Lens Storage: Temperature

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Argon would be the better choice - it is heavier than air and would cover everything bottom up in any kind of closed container.

But it won't penetrate lens intervals readily displacing air. You need to send them to Leica to get the air replaced. It takes time but it won't matter because lens is not being used anyway.

• Like 1

Not bad. It prevents scratches, but it soaks up water like a sponge.

I am thinking of packing cameras into the neoprene cases and put them in a camera bag. Hopefully those cases would allow that as they still should be light and flexible. I guess, that would create another protective layer from dust and humidity, especially while on the move. Neoprene may soak water in if placed in a bathtub. But still would guard from excessive humudity 

I am thinking of packing cameras into the neoprene cases and put them in a camera bag. Hopefully those cases would allow that as they still should be light and flexible. I guess, that would create another protective layer from dust and humidity, especially while on the move. Neoprene may soak water in if placed in a bathtub. But still would guard from excessive humudity 

No. It won't. Neoprene pouch will keep humidity close to the body/lens. I use them only for travel since they are convenient. I don't use them for storage at home. Camera and lenses go into storage bag with silica pouches.

• Like 1

It won't. It'll attract humidity. I wouldn't call them exactly dust-proof either.

• Like 1

No. It won't. Neoprene pouch will keep humidity close to the body/lens. I use them only for travel since they are convenient. I don't use them for storage at home. Camera and lenses go into storage bag with silica pouches.

Btw, where you get those silica pouches? Any brand/size recommendation?

Btw, where you get those silica pouches? Any brand/size recommendation?

Forgot from where I got mine. Many a times I use the ones I got with other electronics product. I am not in high humid area that's why not much of an issue for me. If you are not in very humid place then don't worry much. If you do then ask the local camera shop and they will have better advice.

My quick google search gave me this. I don't think there is much to distinguish one from the other.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Cotton-Silica-Packet-Pack/dp/B0038N30OY

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Fungus growth on optical instruments is a serious problem in hot, humid tropical regions. I have been keeping my cameras and lenses in electronic dry cabinet for over 20 years. High humidity can lead to fungal growth and secretions from fungus are acidic and can damage the coatings and even the glass. I keep the RH at 45-50%. Prior to this, I was using silica gel. But this needed to be heated to remove the moisture after several months of use. Here is an article on the fungus growth on the surfaces of optical components, 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3864060/

• Like 4

What temperature do you usually store your camera?

My problem is the outside temperature in my country ranges from 29 to 40C. So if my dry cabinet's temperature ranges from 22-29C, my lens will condense when I bring it outside.  

Fungus growth on optical instruments is a serious problem in hot, humid tropical regions. I have been keeping my cameras and lenses in electronic dry cabinet for over 20 years. High humidity can lead to fungal growth and secretions from fungus are acidic and can damage the coatings and even the glass. I keep the RH at 45-50%. Prior to this, I was using silica gel. But this needed to be heated to remove the moisture after several months of use. Here is an article on the fungus growth on the surfaces of optical components, 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3864060/

• Like 1

Fungus growth on optical instruments is a serious problem in hot, humid tropical regions...

My experience, and that of photographer friends, suggests otherwise. 

I've spent years working in hot, humid, tropical places and I've never seen fungal growth on a modern lens from Leica or any other manufacturer, despite never using dry cabinets.

• Like 1

Argon would be the better choice - it is heavier than air and would cover everything bottom up in any kind of closed container.

what if we put it in a empty container and suck the air out using bicycle pump while at the same time sucking air in from some neutral gas that has silica gel bits ... just kidding. I personally never took storage seriously I put them in a padded bag with silica gel and put that in my closet. Yes some lenses are piece and price of art but like Jaap said, use me so much that you need not worry so much. Plus it's a tool. Tools are supposed to be scratched and used.. may be I am too careless. I am sure there are repair companies that would clean this up. I still don't get dry cabinet unless I am in Mombasa ! Like Jaap said, well then at that point the dry cabinet should be in a safe safe no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk