Lens Storage: Temperature

stephengv

If you avoid insane extremes, what does it matter? Anyway, lenses are not made to be stored, they are supposed to be used...

I know it was made to be used. However, sometimes, its normal to store it for a month's time. 

• Like 1

We all know that the lens must be stored in an environment with less than 60% Humidity. My question is with regard to storing temperature, what does Leica recommend? 

Temperature below 70F and humidity below 60% will do very well. Fungus cannot grow under those conditions.

In fact, I keep my darkroom at those levels, or better, as well as the small storage area for lenses and cameras. I also have stand-alone HEPA air filter machines sucking dust out of the air. My machines are Honeywell 17000-S QuietCare Permanent machines. They are very good!

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Like Goldilocks & the three bears; the porridge is too hot, too cold & just right. I don't remember a specific temperature. I've been using Leica lenses for over 40 years, months at sea, at home, and wherever I am on vacation...just choosing a storage space not too hot, not too cold, one that is just right. I guess for me that means somewhere between 40-80 degrees F.

There are other factors at play. Time  (putting a lens down for a month is nothing), light, air movement keeping the lens in a leather container, etc.

I just put them on a shelf in my room when not in use, or in a safe when I am away for a period of time. l haven't seen fungus for over forty years. Moisture rarely goes below 80% over here in a wet climate near the coast and rivers, temperatures are moderate .

I guess if I were living in Mombasa I would be more concerned.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a background I live in the Philippines, where outside temperature varies from 28 to 40C. My lens is in a Dry Cabinet with Humidity control but no temperature control. 

Before I use to place it in my room with AC. When the AC is on, the temperature in the Dry Cabinet reached 21C. However, when I go out and turn off the AC, the temperature reaches up to 31C when I come home. 

• Like 1

Common sense lens storage practice shouldn't be rocket science when you're buying lenses at this price level.

Heat and humidity are the enemy. Avoid either or that's a lot of money wasted.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1

Always wondered what the evidence is for this.

If temperature and humidity are within the acceptable ('safe') range, does proximity to leather really make a difference?

One might assume that leather absorbs quite a bit of water  at moisture peaks in the air and the releases it to the lens over a long period.

Heat and humidity are the enemy. Avoid either or that's a lot of money wasted.

I've lived and worked in hot and humid environments without ever encountering issues, despite not using dry cabinets. Are modern lenses and coatings really susceptible to fungus?
  • Like 1

Are modern lenses and coatings really susceptible to fungus?

Interesting question - would it be possible to identify specifically what it is in lenses that fungus finds attractive (component of the coatings or the surface of the lens itself)?

Could either of these be reformulated to avoid the problem, while maintaining the same optical properties?

Wonder if any of the manufacturers have ever looked at this?  I've never come across anything

It is all in the coating, and that has changed considerably over the years. I would not be surprised if multicoated lenses are less susceptible and nano coating could well be impervious.

Will a higher temperature result to oil in aperture blades?

Possibly.

When I have mine in high temps I make it a habit to not leave them on their side......in other words stored upright sitting on their base to try and prevent it. I've had to have a couple sent in for CLA for just that problem. Oil on the blades. My only concern is that the oil on the blades would gas off and fog the inner glass elements over time.

Possibly.

When I have mine in high temps I make it a habit to not leave them on their side......in other words stored upright sitting on their base to try and prevent it. I've had to have a couple sent in for CLA for just that problem. Oil on the blades. My only concern is that the oil on the blades would gas off and fog the inner glass elements over time.

I had oil on my 50 lux for some time. I am not sure it was due to high temp (it never exceeded 90F/30c) indoors. It is taken care of easily by CLA. I won't worry about it much.

On the other hand, I do worry about moisture. Once I spent just less than a year in Kolkata, India which has high humidity in monsoon season (couple of months). Humidity was super high every day. Everything started attracting fungus. My film negatives and slides almost got destroyed. I noticed the deterioration just in time and sent them away to a drier place.

My lenses were fine though but I would be really careful of humidity. Temperature, not so much.

I also noticed that leather items (jacket, purses) were more susceptible to fungus in humidity. Maybe this is why it may not be advisable to keep lens in leather pouch.

I keep lenses in a fire and water-proof safe with dry (and recyclable) silica gel to absorb humidity inside. I also removed the plastic wrap and pouches around lenses to avoid any kind of local humidity accumulation within such bag for long-term storage in the safe. AC and heater maintain temperature always between 70-74F, humidity less than 55% inside throughout the year. Of course opening the safe and venting the inside a bit also helps (automatically done since I am using my stuff which is kept in there). 

• Like 1

Possibly.

It is very unlikely that lubricant oil used in cameras and lenses would evaporate (it has a low vapor pressure, low volatility). Higher temperature for sure changes the viscosity of the oil - possible that it might flow into other lens areas over a longer period of time at high storage temperature. The oil might also become more greasy by then and clog certain functions.

Edited by Martin B