Lens Storage: Temperature

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What temperature do you usually store your camera?

My problem is the outside temperature in my country ranges from 29 to 40C. So if my dry cabinet's temperature ranges from 22-29C, my lens will condense when I bring it outside.  

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Why not sit your camera, etc, in an open plastic bag in the cabinet? Close the bag with a spring loaded clothes pin as you reach into the cabinet to take it/them out.

Then let it/them sit at the outside temperature for a little while after removing it/them from the cabinet.

This way the condensation will occur on the outside of the plastic bag & what is inside the bag, including inside the range/viewfinder, will remain dry & will not fog up.

Then take it/them out of the plastic bag(s) & enjoy taking photos.

Same going back into the cabinet:

Put it/them in an open plastic bag as you put it/them in the cabinet & leave it/them there with the bag open until you are ready to take it/them out again.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

I keep four cameras and six lenses in my truck all the time, and worry not. However, for the unusual collectible (only two) for no good reason are kept in obsessively conditioned containers. Silly me.

Thank you for the info. My  main problem is if I store my dry-cabinet in my air-condition room, the temperature inside the dry cabinet reach 21C. Of course I'll turn off the air-conditioner when leaving for work etc. When I go back the temperature in the dry cabinet reaches up to 30C. Hence, there is a little condensation  (I suppose).  

However, if I store my dry cabinet outside my room, where there is no air-conditioner, the temperature starts with 28 to 31C.  My main concern now is it too hot that the lubricants in the lens will evaporate etc. 

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Why not sit your camera, etc, in an open plastic bag in the cabinet? Close the bag with a spring loaded clothes pin as you reach into the cabinet to take it/them out.

Then let it/them sit at the outside temperature for a little while after removing it/them from the cabinet.

This way the condensation will occur on the outside of the plastic bag & what is inside the bag, including inside the range/viewfinder, will remain dry & will not fog up.

Then take it/them out of the plastic bag(s) & enjoy taking photos.

Same going back into the cabinet:

Put it/them in an open plastic bag as you put it/them in the cabinet & leave it/them there with the bag open until you are ready to take it/them out again.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by stephengv

First of  all I am not a collector haha. Good for you that you can store it in the truck. I live in a tropical country, where temperature starts at around 29C to 40C. Not to mention that relative humidity ranges from 40 to 80RH.  

I keep four cameras and six lenses in my truck all the time, and worry not. However, for the unusual collectible (only two) for no good reason are kept in obsessively conditioned containers. Silly me.

Edited by stephengv

There is a video on Leica published by B&H which is about an hour long where this guy takes a m240 and stands on it. Basically demonstrated how strong they are built. You should check it out. I shot in rain once for a full day and nothing happened. I am in NYC. I say you are worrying too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your comments. The threat of fungus in a tropical country with very high humidity is real. Trust me. I have numerous slr lenses before that had fungus.

With regard to high temperature, I have no idea haha. 

I think I said this before. Why don't you speak to fellow photographers (or photography businesses) in your area about what they do. You will get practical and useful advice.

What temperature do you usually store your camera?

My problem is the outside temperature in my country ranges from 29 to 40C. So if my dry cabinet's temperature ranges from 22-29C, my lens will condense when I bring it outside.  

My dry cabinet is in my bedroom which is usually at about 26C on a warm day, with the air conditioning off. I set my air conditioning at 24C when I am at home.I live in Singapore, which is 1.5 degree north of the equator with an average RH of over 80%+ daily. Since we have about 180 days of rain per year, the RH is often close to 100%. The highest daily temperature is about 33C, although it can be as high as 36C. Usually, I do not have issue with condensation when I remove my cameras or lenses from the dry cabinet and bring them outside. Maybe you can try to zip lock your camera and lens and let them reach the ambient outdoor temperature before using them. When I was in Inner Mongolia in the winter, the outside temperature went down as low as -25C. I zip locked my camera and lenses before bring them back to my room in the hotel. This is to prevent condensation on the camera and lenses. 

Thank you, I'll head your advice. My average temperature when the air-conditioning is off is at 28-30C. I just hope it does not result to oil or lubricant evaporation. 

My dry cabinet is in my bedroom which is usually at about 26C on a warm day, with the air conditioning off. I set my air conditioning at 24C when I am at home.I live in Singapore, which is 1.5 degree north of the equator with an average RH of over 80%+ daily. Since we have about 180 days of rain per year, the RH is often close to 100%. The highest daily temperature is about 33C, although it can be as high as 36C. Usually, I do not have issue with condensation when I remove my cameras or lenses from the dry cabinet and bring them outside. Maybe you can try to zip lock your camera and lens and let them reach the ambient outdoor temperature before using them. When I was in Inner Mongolia in the winter, the outside temperature went down as low as -25C. I zip locked my camera and lenses before bring them back to my room in the hotel. This is to prevent condensation on the camera and lenses. 

• 4 months later...

It is very unlikely that lubricant oil used in cameras and lenses would evaporate (it has a low vapor pressure, low volatility). Higher temperature for sure changes the viscosity of the oil - possible that it might flow into other lens areas over a longer period of time at high storage temperature. The oil might also become more greasy by then and clog certain functions.

I was told by Malcolm Taylor (who knows a thing or two about Leicas) not to leave my lenses with the aperture closed down as this can allow lubricant evaporation onto the lens elements.

• Like 1

. . . I never heard such a thing. If that was true then it would probably have been mentioned in the instruction booklet that goes with the lens.That is anyway my reasoning.

I must admit that I just read the booklet and its the first time I did that. There is no mention of the fat on the blades . . . .

Will a higher temperature result to oil in aperture blades? 

I asked the Leica NJ tech guys about M lenses and how much heat it would take to cause damage.  The gent I talked to said that  M lenses are rated for use in up to +140 Fahrenheit (+60 Celsius) temperatures. 

As long as you do not leave your lenses to bake in a closed up car in the summer sun - or go to Death Valley or Iraq during the summer - your lenses will be safe from heat damage. 

Probably.

Interesting and timely.  I had another oil in the aperture blade issue.

My lens was sent to Germany for some dust issue last September. It came back with an oil in the aperture blade (which did not exist before). Now my 35mm Summicron ASPH is on its way back to Germany for the removal of the Oil in the Aperture blades. Very disappointing. 

Leica Germany told me:

**The lenses were OK before shipping, maybe the negative pressure in the cargo hold of the aircraft caused the oily aperture blades**

As long as you do not leave your lenses to bake in a closed up car in the summer sun - or go to Death Valley or Iraq during the summer - your lenses will be safe from heat damage. 

Probably.

I did (Death Valley in August, not Iraq...). Even then, no oil leaks whatsoever on any of the 3 lenses I had with me. It was harder for me than for the gear. 

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of getting a PeliCase and a sensible amount of Silica Gel. Not sure what I need, half a dozen average sized sachets I guess.

Any thoughts on Peli Cases for this purpose? They're supposed to be Waterproof and Dust Proof, so what can't get in can't get out, sort of relying on Silica Gel to mop up. Where I live temp rarely goes above 25C.