Olympus VF3 EVF or Olympus VF4 EVF on the M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

so I assume one can never turn off the main monitor off and just keep the evf on while the evf is on shoe. A setting where main monitor / LCD be used for previews and settings and evf for photos. Or main monitor is completely off ? Hope I am making sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you switch the EVF on by the button on the back the LV will switch off automatically.

Switch EVF off and LV on by the Live View button.

I find it slightly irritating that I have to press LV  coming from the EVF when reviewing images on the LCD, but I can understand the rationale.

• Like 1

so I assume one can never turn off the main monitor off and just keep the evf on while the evf is on shoe. A setting where main monitor / LCD be used for previews and settings and evf for photos. Or main monitor is completely off ? Hope I am making sense

For me LV is always off (in menu) therefore no live image on LCD. LCD monitor is completely off except for menu. Note that it is different implementation compared to Sony where even menu goes to EVF. M240 will always show menu on LCD itresective of EVF use. This is the way I normally use M240 without danger of accidentally pressing LV button and camera draining battery in the bag (I rarely switch off my camera).

When I need EVF then simply plug it in and press button on EVF to turn it on. Now live image and playback both are in EVF. The button is sticky. Means even if camera goes off or sleeps the EVF comes on when camera wakes up or switches on. It is toggle too. If you keep EVF off then it remains off without affecting anything else. I find it super convenient and no drain on battery at all (uses battery only when you are using it).

Apart from the image quality and lag in using EVF, it is very useful accessory to expand M240's operating envelope.

Just for completeness, I should add that I have another user preference to turn LV on for rear LCD which I use on tripod. While in tripod I find it easier to see the live image on LCD (and not in EVF). Once I am done tripod shooting, I switch to regular user preference where LV is off. Back to my shooting mode described in the beginning.

Did I confuse you more. :) it is better to play with the user preferences and menu settings to see what I mean.

Edited by jmahto

I replaced M240 with SL601 primarily to utilise long M and R lenses, kept M246.

My experience with EVF is not good but i found framing all M cameras with Leica latest external optical VF 21mm very good, even works well framing 28mm lens using crop lines inside the viewfinder.  

Jayant explained it much better than I did :)

And yes, it is intuitive and well thought out.

Thanks. I normally don't use EVF but when I do, I love it. :)

Me using EVF with tele lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Jayant explained it much better than I did :)

And yes, it is intuitive and well thought out.

I guess the only non-intuitive part is that EVF can be used even if LV mode is off in the menu (that's the way I use it and like it). I don't think it is documented anywhere.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me LV is always off (in menu) therefore no live image on LCD. LCD monitor is completely off except for menu. Note that it is different implementation compared to Sony where even menu goes to EVF. M240 will always show menu on LCD itresective of EVF use. This is the way I normally use M240 without danger of accidentally pressing LV button and camera draining battery in the bag (I rarely switch off my camera).

When I need EVF then simply plug it in and press button on EVF to turn it on. Now live image and playback both are in EVF. The button is sticky. Means even if camera goes off or sleeps the EVF comes on when camera wakes up or switches on. It is toggle too. If you keep EVF off then it remains off without affecting anything else. I find it super convenient and no drain on battery at all (uses battery only when you are using it).

Apart from the image quality and lag in using EVF, it is very useful accessory to expand M240's operating envelope.

Just for completeness, I should add that I have another user preference to turn LV on for rear LCD which I use on tripod. While in tripod I find it easier to see the live image on LCD (and not in EVF). Once I am done tripod shooting, I switch to regular user preference where LV is off. Back to my shooting mode described in the beginning.

Did I confuse you more. :) it is better to play with the user preferences and menu settings to see what I mean.

you explained it very well especially because I was relating it to my past (Sony) seems you have used it. This explanation was relieving actually kudos to Jaap and others for pitching in. Now I fully understand how it works. I might copy your work flow :)

• Like 1

hey what lens is that :) I did not know evf tilted .. this is rad !

