Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb elgenper:

Bought one for my ´lux 50 Asph (in a weak moment...). Threads are OK; don´t bind like the cheap ones often do.  But the position of those crosspieces seem to be entirely random.  On mine , one of them ends up in the "worst possible" position for obscuring the finder.  Not recommended...

That means the hoods are very expensive but not of the quality you would expect. The cheap ones can then barely be worse. Is that what you say?

20 hours ago, Alex U. said:

That means the hoods are very expensive but not of the quality you would expect. The cheap ones can then barely be worse. Is that what you say?

Not quite sure what to make of it, really.  Possibly, the position of the filter thread entry point varies between copies of the same lens, at least when the lens manufacturer doesn´t provide some kind of square hood that has to stop in the correct angle; why should he then worry about third-part accessories?  But, there should certainly be some means of user adjustment for that price!

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Dee232 said:

Unbelievable how some people will fall for silly marketing ploys just to look "cool."  

It is believable how some people will take a condescending attitude to look cool.

Oh, welcome to the forum, M. Yellow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am 3.12.2018 um 11:24 schrieb elgenper:

Bought one for my Summilux-M 50 Asph [...].  But the position of those crosspieces seem to be entirely random.

Sure. The Summilux-M 50 mm Asph's hood goes into the inner filter threads, as this lens sports a built-in hood, hence no outer hood threads with an explicit stop. So the 3rd-party hood's crosspieces may end up anywhere.

Put a thin rubberband around the hood's threads. That will make it "stop" at a different (hopefully better) position when screwing in.

16 hours ago, Dee232 said:

What's wrong with the hood that came with your lens?   Unbelievable how some people will fall for silly marketing ploys just to look "cool."  

Equally unbelievable that when people don´t understand something, they resort to sarcasm...  A collapsible hood just doesn´t give the mechanical protection of a rigid one when e.g. photographing playful dogs, as I often do.

14 hours ago, 01af said:

Sure. The Summilux-M 50 mm Asph's hood goes into the inner filter threads, as this lens sports a built-in hood, hence no outer hood threads with an explicit stop. So the 3rd-party hood's crosspieces may end up anywhere.

Put a thin rubberband around the hood's threads. That will make it "stop" at a different (hopefully better) position when screwing in.

Good idea (I´ve tried several turns of sewing thread...). Just make sure the entry oft the threaded part is sufficiently deep to stand some abuse.

• Like 2

The JJC hood for the Fujifilm X100 camera includes a thin mylar gasket that fits over the threads of the lens. It serves the same purpose to be able get the hood cutouts to line up with the viewfinder even if the threading varies from camera to camera.  Would be a good thing for others to include with their hoods.

-Thomas

• 10 months later...

I placed an order for a Q shade over 2 months ago, supposedly "in stock" when ordered. After one month I was told it was "in production" and I'd receive it shortly. After two months I asked for either immediate shipment or my money back (twice). No response. Now elevated to PayPal dispute resolution. Anyone else with a similar experience?

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, Aperture 2 said:

Prufrock28, I placed an order last 4 October for an item in stock and to be delivered usually in two weeks...we are now 14 November and no news. I might find myself in the same situation than you....

Dear Prufrock, finally I received my silver shade this week, it is very nice and fits perfectly on my summicron 35mm. It took two months and half after the order to arrive instead of a couple of weeks, but on the other hand as a commercial gesture to compensate for this delay I have received a voucher to download for free one of Overgaad books - very nice gesture ! So personally I'm quite happy.

This week I was for the first time in Denmark, in Overgaad town of Copenhagen and went to visit the little Mermaid - maybe she interceded for me 🙂 (the picture was taken with my iPhone sorry, I did not have my Leica with me...)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, nicci78 said:

perfect photo of Copenhagen. A nice city surrounded by the sea and by those ugly factories. 

This is an incredibly cheap shot. As someone who visits this exquisitely beautiful town at least once a year, characterizing it as "surrounded by... those ugly factories" is grossly unfair. You have to try really hard to encounter the "ugly factories" - and while I appreciate the humor of the image above, anyone who thinks this view is typical of the town will miss one of the world's gems.
Unlike many other capital cities, the town has kept its old charm, together with very low levels of traffic, and beautiful open areas of parkland.
To the north and west the suburbs open up to very beautiful and unspoiled parkland, and the coast northwards is one of the world's most wonderful areas: rich with beaches, museums and open parks.
No big deal. But I don't understand the necessity for a snide comment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, plasticman said:

This is an incredibly cheap shot. As someone who visits this exquisitely beautiful town at least once a year, characterizing it as "surrounded by... those ugly factories" is grossly unfair. You have to try really hard to encounter the "ugly factories" - and while I appreciate the humor of the image above, anyone who thinks this view is typical of the town will miss one of the world's gems.
Unlike many other capital cities, the town has kept its old charm, together with very low levels of traffic, and beautiful open areas of parkland.
To the north and west the suburbs open up to very beautiful and unspoiled parkland, and the coast northwards is one of the world's most wonderful areas: rich with beaches, museums and open parks.
No big deal. But I don't understand the necessity for a snide comment.

I lived there years ago. Studying at CBS. So I know the city. 
I like it anyway. I really like the sea and the canals.

But I hated those factories on the horizon. We get used to them. But they are there. 

I came from the french Alps. With cities surrounded by mountains. So the view is quite different. That’s why I was really shocked by them. 

I also like the summer at CPH. But the winter not so much. 

I am sorry if you get offended. It is just how I see things. And they are visible. No mountain to hide them. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry I did not expect that this snapshot of the mermaid could be polemic, I just found the contrast funny to capture. By the way I work in a heavy industry plant and I almost always think that the factories are beautiful, specially with night illuminations...all tastes are on the planet. In any case let’s keep this tread focused on his original subject as it can be interesting for future clients of Overgaad. Happy Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3