Frame selector?

vladik

Tough having used film M Leicas for 25 years around, I have suffered very little the absence of frame selector on M240 (it took longer , in comparision, to get accustomed that "full framed VF" is 28 and not the 35 of M4... once that one has this well in mind, is rather easy to guess which focal fits for your pic):however, no bad they have re-introduced it on M10 : sorry for them, but for me not a sufficient reason to switch... B)  

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Always used the frame selector to figure out the FoV of different lenses with my M3, M4, M4-2, M6J and M8.2. Was a mistake to waive it on the M240 as it is of the superiorities of rangefinders over TTL cameras IMHO. Kudos to Leica for having re-introduced it. Would be one of my few reasons to be tempted by the M10 if any.

Frame selector is useful when one use more than one lens to previsualise the framing before swaping lenses.

When it's not there, I miss it.

When it's there, I use it naturally.

:(

Even when I use MATE (28-35-50), oddly enough, when the selector is not there, my left finger "search" for it before simply changing focal length on the MATE.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Frame selector reappears on M10. How useful is it really? Or is it again to preserve ‘tradition’ and that M look? How many of you are really really using it? 

The different frame lines are very usefull inside a picture in getting well controlled vertical lines of buildings or horizontally lines at the sea.
Sometimes they have to replace a missing complete grid inside the viewfinder.

Especially useful for novices or anyone new to the M system who's learning the feel for different focal lengths. I mostly love it for the look, feel and tradition.

Great to see it back as standard on the digital M. I hope it stays.

Especially useful for novices or anyone new to the M system who's learning the feel for different focal lengths.

*nodding* Yep, I resemble that remark! I am new to RF and was delighted to see them. Like mnutzer said before they aid my leveling but also I love that a quick look let's me know how much of what I'm seeing can be captured by my 28.

I use it frequently, but am irritated that the frames still come up in pairs when a lens is in place.

The old 'coding' was mechanical on the lens mount, and I would have thought that with 6-bit-coding the camera has the information to put up only the frame line required?

• Like 1

I use it frequently, but am irritated that the frames still come up in pairs when a lens is in place.

The old 'coding' was mechanical on the lens mount, and I would have thought that with 6-bit-coding the camera has the information to put up only the frame line required?

Doesn't work that way. The frame lines are cut out of a metal mask that light shines through. The six bit code had nothing whatsoever to do with frame line mask selection. That is done mechanically with the lens mount.

• Like 3

Today I used my LTM (original) 2.8 cm f5.6cm Summaron lens on my M10. I did not have a 28-90 adaptor and used a 28-50 (yes they do exist) adaptor instead. It did not bring up the 28mm frame-lines but rather the 50-75 combination. I found that by pushing on the lever with my finger I could get the 28mm frame-lines I needed. It worked very well and was not a bit awkward, aided by the smaller size of the camera. On the M240 I would just have used the whole of the window to frame. As Luigi says, this is not a reason of itself to get an M10. I really am enjoying the smaller size of the M10.

William

Edited by willeica

As jd noted, here's how it looks and works....still like the M8...

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/66999-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8-framelines/

The difference starting with the M240 is that the lines are illuminated by internal LED instead of the outside window.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Mine just happened to fall off. Not really missed. As I found the lever but not the stew anymore, it looks a bit odd now. Replacement screw needed to be ordered in Wetzlar.

Even if not used, wise to fix for best weather sealing.

Jeff

• Like 1