Summilux 28 vs Summicron 28

BJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

I am currently photographing with a Leica M10 // Summilux 50 and I'm planning to acquire one wider lens, a 28mm, to complete my travel set.

My uncle let me photograph with his Summilux 28 for one day. It is a tremendous lens, and I really liked the subject separation while photographing wide-open. I know about the different filter sizes and read a few posts about the optical quality, micro contrasts and some CA issues concerning the Summilux 28. Of course, the viewfinder is blocked, there exists a weight and price difference.

During my short research, I did not found a reliable comparison of the subject separation and rendering, wide-open, regarding both lenses. I mean, is it really a thing? Talking about low-light, I guess I won't need 1.4.

Cheers,

Ben.

Wide 28mm is definitely tremendous focal length for either RF or any other full frame system, Leica Q is testament to that. With respect to all pros and cons for one over the other talking as former owner of Summicron V1 and current owner of Summilux I say it doesn't matter. Just choose one of the variants, reminder there are four current M 28mm's, for your own reasons you come up on the day you decide, afterwards when taking brake from shooting put the spin to justify your decision if putting such spin still matters to you.

• Like 1

28 Elmarit is just sharp, nothing more... 28 Summicron is maybe perfect but it has nothing special, the 28 Summilux on the other hand makes a picture a "picture". Hard to say, but compared to 35 Summilux FLE you can really use the 1.4. 

• Like 1

Hey,

I am currently photographing with a Leica M10 // Summilux 50 and I'm planning to acquire one wider lens, a 28mm, to complete my travel set.

My uncle let me photograph with his Summilux 28 for one day. It is a tremendous lens, and I really liked the subject separation while photographing wide-open. I know about the different filter sizes and read a few posts about the optical quality, micro contrasts and some CA issues concerning the Summilux 28. Of course, the viewfinder is blocked, there exists a weight and price difference.

During my short research, I did not found a reliable comparison of the subject separation and rendering, wide-open, regarding both lenses. I mean, is it really a thing? Talking about low-light, I guess I won't need 1.4.

Cheers,

Ben.

i think you've got all the facts you need on the 28/1.4.  Perhaps its time to play with 28/2 v2 and decide

decide for 28 2.0? why?

im not suggesting that he choose the 28/2, i am suggesting that by trying both lenses for himself he will be in a better position to tell which lens is better for him.

• Thanks 1

what moved you to Summilux?

Always had fixation for f1.4 lenses :-)

Never bonded with my Summicron V1, sold it when Summilux was just distant rumour and bought it as soon as standard version was launched. There also used to be extra expensive set in stainless steel that included 2 M cameras and 3 M lenses and included Summilux 28mm, launched about a year before plain version, so signal was sent to be patient. For me Summilux 28 and Summicron APO 50 are my standard lens set with M246. Due to size and RF blockage I usually frame with Leica external 21mm finder, M8 framelines correspond to 28mm. Recently use it more and more on SL601, it really shines on EVF camera where precise focus is possible.

• Like 2

I'll let you in a little secret: The Summilux-M 28 mm Asph does have an aperture ring (so does your Summilux-M 50 mm Asph). And it actually works! And lightning won't strike you when you use it.

So why don't you simply take the same picture twice, at f/1.4 and at f/2, and see the difference with your own eyes?

Anyway—if you don't mind the size, the weight, and the cost then go for it; it sure is a marvellous lens. Yet, I preferred the new Summicron.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wide lenses with a fast aperture shot wide-open have, to me, a special quality that I appreciate but cannot explain. Summilux all the way here!

I think that I can explain. The combination of a wide-angle type perspective and a longer lens type narrow DOF is unusual.  We are so trained in associating a wide-angle photograph with deep DOF that we notice the difference on a non-rational level.

• Like 3

I think that I can explain. The combination of a wide-angle type perspective and a longer lens type narrow DOF is unusual.  We are so trained in associating a wide-angle photograph with deep DOF that we notice the difference on a non-rational level.

with the proper use of 1.4 on a Summilux 28mm the images look very natural and the bokeh is not that obtrusive as with a 35 Summilux. 

• Like 1

I far prefer the Summicron's macro Chromatic Gamut rendition, and especially its Gentle, almost carressing tones, probably due to its very specific spectral uv response in the very low pitches thanks to the rare earth and highly refractive glass used exclusively for the summicron line, which explains the size-performance ratio, which is not taken into account for the Summilux line.

By the way, when you say "I know about the different filter sizes and read a few posts about the optical quality, micro contrasts and some CA issues concerning the Summilux 28.", can you tell us more about the Micro Contrast?

• Like 1

I far prefer the Summicron's macro Chromatic Gamut rendition, and especially its Gentle, almost carressing tones, probably due to its very specific spectral uv response in the very low pitches thanks to the rare earth and highly refractive glass used exclusively for the summicron line, which explains the size-performance ratio, which is not taken into account for the Summilux line.

By the way, when you say "I know about the different filter sizes and read a few posts about the optical quality, micro contrasts and some CA issues concerning the Summilux 28.", can you tell us more about the Micro Contrast?

NB23's responses are quite predictable in his cynicism. I find it refreshing from time to time.  But little variance or creativity once the pattern has been set.  We could probably easily program a chat bot to replace his standard fare.   Substitute nouns and adjectives for synonyms that haven't been or less frequently used to describe the domain - Leica.  Or 'Leicana' as the bot would embellish.  But keep it close enough to recognisable, in order to confuse new joiners who might fall into his trap and think he's being serious.  Should we start a bot project?

NB23 -- you've made your impact. Thank you for that -- I think we've gotten the point.    Any chance you could change it up a bit to make it more refreshing/entertaining?

NB23's responses are quite predictable in his cynicism. I find it refreshing from time to time. But little variance or creativity once the pattern has been set. We could probably easily program a chat bot to replace his standard fare. Substitute nouns and adjectives for synonyms that haven't been or less frequently used to describe the domain - Leica. Or 'Leicana' as the bot would embellish. But keep it close enough to recognisable, in order to confuse new joiners who might fall into his trap and think he's being serious. Should we start a bot project?

NB23 -- you've made your impact. Thank you for that -- I think we've gotten the point. Any chance you could change it up a bit to make it more refreshing/entertaining?

I mentioned Rare earth, didn't I?

• Like 1