The Dreaded Missing "Protection Ring"...

Gregm61

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A word of caution to anyone purchasing the new Leica lenses with the threaded hoods, as I just received my new 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-ASPH, a beautiful lens. I'm looking forward to using it.

Just arrived from B&H inside the tamper-resistant outer white box, which I broke the seal on and opened to find the lens with the beautiful hood already mounted and standard cap inside the lower compartment of the lens case.....and no threaded protection ring to replace the hood if I wanted to use the lens sans hood. To be honest a very small thing and I admit this one of the (relatively) cheap M lenses, but even so, at $2,295, you expect to see everything in there they advertise, LOL...

Contacted B&H and they're going to contact Leica about getting me the ring. Lord knows how long that'll take, and not that I was planning on using it all that much, but still.... :)

Edited by Gregm61

I think that it the same withe Super Elmar 21mm. It does not have the retaining ring or the E46 cap (14321). The scope of delivery includes only the hood and its cap in addition to the bottom cap and the leather case. It seems that the intent is to use the lens with the hood on at all times. I ordered the retaining ring from Leica NJ. It is the same one for the Summilux 35mm FLE, thus a available in either black or silver.

That is OK. My RRS bracket came without a hex key, but as I had spares, I fixed it to the camera. Naturally I wrote to BHPhoto - who never responded. 

After about 6 weeks of use, I found it ... mounted inside the bracket :) 

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The protection ring of my 28/2 v2 was hidden in the pouch behind the lens cap. A new place acording to my dealer. The ring was almost invisible there. I would check twice to be sure.

+1

Same mistake here, same foolish feeling when I fount it.

Mark (East Lansing, Michigan)

To be honest a very small thing ...

... so small that infact I don't know where is the same ring of my Summarit 75... :angry: ... I'm 100% sure that it hasn't gone lost (was never out of home... mounted the hood one of the first days I had the lens, and from then, reversed or mounted, has been always on), but damn if I have idea of where is it... :(

+1

Same mistake here, same foolish feeling when I fount it.

Mark (East Lansing, Michigan)

And me. We can't all be foolish, so a suggestion would be for them to amend the instruction book or at least put a small addendum flyer in there.  Fortunately my dealer knew exactly where it was to be found.

When I was a child I received a box of magic tricks for Christmas. After about a year I had extracted all the fun I could get from it when I noticed two tabs at the sides of the large central compartment. Lifting it out I discovered a second layer with even more magic. Ever since I reduce packaging to molecules so as not to miss anything.

• Like 6

When I was a child I received a box of magic tricks for Christmas. After about a year I had extracted all the fun I could get from it when I noticed two tabs at the sides of the large central compartment. Lifting it out I discovered a second layer with even more magic. Ever since I reduce packaging to molecules so as not to miss anything.

On a similar note, how many of us have failed to turn over the exam paper......

• 1 year later...

On the flip side, the original f/2.5 Summarits shipped without hoods, and came with the protection ring pre-installed on the lens.

A few years ago when I was working in the camera shop, a new 90 Summarit user and the store manager spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to mount the accessory hood. I had to point out the ring that had to be removed, because it blends into the lens so well.

anyone know if the 28Lux come with such a ring (for times you don't want the to use the hood)?

thanks

I don't think so, mine did not and when I asked I was told they don't as it is not recommended to use w/o hood (same as the SEM 21). It may have changed though as this was a while ago

Guest tofu_man

anyone know if the 28Lux come with such a ring (for times you don't want the to use the hood)?

thanks

My 28mm Lux has a removable ring that unscrews from the filter threads but not a ring to protect the hood threads.

Edited by tofu_man

Oh, what a fool am I.....

It was hidden in another false bottom underneath the lens cap. Man, that totally fooled me all afternoon. I'll chat with B&H tomorrow. Stupid me, thank you.

Thanks for posting this... I too just bought a new 28 Elmarit and didn’t think about the retaining ring; I just looked and found the somewhat hidden ring and metal lens cap under the padding at the bottom of the leather case :-). Thanks for letting us know!

I recently purchased this lens also, I just checked and found the thread protector and lens cap also. Thanks

I found that the cap will work on my APO 50 with a UV filter on, since  the supplied APO cap for it is too shallow to use

when i have a UV filter on it.

I will be only be using the 28 during the day, so the hood will be on all the time and use the hood cover.

Edited by lexontario

A few years ago when I was working in the camera shop, a new 90 Summarit user and the store manager spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to mount the accessory hood. I had to point out the ring that had to be removed, because it blends into the lens so well.

:D … I didn't open the box of my Summarit 75 in the shop… and rumbled some days asking to myself how Leica had became so stupid to provide an unmountable hood…  (thought that they had to fire their CEO… which by chance they indeed did a short time after… :p)

(and… it was thanks to the Forum that I discovered the elusive ring, and the fact that you can mount the hood reversed… ;))

Edited by luigi bertolotti

LOL...I've used the protective ring for the 35mm f1.4 FLE several times when I didn't want to hood mounted and make sure to return it to the box after used because I know, if I don't, it'll never be found again.