Best All Purpose Color Filter for Black and White Photography on an M6

jmui852

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the 1950s I've found that the yellow K2 filter on a variety of B&W films is the most useful to me, both as a lens protector and as a filter. I've also used orange, red, blue, & green ones. As far as skin tones, I've found the green very useful on caucasian skin, the yellow K2 is ok as well.

I think it depends on whether you want to lighten or darken an object....I'm sure Asian (Oriental) skin has many variations, just like other skins. So, back to basics, what are the underlying colors and film spectral sensitivity? Better yet, put together a package of 2-4 filters to accommodate most situations you might encounter and try them out yourself...you might be surprised. Another way to test this out is to take a shot in color and experiment with software B&W filters on the shot (I often use GIMP which has these built in, but you can do the same with PS, etc). Personally, I think you are overthinking the issue.