A few questions about my Leica...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello from Croatia everyone!

I've been given an old Leica camera, and wanted to find out more about it (for eg. what model is it (I think it's a IIIf but really not sure), how much is it even worth, etc.). It also has the original purse. I don't know much about these cameras, so here's some pictures:

2dvue8n.jpg

2n7dpon.jpg

28kk31u.jpg

m8d3yg.jpg

I also have some optics which can be used with it I think, along with the Ernst Leitz 5cm which are original to the camera:

21c7eh.jpg

11t3d79.jpg

zwgvlv.jpg

Thanks for your help! Really looking to find out more about it.

Hello, 

Your camera is a 1951 lllf - quite a nice serial number and especially with the little tag. The lens on the camera looks like a Summitar f2 50 (easy for you to check). The other lens is a Russian model which may not focus correctly on the lllf. 

Valuations are against the forum rules - value depends on other factors than we can determine from photos such as functionality, lens condition etc. You can easily look up sold items on ebay to get an idea of recent selling values. If the camera needs a service then the value would be much less as the cost of servicing it would be nearly about the same as it's worth. 

If it is working why not get some film and try it out. The lllf is one of the best screw mount Leica models to use today. 

• Like 1

Here is a well known shop with some IIIf for sale : good reference for value : http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_de/leica/leica-screw-mount-cameras/iiif-black-dial.html  (they have also a "Canadian IIIf" : a rarity/collectible which is valued a lot)

The Russian lens is a Jupiter 11 135mm f4... I had one 40 years ago... indeed, it coupled correctly to Leica rangefinder (my one had a slightly different Mount... was a lens made for lot of years...) : you can find many of them on ebay... at very various prices in the "low" range: if also yours one does focus correctly on your IIIf , is quite a usable no bad lens (you need an external viewfinder to frame, of course) 

To test the camera... depends on you are or are not new to Leica usage... isn't a complex camera, but with a number of specific features... even loading the film can seem, initially, an odd and difficult task... in case, here you can find the original user manual of the Leica IIIf

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_if_iif_iiif/leica_if_iif_iiif.htm

Edited by luigi bertolotti