Best Film M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been looking to shoot more film recently and trying to decide on what Film M to use. I have a 35cron and 50lux from my digital M, just need a body to match them with. I am considering the M6, M7, or getting the Leica M-A. Any insights on these models would be helpful. Thanks.

M-A M6 M7 ?  imho is clear what you must think to... METERING... 35+50 is Ok for all... Handling and size similar... M-A and M-7 can be bought new, M6 no but this is not so important apart money (a good M6 with a very well made CLA will be anyway around half of the other two)

So... it's all about you wish or not to renounce (and how much : 100% 70% 50% for the 3... roughly...) to the level of exposure automation you can enjoy on your digital M; as for me... I can't imagine to comeback to hand metering or guessing (and I did BOTH, in many years of film Leicas) ... but who knows what it means to go again with FILM ?  I think of this time to time... and I think that should I decide to give a try to this nostalgic comeback, my more important issuee could be about "not waste film" (digital has changed deeply this mood), and processing of the picture... (indeed, I think that in case I would do film scan by lab) ; I wouldn't be worried to keep again in my hands my M4 - and no meter... I suppose that I would incur in some exposure errors :huh:, but I could do it... and Gossen is at home, and functional, anyway...  

Finally, keeping apart any useful or not reasoning  : my istinct answer is "M6 classic"

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 5

Best film M (or what ever brand or model) don't exist.

Those are only tools, and in good hands (of photographer), any could be the best for the job.

- M6 is the best value for money with light meter

- M7 is the best if one needs Auto exposure

- M-A is the best last classic M with the bare minimum, even no light meter

Any one with same lens may give same result in good hands, of course.

• Like 1

Do you want a built in meter?  Then I would say MP.  If you don't want a meter then I would say M-A.

I don't like that the M7 relies on electronics.  It loses too much functionality if the battery dies.  

I own an M6 classic and I like it but the finder is prone to flare.  This can be fixed by getting it replaced with an MP finder.  But if you haven't yet bought a camera then you could just as well go directly to the MP.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3 for 50, M2 for 35. They have framelines which are actually matching and not cluttered with something else framelines . M3 50mm frames are so good, I'm about to sell one of my digital M to get 50 Lux for my M3 ELC. 

• Like 2

I had the same decision to make two years ago—and went for the Leica M-A. No regrets yet. I like this one best because (1) the clutter-free framelines and (2) the electronic-free mechanics. No battery chamber, image that! If you take a look under the M6's or M7's top cap and see all those flexible circuit boards, you might almost mistake them for digital cameras.

Of course, that means carrying a hand-held light meter. But then, I'm getting better at estimating exposure so I don't have to consult the meter for every shot. It's a very liberating way of shooting ... most of the time ;)

By the way, I was slightly worried about the rewind knob. I imagined it rather cumbersome to operate, compared to a rewind crank. But not so! In fact, now I prefer the knob over the crank.

• Like 2

Do you want a built in meter?  Then I would say MP.  If you don't want a meter then I would say M-A.

I don't like that the M7 relies on electronics.  It loses too much functionality if the battery dies.  

I own an M6 classic and I like it but the finder is prone to flare.  This can be fixed by getting it replaced with an MP finder.  But if you haven't yet bought a camera then you could just as well go directly to the MP.

I use an M7 most of the time but I have several other bodies which get quite a lot of use. The old chestnut about the M7 relying on batteries being a problem makes me laugh. People will buy a digital camera, which is just an ornament without a battery, and never give a thought about battery reliance yet get up tight about it with the M7. If I use my digital I carry a spare battery, if I use my M7 I carry a spare set of batteries. Sorry but I don't see the problem. Having said all that my M4-P with hand held meter gets almost as much use as the M7, its just not quite so convenient. 

• Like 6

1. What's your end product: wet doka, baryt paper , or scanning and print on inkjet paper?

2 If it's inkjet : what's your scanning idea: silver film or C41?

3 If it's silver, what would that cost for a real good scanner?

4 If it's C41, why would you want a built-in meter, given the latitude of modern C41 films?

My answers to these questions lead to an M4, with a Gossen Digisix2, but that's personal. Because the M4 is a perfect camera, not too expensive and a very good scanner, or a Heiland SplitGrade enlarger might be a better idea to spend your money on

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

I don't mean to make your decision more complicated, but one thing I wish I has considered is whether the Leica has a specific finder magnification. There is .58, .72 and .85. This might not concern you if you do not wear glasses or have young eyes. If the later, than the common.72, considered universal, is good.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the insights! I have narrowed it down to the Leica MP or Leica M7 as I don't want to carry around a hand meter. I like the look of the Leica M7 better than the MP so I may end going with the M7.

My most recent M film cameras are two M7 early editions which have the mechanical ISO sensor and unimproved finder. I find the cameras to be very good. Battery life is not an issue. They last months, and keeping spares in a tiny case on the strap is no bother.

If purchasing today, I would get the MP in black enamel and .85 finder.

Very best of luck.

• Like 1

Personally I'd choose an M4 without hesitation, followed by an M2. Great for old dinosaurs like me who judge exposure by the available light according to its availability...using the basic sunny 16 rule (or the info which used to be packaged on the inside of film boxes), and only rarely needing a meter.

• Like 3

@pico:

Yes if possible I would go for a .85 also. On film I'd rather not go as wide as 28mm because grain is getting more dominance over the visibility of subject details; more so than on a 24Mp sensor. The 35mm is framed very fine in the 0.85 viewfinder and you feel more connected to your subject, that's my experience.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

.....On film I'd rather not go as wide as 28mm because grain is getting more dominance over the visibility of subject details; more so than on a 24Mp sensor. The 35mm is framed very fine in the 0.85 viewfinder and you feel more connected to your subject, that's my experience.

That would explain perfectly why no one in the entire history of photography was ever able to make a worthwhile image with a wide angle lens on film, then.

Thank you for clearing that up.

• Like 8

All good choices so far, but I'd like to throw in the M5 to the mix, since the OP stated he wanted a metered camera.

I know this is the red-haired stepchild of Leicas, but every time I use it I'm impressed by not only the build quality, but the photos it produces. I own the M6 as well, but IMHO the spotmeter in the M5 is more accurate. I also own an M3 and an M4 and the construction of the M5 does not fall behind the 2 classics at all.

• Like 3

That would explain perfectly why no one in the entire history of photography was ever able to make a worthwhile image with a wide angle lens on film, then.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Man With Bandage, 1968, taken by Fred Herzog was with 24 Nikkor lens. This picture has traveled the world as part of the exhibitions in known art places and it is in the books as well.

Bruce Gilden, Magnum,  21mm and M6.

Jeanloup Seiff, 21 Super Angulon.

Raymond Depardon, Magnum photographer as well. 21mm lens.

Mark Cohen used a 21mm lens.

Wilhelm Mikhailovsky used a Zorki and a Russar 20/f5.6.

All on film...

But I might be wrong with "worthwhile" merit of yours.   :)

• Like 1