Looking for a 90mm LTM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 50mm Elmar red scale, and a 35mm Nikkor. I chose these lenses for their sharp, fairly contrasty renderings. Now I need a 90mm to round out the trifecta, preferably with rending closer to that of the 50mm Elmar, rather than a Summar!

Online research shows a lot of conflicting information. For those who use their Barnacks regularly, what 90mm do you use and what do you like about it?

A good and CLEAN Elmar 90 isn't difficult nor costly to find : is the ideal companion for the Elmar 50.

I've noticed that, the 90mm Elmar seems to be far cheaper than most other Leica lenses, that alone put me off buying one today, I decided to ask here first to see if there is a reason they are so cheap, and to find out if there are better options out there.

The Elmar 90 has been around for a long time, so there are a lot on the market.  Also it is a "slow" lens at f4; a lot of photographers like fast lenses these days.

I think that is why they are cheaper.

The lens head screws off and can be used on bellows and great for macro.

It's worthwhile particularly at its price.

cheers...

I have a 50mm Elmar red scale, and a 35mm Nikkor. I chose these lenses for their sharp, fairly contrasty renderings. Now I need a 90mm to round out the trifecta, preferably with rending closer to that of the 50mm Elmar, rather than a Summar!

Online research shows a lot of conflicting information. For those who use their Barnacks regularly, what 90mm do you use and what do you like about it?

Why the sideswipe at the Summar? In my view it is one of the most interesting lenses ever produced by Leica and certainly one of my favourites. I should know as I have about 10 of them. The 7.3cm  f1.9 Hektor produces a very similar look to the Summar and it definitely produces a more interesting look than the 9cm Elmar. The early Fat Elmars produce a more 'normalised' look and the Thin Elmars are even more 'normalised'. Don't be put off by the low price of the 9cm Elmars. They definitely produce good image quality. I think that Jaap is correct in saying that they were not used that much and are thus usually in better condition than 5cm Elmars of the same age.

William

• Like 2

Why the sideswipe at the Summar? In my view it is one of the most interesting lenses ever produced by Leica and certainly one of my favourites. I should know as I have about 10 of them. The 7.3cm  f1.9 Hektor produces a very similar look to the Summar and it definitely produces a more interesting look than the 9cm Elmar. The early Fat Elmars produce a more 'normalised' look and the Thin Elmars are even more 'normalised'. Don't be put off by the low price of the 9cm Elmars. They definitely produce good image quality. I think that Jaap is correct in saying that they were not used that much and are thus usually in better condition than 5cm Elmars of the same age.

William

It wasn't really intended as a swipe at the Summar, I have one and enjoy using it but the dreamy glow it gives isn't a look I want for travel, which is what this set is for.

This is the look I am after, 50mm Elmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The consensus on the Elmar 9 is also due to the fact that there aren't many serious alternatives to choose between... Hektor 7,3 isn't 90... VF is problematic... and is by definition VERY old (my one is 129.006 B) ), Thambar is a (fascinating) oddity, Summarex is costly/heavy, and Summicron ditto, about  ... the real alternative is the Elmarit 2,8... but is quite rare in SM, rather costly for this reason, and in my opinion hasn't any advantage over a good Elmar (apart 1 stop, of course). Even the 3rd party alternatives aren't so many (do you trust to buy  the Russian 85  1,5? :)) . Cosina Voigtlander HAD in its list a 90  that maybe has been the best 90 available in screw mount, but is no more listed and I have the feel that not many are around for sale : however, it could be the real alternative to the perennial Elmar.

And about Elmar...  : the version to look for is imho the last made with A36 front (wide front rim, international f/stops - see hereunder) : compatible with Elmar 50 filters,  robust coating, very compact, good value for money (which is the problem of the 3 Elements version... too rare in SM) : no dedicated hood... but you can share it with Elmar 50 (is a "FIKUS only" 90)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

The consensus on the Elmar 9 is also due to the fact that there aren't many serious alternatives to choose between... Hektor 7,3 isn't 90... VF is problematic... and is by definition VERY old (my one is 129.006 B) ), Thambar is a (fascinating) oddity, Summarex is costly/heavy, and Summicron ditto, about  ... the real alternative is the Elmarit 2,8... but is quite rare in SM, rather costly for this reason, and in my opinion hasn't any advantage over a good Elmar (apart 1 stop, of course). Even the 3rd party alternatives aren't so many (do you trust to buy  the Russian 85  1,5? :)) . Cosina Voigtlander HAD in its list a 90  that maybe has been the best 90 available in screw mount, but is no more listed and I have the feel that not many are around for sale : however, it could be the real alternative to the perennial Elmar.

And about Elmar...  : the version to look for is imho the last made with A36 front (wide front rim, international f/stops - see hereunder) : compatible with Elmar 50 filters,  robust coating, very compact, good value for money (which is the problem of the 3 Elements version... too rare in SM) : no dedicated hood... but you can share it with Elmar 50 (is a "FIKUS only" 90)

attachicon.gifElmars90x7_r_b.jpg

Thank you, very helpful!

• Like 1

I really like the 9cm f4 Elmar. Compact and very light it's a great lens with a typical vintage 'Elmar' look.

You need to find a nice one. It's a cheap lens anyway so buy the best one you can find, ideally a later coated example.

Mine is an M mount version which I use on the M2 - I did use one on my lllf before but often had issues with framing due to lack parralax correction. Get the appropriate Leica turret finder and that won't be an issue.

• Like 1

I have quite a few of the 9cm elmars often acquired along with a leica screw mount camera/lens. I have uncoated and postwar chrome coated versions. I actually prefer the early uncoated ones for the special look they produce.

I might add that the summar is my absolute favorite 5cm lens and I have a huge number of 5cms.

• Like 1

I originally wanted an LTM 90/f2 Summicron with the correct and original HMOOD lens hood. They are not that common. Between series one and (IMHO) the nicer looking and better optically series 2, about 5500 lenses made. The HMOOD's seem to have been lost or damaged over the years and are even rarer than the lenses. I gave up, as I was offered an 85mm/f1.5 Summarex in nice condition, with original ORQPO hood, for about 70% of what an equivalent Summicron would cost. I received very polarised opinions from "terminally soft wide open" to "astonishingly good and a wonderful portrait lens with bags of contrast." I am delighted to be able to report that the second group were correct. However, small and light it is not. It actually is more comfortable to use on an M body than a Barnack and probably only the IIIg has close to good enough RF to use the lens to its best. Again an M is better. I would happily recommend this lens to any LTM enthusiast, as being a very worthwhile addition to the bag. I have posted on another thread pictures of the lens on my IIIg but to save hunting here it is again and a link to an image taken with the Summarex fully open post-3157-0-92757000-1497283524.jpg

Wilson

• Like 3

This was from my first test roll with the Elmar 90/4. I tried some high contrast situations to see how it handled them, and although a little on the lower contrast side, in post processing, they all came out just fine. I also tried it in color on my M4/3 and was quite satisfied, even a little surprised, at its excellent performance. A quite underrated lens IMHO.

• Like 1

90mm f4 Elmar Nr.1038484 on an M8:

• Like 1