The Overgaard hoods are bullshit. I tried one for my Summilux-M 35 mm Asph; it didn't fit the lens's threads. I returned it and never received my refund. Avoid them. Better get a generic ventilated hood from Hong-Kong.

• Like 10

I have a few. The one I like best is for the 28 Lux. It is far better than the Leica shade. I'm not sure about the ones that screw on the filter threads, but I'm using the one for 49mm on the 75 APO and it can't be worse than it's built in shade. One advantage/disadvantage is that the shade provides an secondary filter size. An example, the 55mm shade for the 90mm APO can also provide for a 60mm filter.

I find the quality good, but the fit could be a little better. The thread placement can be off. Which can be important if the spoke goes into a frame line.

I had an issue with one, and they quickly replaced it.

For the most part, I like them. My only concern is putting a fairly large shade on threads designed for filters. But so far so good.

Edited by Soden
  • Like 2

I have one on my 35 1.4 FLE . Fits well and works. Haven't noticed any optical problems.

I also have one on my 50 Summicron (current). Fits and works well. I just liked the looks over the slide out shade and it adds some protection.

My only gripe is that the included lens caps are difficult to remove and replace. Only a small gripe.

• Like 1

The Overgaard hoods are bullshit. I tried one for my Summilux-M 35 mm Asph; it didn't fit the lens's threads. I returned it and never received my refund. Avoid them. Better get a generic ventilated hood from Hong-Kong.

You can e-mail me at thorsten@overgaard.dk on this. 

Refund is not depending on returning: The 35/1.4 has individual fits (the outside screw for filters is a part of the lens that is placed differently from lens to lens from factory), so when someone gets one that doesn't fit, they get another sent (there has been made four different models of the FLE for this reason. None of the other lenses has that individual fit). In worst case they get a refund; which anyone can get for no necessary reasons stated other than desiring a refund.

The refund is never awaiting the return of the shade before issued. So just mail me and we'll figure that out. 

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone point me to or offer a review of Thorsten Overgaard's ventilated/shades? They look great and the price is similar to authentic Leica parts, but I'm curious to hear what an actual user thinks...

We don't have reviews on the website, but Tie Her Up who is one of the websites that sells them as well, does:

https://tieherup-camera-straps.myshopify.com/collections/types?q=Lens%20shade

Anyone who are not happy with the shades are offered 100% refund. 

• Like 4

I can not confirm that, I also bought the lens shade for the 35 Summilux and it fits perfectly!
  • Like 1

You can e-mail me at thorsten@overgaard.dk on this.

That's what I did. And you replied and promised to send a refund the very next day—but the refund never arrived.

The 35/1.4 has individual fits (the outside screw for filters is a part of the lens that is placed differently from lens to lens from factory), so when someone gets one that doesn't fit, they get another sent (there has been made four different models of the FLE for this reason. None of the other lenses has that individual fit).

I feel it would have been helpful if you communicated this factoid to me earlier.

In worst case they get a refund; which anyone can get for no necessary reasons stated other than desiring a refund.

As a matter of fact, I don't want a refund. I want a ventilated shade that fits my Summilux-M 35 mm Asph! I'd prefer a replacement shade that actually fits over a refund.

I can not confirm that, I also bought the lens shade for the 35 Summilux and it fits perfectly!

Oh, really!? So maybe I should give Thorsten's product another chance. If it helps: My copy of the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph was delivered in July, 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

Today my replacement hood arrived (sent from Hong Kong). Unlike the first copy (which I returned), this one fits the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph's outer threads perfectly. Also, the packaging is more luxurious this time, with a micro-fiber cloth and a nice little pouch included.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I use an Overgaard hood for my 35mm Summicron-M ASPH f/2.0 (11879, 11882). It's a perfect hood!

But what i don't understand is why most have cuts in the hood, but some not. Does it depend on the width or diameter of the lens?

• Like 1

The cuts are some times for decoration, sone times to be able to have as large as possible a hoow coverage by cutting away the parts that would else be visible in the corners of the image. 

The ventilated lens hoods that sits on the filter thread are never with "flower" cutouts because you can't know where the screw stops. On the lenses where it sits on the outside screw of the lens, there is a metal stop so the hood always sits the same way on all lenses. So those are the only ones where it is possible to have a "flower" cutout.

On the 35/2 the one without cutout looks the best, so that was the reason that design was choosen.

:-)

3520-OUS-silver-ventilated-shade-on-35mm

• Like 3

I have the red E60 for my Noct V3. It's a beautiful decoration but the large size of the hood covers the rangefinder window (not just the viewfinder) on the M10 so you can see a line across the focus area in the viewfinder.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, everyone, for all of your information. I placed an order and received my hood promptly. The packaging was lovely, the free lens cloth is large in size and good quality. The hood itself looks to be expertly machined and in my opinion is more aesthetically pleasing than a $6 hood that I ordered from Ebay. The Overgaard hood is more spread out and not as deep as the bargain hood. It is completely free from any text. These concerns may not seem important to the average consumer, but I don't think the average consumer buys a near $10,000 body/lens combo to use as an everyday shooter/workhorse. I highly recommend buying the best quality accessories for your camera and the Overgaard Ventilated hood fits that bill. I will consider buying one for any new lens that comes my way though I don't intend to buy one for my 90mm summicron. It already feels large enough and the built-in hood stays put and doesn't wobble like the built-in hood on my 50mm Summilux.

• Like 3