Best Film M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This works - I did something similar cutting a plastic piece of 3D glasses which uses polarizing foil and putting it over the frame illumination window. It reduced the patch flare > 50%. Not perfect, but for free ;)

I tried cutting up some stiff polarised material I had for replacing the lenses on my 1920’s French aviation cap with built in goggles but could not get it to stick to the illumination window, as it is very slightly curved, so gave up and bought the SHADE. Rik very kindly sent me two for the price of one.

BTW I disagree that the original M4 RF (mine is a very early one, #47 bought on the first day of sale In the UK) is better than the improved M7 RF. My M7 is definitely better. My M4 restored to as new by Peter Grisaffi (CRR).

Wilson

I tried cutting up some stiff polarised material I had for replacing the lenses on my 1920’s French aviation cap with built in goggles but could not get it to stick to the illumination window, as it is very slightly curved, so gave up and bought the SHADE. Rik very kindly sent me two for the price of one.

BTW I disagree that the original M4 RF (mine is a very early one, #47 bought on the first day of sale In the UK) is better than the improved M7 RF. My M7 is definitely better. My M4 restored to as new by Peter Grisaffi (CRR).

Wilson

Didn't state this about the M4 vs. M7 rangefinder but okay  :). I attached the polarizing sheet with thin strips of Scotch tape on each side to the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

A while back wanted to buy the last new film cameras, so three years ago bought a Nikon F6, fantastic camera, its a Cadillac, a Mercedes, a Bentley all lux and wonder, then I bought an MA its a Caterham, a Chevron B8 , a Lotus Elise of a camera , and both have their roles. The MA gives me nothing that I don't have in other Leica's, its just new. My reconditioned MR meter fits it perfectly, but for the sake of svelteness use the impressively accurate light meter app for my Iphone, which tallies more often than not with my Gossen and more than accurate enough for B&W or C41, Why carry a light meter when chances are you will be carrying a phone any way?

• Like 1

Earlier in this thread I wrote that I thought the M4 was the best of the M film cameras, but I’d like to change my vote...

I now own a 1961 M2. This is a serious, no BS camera. There’s not a gram of fat on her. Nothing superfluous. Perfect.

• Like 2

The one you have.

Case closed. :)

:D

That's really what I would answer.

Have better idea now:

Monday... M2

Tuesday... M3

Friday... M-A

Sunday ...M5

then the week after

Monday ...M6

Tuesday ...M4-P

Wednesday ...M4

Thursday ...MP

Friday ...MDa

so on

• Like 1

Earlier in this thread I wrote that I thought the M4 was the best of the M film cameras, but I’d like to change my vote...

I now own a 1961 M2. This is a serious, no BS camera. There’s not a gram of fat on her. Nothing superfluous. Perfect.

Couldn’t agree more. Nice to see you have seen the light (so to speak ... ) ;)

• Like 1

No one has yet mentioned the best/simplest M Leica , the one with no meter to go wrong , no range finder to go out of alignment, the M that makes all others Ms lardy in their complexity, my redoubtable M1 plus a tape measure !

Edited by AdamSinger
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...