That's Konica 135 f/3.2 Hexanon (with 2x extender). I normally use it without extender where it performs exceptionally well (and light enough at 1lb). The best thing I like is i) the focus throw at infinity is perfect. I have never missed infinity shots wide open even in a hurry. ii) It focuses close with beautiful bokeh. See below. :)

And yes, I love the tilt option. So comfortable to use. :)

On Sony Nex-6

https://flic.kr/p/NgQcpV

On M240 (see why I love EVF on M240. I can shoot this kind of picture and not need a DSLR).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 4

That's Konica 135 f/3.2 Hexanon (with 2x extender). I normally use it without extender where it performs exceptionally well (and light enough at 1lb). The best thing I like is i) the focus throw at infinity is perfect. I have never missed infinity shots wide open even in a hurry. ii) It focuses close with beautiful bokeh. See below. :)

And yes, I love the tilt option. So comfortable to use. :)

On Sony Nex-6

https://flic.kr/p/NgQcpV

On M240 (see why I love EVF on M240. I can shoot this kind of picture and not need a DSLR).

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20170129Altamont_pass_windmills-1006607.jpg

wow!! I don't regret my decision of dumping all my gear for two Leica bodies. I am so thankful I did that. I find Sony and other manufacturers pushing their products so much through photographers that it lures people like me to buy it only to find out it's a piece of ......

wow!! I don't regret my decision of dumping all my gear for two Leica bodies. I am so thankful I did that. I find Sony and other manufacturers pushing their products so much through photographers that it lures people like me to buy it only to find out it's a piece of ......

To be fair, I use non Leica cameras as well. Sony Nex-6 is my backup body which I use only with Leica lenses. I avoid Sony haptics issues by not using all the bells and whistles. I ignore everything and shoot like Leica M. Additionally I believe that familiarity with your camera bodies is more important than using a particular brand. You know how to avoid all the gotchas. Leica M has least of these but it also has it's fair share. For example, I have learned not to leave the switch to timer after doing timer shots. I have learned not to use the lens cap during outing since it is not possible to notice lens cap while looking through VF. etc. etc.

Leica M240 is best for my usage but other cameras also have their own pluses. My 2 cents. :)

Still, there is no camera in the world that is perfectly adapted for all uses. I have been happily using Leica M cameras for wildlife photography, with the superb lenses and Rube Goldberg adaptations there was very little wrong with it. But - in the film days I moved over to Leica R for that particular use, and after quite satisfactory Leica M/EVF long lens experiences I must admit to having replaced the system by Panasonic with "Leica" lenses. Very happy for that particular use, but my daily camera is still mostly the M, unless I need fast AF or a convenience camera.

Horses for courses, You'll quickly accumulate some additional gear ;)

I have learned not to use the lens cap during outing since it is not possible to notice lens cap while looking through VF. etc. etc.

I find it hard to miss the flashing LEDs in the viewfinder when I leave the lens cap on... :p

I find it hard to miss the flashing LEDs in the viewfinder when I leave the lens cap on... :p

I use the VF as God intended... to View and Find the scene. The attention seeking flashing lights, arrows, numbers and bouncing pandas are ruthlessly ignored. Call me "El Purist". :D

So do I, but I find them hard to ignore when they are flashing. ;)

I was half kidding. But I do tend to ignore stuff and it is not me alone. Tiny computer displays are not very effective in conveying information. Humans are just not trained enough and it is not very instinctive. This is why many like M10's direct ISO visibility vs on rear LCD.

• Like 1

Still, there is no camera in the world that is perfectly adapted for all uses. I have been happily using Leica M cameras for wildlife photography, with the superb lenses and Rube Goldberg adaptations there was very little wrong with it. But - in the film days I moved over to Leica R for that particular use, and after quite satisfactory Leica M/EVF long lens experiences I must admit to having replaced the system by Panasonic with "Leica" lenses. Very happy for that particular use, but my daily camera is still mostly the M, unless I need fast AF or a convenience camera.

Horses for courses, You'll quickly accumulate some additional gear ;)

I agree. I have a feeling I might end up accumulating a lot of gear. It's just one thing every month. lol except I am not so used to this kinda sticker shock. My wife still thinks I saved money by selling Sony for some stupid camera with eyepiece lol

• Like 1

I agree. I have a feeling I might end up accumulating a lot of gear. It's just one thing every month. lol except I am not so used to this kinda sticker shock. My wife still thinks I saved money by selling Sony for some stupid camera with eyepiece lol

Leica designers keep the design similar between M variants to help us buy multiple bodies without our wives getting suspicious (or husbands getting suspicious in case of female owners). They think we have only one body. If a new packet arrives then you can say that your old camera came back from repair. :D

• Like 2