M9 top plate replacement?

osman44

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Sensor was replaced awhile ago, I know Leica is probably getting so many M9s but I want to replace my top plate and not wait forever because of this sensor stuff going on.

If I purchase a M9 top plate from third party is there anyone you can recommend that can replace mine for me?

Would Leica still give me the option of getting M9-P top plate if I decided to go with them?

I emailed customer service too many times and they have not replied to me. I also tried calling Leica NJ and nothing either.

Any help is appreciated.

Rene

I think someone form this forum has done it before, by sending it to a 3rd-party repair shop for the job to be done at a charge. Perhaps you've seen the post.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/231129-leica-m9-top-plate-swapping-anyone-ever-done-it/

I've also done it recently, so if you are in London I can do it at a small fee, or give you any help if you decide to do it yourself :)

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

You can search the forum post on Anatomy of the M8, which contains a very detailed view of the inside of the top plate. 

Most likely the new top plate you buy separately will not include the hot shoe, because the S/N is on it, and it goes with the camera body. You will need to remove your old hot shoe and install it on the new top plate. 

You will need to unsolder the hot shoe contacts from the circuit board inside the top plate, and also unscrew (4 screws) the hot shoe from the top plate. And then you need to do the reverse, by screwing the hot shoe onto the new top plate, and solder its four contacts to the new circuit board.

Other than this, if the new top plate you've got has all the other components like the shutter speed dial, shutter release button, and all the windows, then you are good to go. 

If the new top plate has only the frame, then you need to remove all the components from the old frame, which is in general quite easy. You will need to use a special tool for unscrewing the retaining screw of the shutter speed button, though, which is a 15.8mm flexiclamp. (something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-15-8mm-brass-ring-wrench-repair-tool-Remove-Leica-M3-M2-winding-lever-/371974503493?hash=item569b687c45:g:7pYAAOSwMNxXVTjv)

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1