel I always carry a tall tripod (7 foot with centre column) so I also use that as a light stand if needed. It's very stable. All I had to do to make it compatible was get one of those little plastic hotshoe stands and attach an arca swiss plate to it. Now everything fits.

It's not the light but the modifiers and wind that seem to break flashes on stands outdoors so I also carry a gorrilla pod and a tie down strap. They're useful for a bunch of stuff. Also My tripod has a removable leg so I can use that as a boom arm and get a volunteer to hold it at a decent height If I need to.

The only thing I can't do is HSS. For work I don't really need it often. But I am going to investigate some solutions in the future. I do have another system with leaf shutter lenses if it were essential.

Gordon

except Leica flash, both Yongnuo, or godox can not use TTL on SL right?  

also will godox support HSS?

No TTL or HSS. But you can control output for multiple heads from the trigger. This is the only advertised Leica HSS solution I have seen.

http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/

Others have had success with TT1/TT5 transmitters/receivers but I have yet to try those ideas myself.

Gordon

No TTL or HSS. But you can control output for multiple heads from the trigger. This is the only advertised Leica HSS solution I have seen.

http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/

Others have had success with TT1/TT5 transmitters/receivers but I have yet to try those ideas myself.

Gordon

tt1/tt5 work as triggers, and you can get remote power control (at 1/90th) with an AC3 - but you dont get TTL/HSS.

For the money there is much better options available.

• Like 1

Since I use SL I haven't try with flash for the first day today, I am quite confused with the result today , please help me to improve.

I use flash for the night portraits background some night city skyline. I found the auto focus are out of function for 90 percent of the time, when I switch to manual mode, since the focus ring doesn't make the distance , I have no indication of should turn left or right, the red outline are barely visible since the person I try to take the picture with is too dark.

And I m using old SF20 often even I adjust the output to 1/8th still comes out too bright......

I remember when using this flash with my m6 film the night portrait with flash working very well blend in with the background when I adjust light output to 1/4 or 1/8 , but it is obviously not the case with the SL...

Advise please.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from what I remember, SF20 is not compatible

Correct, I think you need at least the SF24 to be SL compatible-dedicated. The SF20 was from the M6TTL era in the middle 1990s. 

But manual output control on the flash unit should work correctly anyway...? You should be able to get 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 power levels from it manually. I haven't had an SF20 for over 15 years so I can't test that with a flash meter... 

Correct, I think you need at least the SF24 to be SL compatible-dedicated. The SF20 was from the M6TTL era in the middle 1990s.

But manual output control on the flash unit should work correctly anyway...? You should be able to get 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 power levels from it manually. I haven't had an SF20 for over 15 years so I can't test that with a flash meter...

Yes, on the SL the SF20 manual mode is working, I can adjust the level to 1/2 1/4 1/8 etc.... but even at the 1/8 when I use at night it is still too bright,

I am a bit confused does the manual mode should work with SL like any other leica flash in manual mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but even at the 1/8 when I use at night it is still too bright,

Which settings do you use on the SL?

A-Mode, M-Mode, which ISO (or Auto-ISO), wich aperture, which minimum shutter speed etc.?

Maybe you can also share a sample picture.

• Like 1