Summilux 28 vs Summicron 28

BJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Always had fixation for f1.4 lenses :-)

Never bonded with my Summicron V1, ...

I just bought a used (V1) copy in almost mint condition. I had a choice between elmarit (asph) and summicron (V1). The difference in price was £300 so settled for a Summicron.

Now the main point, is V1 noticeably inferior to V2?

Quick pic taken on M9 and Summicron 28mm V1

Sorry I coudnt work out how to add pic to above post.

Bashir LunatL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

don't forget the unique Wetzlar Air inside the lens giving that special atmosphere to the pictures

Like I said in a not so distant past, there is a part of HCB's soul trapped inside each and every Leica lenses. I believe it's always in between the two first elements.

• Like 1

Like I said in a not so distant past, there is a part of HCB's soul trapped inside each and every Leica lenses. I believe it's always in between the two first elements.

Even if they are cemented?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't used 28 lux and I can only tell you about cron. I do like the subject separation at f2 for close up shots (across the table portraits). In fact I like it even more than 35FLE wide open (I own it too) for similar shots. Somehow the 28 at f2 out of focus blur is "just right" for me. The background is still identifiable (there is something like "too much blur").

I am sure 28 lux wide open will create more separation but whether it will be "just right" or not is something you need to judge for yourself.

Having said that, now my most 28cron usage is at f5.6 and I am seriously thinking about getting elmarit. Why keep the cron if I don't use it at f2! You see, it all depends on how you shoot. Nobody can tell you to shoot at f1.4 or f2.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't used 28 lux and I can only tell you about cron. I do like the subject separation at f2 for close up shots (across the table portraits). In fact I like it even more than 35FLE wide open (I own it too) for similar shots. Somehow the 28 at f2 out of focus blur is "just right" for me. The background is still identifiable (there is something like "too much blur").

I am sure 28 lux wide open will create more separation but whether it will be "just right" or not is something you need to judge for yourself.

Having said that, now my most 28cron usage is at f5.6 and I am seriously thinking about getting elmarit. Why keep the cron if I don't use it at f2! You see, it all depends on how you shoot. Nobody can tell you to shoot at f1.4 or f2.

Hi,Jayant, Is your Summicrom first model or second? I just bought first one and after reading some posts on new Summicrom(28mm),it seems that new is better. Is the old one noticeably inferior to new?

Thanks. Bashir Lunat 

• Like 1

If that is what you like you should give the Summilux 24 wide open a try ;) That reminds me, I have been neglecting it a bit lately...

• Like 1

Hi,Jayant, Is your Summicrom first model or second? I just bought first one and after reading some posts on new Summicrom(28mm),it seems that new is better. Is the old one noticeably inferior to new?

Thanks. Bashir Lunat 

Mine is first and I have nothing to complain. I used it on M9 and now on M240.

Jono has done a comparison and found that newer one is better if you plan to use it on SL or Sony. On M240 the "improvement is not so obvious" (his words).

http://www.slack.co.uk/leica-m-resolution.html

edit: I should add that I love my 28 cron. This is my most used lens. It acts like P&S at 5.6 due to huge DOF and can also shoot environmental portraits at f2. It is so sharp that I regularly crop it out to 50mm FOV and still get decent A4 print.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 4

Since you plan to use the 28 at 5.6, I would suggest that you determine if the lux, cron, elmarit and summaron render differently at that f-stop. If so, which do you prefer?

Long time ago I compared cron and elmarit and the only difference was contrast (elmarit was more). There is not much rendering at 5.6 to compare. Most of scene is tack sharp.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses, really appreciate the help! I read all the articles (the linked ones in this thread and ReidReviews).

Struggle with CA is mostly related to super fast wide lenses, for instance SL24 and SL28. According to most of the articles, it can be corrected easily using Lightroom. After stopping down to F2.8, CA will be nearly gone. The subject separation is indeed a bit more dramatic comparing SL28 and SC28. So the only remaining question is, will I go for the SL28 and take the disadvantages (e.g. weight, viewfinder blockage, etc.) but gaining the ability to shoot super fast wide open and create a more dramatic effect / stronger subject separation. I decided to buy the SL28.

Really? Even if it's "huge"?

Hey! He knows the pros and cons, he contemplated them, and he took a well-informed and well-considered decision.

So did I, and I went for the (new) Summicron. My decision is better for me, and his decision is better for him.

If that is what you like you should give the Summilux 24 wide open a try ;) That reminds me, I have been neglecting it a bit lately...

Maybe comparing the 2nd hand prices of the 24mm Summilux to the new 28mm lenses ;) ?

The 28 Summilux is my most used lens. Wide open I think it has the most beautiful rendering of all lenses that I have used.

The difference in size and weight (compared to the 28mm Summicron) do not matter to me. The handling to me is the same.

The only two lenses (in the current lineup) that do make a real difference in that regard are the Noctilux (too heavy for an M imo) and the 28mm Summaron (without the hood).

• Like 2