Question about auto ISO configuration

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the range of shutter speeds available when you select the "minimum shutter speed" when setting up auto ISO? Can you go faster than 1/125 sec? Many camera makers limit to this speed for some reason.

This information is not available in the manual!

Thanks in advance

Edited by mike3996

If I understand your question, the camera will automatically select it as 1/125 or faster depending on the available light. This assumes you selected 1/125 as your minimum. If you selected auto shutter, it will lower the shutter until it gets to 1/125. There's some kind of formula for raising ISO. It is not linear. it will not drop the shutter all the way to 1/125 before raising the ISO. It starts raising the ISO before reaching the minimum shutter speed. The maximum shutter speed is 1/16000. You can manually select shutter up to 1/16000. I think I got this correct. If not, hopefully someone else will add to my explanation.

In the "Auto ISO Settings", the highest 'minimum shutter speed' you can set is 1/2000.  That is, the camera will first push ISO to your max ISO setting (from 400 up to 50000) to achieve 1/2000 shutter speed before adjusting the shutter speed below that 1/2000 setting.

For ranges:

Max exposure time:  "Auto" and 1 through 1/2000

Max ISO setting:       400 through 50000

Edited by kismetsky

In the "Auto ISO Settings", the highest 'minimum shutter speed' you can set is 1/2000. That is, the camera will first push ISO to your max ISO setting (from 400 up to 50000) to achieve 1/2000 shutter speed before adjusting the shutter speed below that 1/2000 setting.

For ranges:

Max exposure time: "Auto" and 1 through 1/2000

Max ISO setting: 400 through 50000

For shutter speed, 2000- is on the dial, but you can push the shutter speed to 1/16000 by turning the thumb wheel adjustment.

The limit of the ISO setting for maximum shutter speed is 1/2000. I read that as the longest shutter opening will be 1/2000 of a second. I just tried to photograph directly into the sun on Auto ISO and Auto shutter speed. Aperture at f/1.7. The camera set the shutter speed to 1/16000. If I do full auto, it raises the aperture to f/8 and drops the shutter to 1/1000. ISO automatically goes to 100.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The problem that I have with the Auto ISO with the Q is very different from the M10 (M240 as well) and Dlux 7. 

With the aperture set manually, max ISO 6400, max shutter speed 1/250, what happens with the other cameras is once both limits are reached, the shutter speed would drop until the exposure is correct may it be as low as 1/8. 

However, now the Q just stops dead at the limited shutter speed and as a result the image is under exposed. 

I find this a problem as now I would have to manually adjust the shutter speed each time. 

Not quite sure why they would change the way the auto iso's behaviour from camera to camera. Have written to Leica and they said that they would inform the techs. 

Anyone have multiple Leica cameras who might have noticed this anomaly? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Nuggie said:

However, now the Q just stops dead at the limited shutter speed and as a result the image is under exposed

I find this a problem as now I would have to manually adjust the shutter speed each time.  

My Q doesn't behave like this. You sure you're not dialing shutter speed manually?

Edit: weird, I took a double take and Q indeed does this.

Edited by mike3996

hi Mike....

Yep for sure I"m not doing anything manually.  I am noticing this specifically becos the M10 and Dlux7 does not behave in this manner which is why it is bugging me.

Does your Q allow the shutter speed to drop automatically once both ISO and Shutter speed limits are reached?

3 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

Does your Q allow the shutter speed to drop automatically once both ISO and Shutter speed limits are reached?

Yes, sure enough I get the same effect as you. I've been shooting an M for the last couple of months so my memories about the auto ISO got fuzzy.

You mean your Q doesn't allow your shutter speed to drop through the limit?  Sorry but I didn't ask you which Q you are shooting with? 

When you shoot with your M, it does in fact allow the shutter speed to drop through the limit,  doesn't it? 

Just need to be sure that I'm not talking a bunch of rot here.  😮

Talking about the first Q, type 116. Right on the day one I set it up to auto-ISO, min shutter speed of 1/250 and max ISO of 6400 (later 12800) and never touched it much. In low light or indoors I switch to manual mode (with auto ISO) so perhaps I just don't encounter any limitations of the behavior myself.

As I checked the behavior, it does like you say -- never chooses slower speeds but instead choosed to underexpose the scene.

And M-P 240 that I shoot now in addition goes below the limit if the limits of ISO sensitivity is reached.

Sigh... I also just got confirmation from Leica Singapore thank this is the case with both Q's and the SL. And all the M's and Dlux's go below the set shutter speed. So we're not really sure which is which but I totally prefer the way the M's do it. It's more seamless I guess? 

Thanks so much for taking the effort to try it out with ur cameras. It's very much appreciated Mike. 👍🏻🙏🏻☺️