Best Film M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've only used M2, M6 and MP. These three are all great. Obviously the M2 has no TTL metering. I would say make a decision about whether or not you want metering and then see what available within budget. I believe that the shutter speed dial on the M7 rotates the opposite way to other film Ms. I don't know which way t rotates on the digital Ms cos I don't have one. It might be helpful to get a film M with the shutter speed dial turning the same way as your digital ones.

I've only used M2, M6 and MP. These three are all great. Obviously the M2 has no TTL metering. I would say make a decision about whether or not you want metering and then see what available within budget. I believe that the shutter speed dial on the M7 rotates the opposite way to other film Ms. I don't know which way t rotates on the digital Ms cos I don't have one. It might be helpful to get a film M with the shutter speed dial turning the same way as your digital ones.

The shutter speed dial of the M6 (non TTL version) only allows clockwise rotation from the B position and starts from long towards short exposures. The M7 dial can rotate both clockwise and counter-clockwise from the B position in comparison - clockwise rotation starts at short towards long exposures. 

• 2 months later...

For my use, I say M7. The thing with film Leica, you can buy one, try it out for several weeks/months and sell it back the same price.

You can buy a M6 if you are shooting more manually but M7 if most of the time you are using Auto something on digital. This is still a tool which will work great as long as it correspond to your needs and practice.

And yes, battery of the M7 is not an issue, inexpensive to buy, you can carry 2 sets if you want. Actually, the M7 has a switch wich shuts camera off. Such convenient than putting the M6 on B mode...

Don't forget that film type is a very important element. Finally, any M film will give you the same result with the same lens.... Good luck and have fun :-)

• Like 1

I always aim for "one less thing to worry about." You need to set ISO (albeit once per roll), aperture, shutter speed, and focus. That's 4 things. The M7 reduces that to aperture and focus. Occasionally you have to compensate exposure, but that's true with every camera.

• Like 2

I have a 35cron and 50lux from my digital M, just need a body to match them with. I am considering the M6, M7, or getting the Leica M-A. Any insights on these models would be helpful.

I have 35 and 90mm M lenses and prefer manual/mechanical M rangefinder film bodies with or without a built-in light meter. When I was looking for an M rangefinder film body, I decided that the M2, M6, and MP were the best film bodies for me. (I do not think the M-A was in production when I was looking.)

I decided on the M6. However, I think I would also have been completely satisfied with the M2, MP, or M-A.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

- Mechanically and for the sheer joy of operating it: Definitely M3. The ‚silky smooth‘ description of shutter release and film-winding mechanisms may be cliché, but that does not make it less true. I was lucky to source a near-mint single stroke with matching Elmar 50 mm (the only focal length I use on my M3). I use sunny sixteen with that camera (Sekonic L-208 and graycard carried as a backup for difficult lighting situations). Owning the M3, I no longer feel the urge to acquire a M-A, although I still applaud Leica‘s decision to build it.

- From a practical standpoint, M7 with all the versatility, reassurance in difficult light, reliable metering for longer term exposures & indoors, automatic (yes, I admit to it) if situations warrant it. The batteries seem to last for ages. I never had to rely on the mechanical emergency exposure times of 1/60 & 1/125 in the field, but it is good to know that they are there. I have upgraded from the early flare-prone M7 VF to the wonderful MP finder, though.

• Like 1

LEFT: M3 & age matched user.

RIGHT: M7 & age matched user.

MIDDLE: M9 & (err... I have to wing it there: user is twice the age of the camera ;) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

After shooting now for a while with three M cameras, here is my short list of pro and cons for each:

Leica M3

+ No batteries needed, all mechanical

+ Best viewfinder and focus magnification (0.91x) for 50 and 90 mm, no doubt about it

+ No rangefinder patch flare!

+ Extremely well built

+ Double stroke is quite nice to use

- Film loading is a bit more cumbersome to do especially when outdoors

- Slightly blueish viewfinder is different when working with another M in parallel

- No frame lines for focal length below 50 mm

- No internal light meter

Leica M6

+ Frame lines down to 28 mm

+ Still works at limited exposure time without battery

+ Weight and size is perfect for travel

- Rangefinder patch flare can be annoying

- A bit too little exposure dial in the non-TTL version which only rotates in clockwise direction from B position

Leica M7

+ Frame lines the same as in the M6

+ Rarely any rangefinder patch flare

+ Option to use Av mode (I rarely do though)

+ Automatic film ISO detection

+ More narrow/selective exposure metering 

- Film cartridge doesn't slide out of the camera as easily as in the M6 after film is fully exposed

- ISO wheel on the back is not intuitive when using the camera the first time

- Clockwise rotation starts at short towards long exposures on the exposure dial opposite to the M6 (which can be confusing when using M6 and M7 in parallel)

- Uses more batteries and doesn't work without them

- Heavier than the M6

I find myself most often using the M6 since I am shooting also predominantly with wider focal length lenses. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

Until last year I would have said my M4, which is a 50+ year love affair, since it became mine when new, in 1967. However last July a new lady entered my life, a black M7 with a Motor-M on it. I am ashamed to admit I have not finished a single roll of film in the old lady M4 since, whereas the M7 has had around 20 rolls throughput. At the same time I bought an ex-collector 1999 year Special Edition LTM Summilux III, which I don't think had ever been mounted on a camera, as there was not the hint of a scuff on the mount and the 50/75 LTM to M2 ring was still sealed in its cellophane bag. This is now by some margin my favourite 50mm lens (and I have lots and lots of them from Anastigmat forwards). It may not be as razor sharp as the 50 ASPH Summilux but I don't miss that one little bit. The III's OOF is far gentler than the ASPH, albeit not as wacky as my 50/1.5 Summarit and of course, I can use it on my screw mount cameras. 

Wilson

I have to admit after using purely mechanical M cameras for fifty years with hand-held meter, the M7's metering is better than I am.  I have three of them with various finders.  Wonderful camera.

Second choice, M4. Third M2. (I have no experience with an M3)

Edited by pico

I’ve had my standard black lacquer MP for 12 years. I have no idea if the MP is the ‘best’ Leica film M, but I still think it’s the best looking M that Leica have ever made.

No silly red dot, minimal classic script and now showing subtle signs of 12 years of adventures. I can’t imagine my photographic life without it.

I suppose the best Leica film M is the one you use.

• Like 1

M6 with the MP optics upgrade is pretty darn tough to beat for $1,200.  I'd take any Leica film body FYI.

Agree on both points: i bought my M6 in 1985, but just had the finder upgraded a couple years ago - great improvement. I have M2,3,4,5,6 - and whichever I'm using seems to be my favorite at the time. (I'd be tempted to vote for the Zeiss Ikon ZM to be included in the list too - best finder of all.)

• Like 1