The Dreaded Missing "Protection Ring"...

Gregm61

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having just read this post and wondering what on earth this protection ring thingy is under discussion. I decided to look again into the pouch of my 35mm 1.4 ASPH (purchased back in 2012) and where I knew the lens cap was that Iv'e never bothered to take out...   and Lo and Behold... protection ring attached! 

Every day something new!

Guest tofu_man

Yes, the 28 lux does come with the ring.

Rick

The ring that comes with the 28 Lux is a protective filter thread ring (replacement cost $50). It doesn't protect the hood thread.

• Like 1

The protection ring of my 28/2 v2 was hidden in the pouch behind the lens cap. A new place acording to my dealer. The ring was almost invisible there. I would check twice to be sure.

Dumb question, but what is a protection ring?  I have a 28 2.0 v1.  Should it have one?

Ray - no. V.1 doesn't need/use a protection ring.

The deal is that Leica is converting older designs to match newer (post-MATE 16-18-21, 2006) designs - with screw-on metal hoods in place of the clip-on plastic behemoths. The lenses now have internal front threads for filters, and external threads for the hoods.

If no hood is used, the external hood threads are bare and exposed and can get damaged/bent, thus a protective ring is provided to screw onto the external threads and cover and protect them when no hood is mounted.

https://leicarumors.com/2016/05/12/diferences-between-the-old-and-the-new-2016-versions-of-the-leica-summicron-m-35mm-f2-asph-and-leica-summicron-m-28mm-f2-asph-lenses.aspx/

Edited by adan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ray - no. V.1 doesn't need/use a protection ring.

The deal is that Leica is converting older designs to match newer (post-MATE 16-18-21, 2006) designs - with screw-on metal hoods in place of the clip-on plastic behemoths. The lenses now have internal front threads for filters, and external threads for the hoods.

If no hood is used, the external hood threads are bare and exposed and can get damaged/bent, thus a protective ring is provided to screw onto the external threads and cover and protect them when no hood is mounted.

https://leicarumors.com/2016/05/12/diferences-between-the-old-and-the-new-2016-versions-of-the-leica-summicron-m-35mm-f2-asph-and-leica-summicron-m-28mm-f2-asph-lenses.aspx/

Very kind of you to explain so clearly and for posting the link.  Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I’ve just stumbled upon this thread when trying to source a protection ring for my 28mm 2.8.... and there it is. Right at the bottom of the case.

So hopefully this will serve as a thread bump for anyone else to see who might be wondering where their protection ring is.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jojotheking said:

Anyone know if these are interchangeable - is the 35mm Summicron or 28mm Summicron ring the same as the ring for 28mm Elmarit asph 2?

No,

the first two have front ring for E46 filter, while the last is for E39 filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh - that’s right in the case of the 28 Summicron - but the 35 is e39… does the protection ring on these newer lenses match the filter size? 

I just ordered a used 28 with no protection ring - and the only ones I’m finding online are from Leica Store Miami - and none are listed as for the Elmarit… thanks for chiming in…

24 minutes ago, Jojotheking said:

Oh - that’s right in the case of the 28 Summicron - but the 35 is e39… does the protection ring on these newer lenses match the filter size? 

I just ordered a used 28 with no protection ring - and the only ones I’m finding online are from Leica Store Miami - and none are listed as for the Elmarit… thanks for chiming in…

My Summarit 35mm and 50mm f/2.5 protection rings (39mm thread) fit my Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH (latest version) quite well, but they are not an exact fit. I would bet that the ring for the latest version 35mm Summicron ASPH (non APO) would be the right one. However, just email Josh at Leica Store Miami, as he will know the exact one that will work.

1 hour ago, Theory033 said:

My Summarit 35mm and 50mm f/2.5 protection rings (39mm thread) fit my Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH (latest version) quite well, but they are not an exact fit. I would bet that the ring for the latest version 35mm Summicron ASPH (non APO) would be the right one. However, just email Josh at Leica Store Miami, as he will know the exact one that will work.

Good call! Thank you!

I didn't even know there was such a ring. This thread made me curious, so I took the lens cap out of the pouch (it had remained in the pouch because I never intended using it), and lo and behold, there was a metal ring behind it! What do you know... :D

Frankly, I don't quite see the point. I understand it's supposed to be used in place of the hood if you don't want to use the hood. But why would I not want to use the hood? 
I would understand if it made it easier to use filters (because it's a bit annoying to remove the hood every time you want to mount or unmount a filter). But that doesn't seem to be the case. So what's the point?

Edited by Vlad Soare

9 hours ago, Vlad Soare said:

I didn't even know there was such a ring. This thread made me curious, so I took the lens cap out of the pouch (it had remained in the pouch because I never intended using it), and lo and behold, there was a metal ring behind it! What do you know... :D

Frankly, I don't quite see the point. I understand it's supposed to be used in place of the hood if you don't want to use the hood. But why would I not want to use the hood? 
I would understand if it made it easier to use filters (because it's a bit annoying to remove the hood every time you want to mount or unmount a filter). But that doesn't seem to be the case. So what's the point?

Try using a polarizer with the hood on... I have the thinnest and slimmest 46mm polarizer I know of (B+W XS-Pro KSM HTC-Pol MRC), and it won't fit under the hood of the 28mm Summicron Asph v2. Can't mount it, and even if I could, I wouldn't be able to turn it since the hood covers the thread completely. So, either polarizer and no hood, or no polarizer at all... 🙄

I don't know about the 28mm, but on my 35mm Summilux I couldn't fit a polarizer (or any other filter for that matter) with the protection ring either. So I wouldn't gain anything in the way of comfort by replacing the hood with the ring. Unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible. :)