Exposure Compensation question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am running the current firmware on my Q, and would like to set it up to do both of the following:

1.  I'd like the thumbwheel to perform exposure compensation (it's ok if I have to touch the fn button first)

AND

2.  When I want to use shutter speeds higher than 1/2000, have the thumbwheel control the shutter speeds when I set the SS to 2000-.

I can't seem to find the right combo of thumbwheel and fn button settings to allow this.  I'm not sure if this can be done, but any help would be appreciated.

I think it's straightforward as long as you're in shutter priority mode. I set mine to shutter at 1/2000 then auto aperture and auto ISO. turning the thumb dial changes the shutter speed. Touching the fn button changes to exposure compensation and I can adjust that with the thumb dial.

I just checked and it operates exactjy the same if in full manual mode with aperture and ISO set to specific values.

You must be in PASM mode in the scene menu.

Fn button in Live View menu set to exposure

I have thumbwheel set to auto.

Am I missing something in your question?

Edited by Infiniumguy

I think it's straightforward as long as you're in shutter priority mode. I set mine to shutter at 1/2000 then auto aperture and auto ISO. turning the thumb dial changes the shutter speed. Touching the fn button changes to exposure compensation and I can adjust that with the thumb dial.

I just checked and it operates exactjy the same if in full manual mode with aperture and ISO set to specific values.

You must be in PASM mode in the scene menu.

Fn button in Live View menu set to exposure

I have thumbwheel set to auto.

Am I missing something in your question?

^ That's exactly right - when I do use the Q in auto (I set my ISO manually) it's aperture priority, and the thumb wheel does exposure compensation. In that same set up, if you set the shutter speed to 2000- the thumb wheel becomes the shutter speed dial.

Edited by beez