Leica NJ does not have any CCD now, turnaround time might take longer

jiheng779

It is your privilege to have it wrong.

Not surprised that my last answer was outside your cultural bubble :lol:

It's my privilege to judge the validity of your claims within the context of your long running campaign to defend Leica's honour at whatever cost to your dignity.
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, there are electronic parts dealers online that list prices for these sensors. This German outfit quote around €2,000 for a single unit of the M9 sensor. Presumably Leica will be buying them in batches larger than one and getting a discounted rate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For what it's worth, there are electronic parts dealers online that list prices for these sensors...

But the cost of a single unit doesn't have much bearing on the price that Leica pays for these, as you acknowledge. Edited by almoore

[...] Leica pays over 1500 Euro per sensor...

Which also explains why they cannot overstock.

Cost per sensor does not explain why Leica cannot stock up (in your view, 'overstock) because we do not know the contractual details, whether prepay is necessary, whether some compensation is made by the manufacturer to accommodate damage to Leica's reputation or due to failure of competent manufacture. IOW, summary cost per sensor is unknown. Further, if Leica claims it is 1500 euro we do not know if they include their costs in the figure - do they include handling, technicians' time, accounting ...

Finally, why do think stocking is necessarily  overstocking?

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

But the cost of a single unit doesn't have much bearing on the price that Leica pays for these.

It does, however, provide a useful benchmark figure of sorts and lends some credence to Jaap's figure (which a retail price of €100 or €10,000 wouldn't IMO). It pains me a little to back up Jaap but, for what it's worth, I was also told by Leica Customer care that it was costing Leica €1,800 to replace each sensor. That was in 2014 (prior to the official goodwill notice) and I was being told it as part of a warning (justification?) that I might have to pay to have my Monochrom sensor replaced.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

It pains me a little to back up Jaap but, for what it's worth, I was also told by Leica Customer care that Leica were paying €1,800 for each sensor they were replacing. This was, however, in 2014 (prior to the official goodwill notice) and I was being told it as part of a warning that I might have to pay to have my Monochrom sensor replaced.

I understand and feel your pain, but do you believe that figure? It's in their interest to talk this up. If anything, the single unit price casts even more doubt on the notion that Leica pays 1500 plus.

Edited by almoore

I understand and feel your pain, but do you believe that figure? If anything, the single unit price casts even more doubt on the notion that Leica pays 1500 plus.

I honestly don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if the overall cost to Leica (sensor plus labour costs) was of the order of €1500 per replacement. It might be that the sensor manufacturer has agreed to cover some of the cost? I think only Dr Kaufmann and, of course, Jaap know the true costs.

I honestly don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if the overall cost to Leica (sensor plus labour costs) was of the order of €1500 per replacement. It might be that the sensor manufacturer has agreed to cover some of the cost? I think only Dr Kaufmann and, of course, Jaap know the true costs.

And the rest of Leica, as far as they are interested :)

That is indeed the correct figure still as I was told, Ian. 300 € was the "over"part of my post. Possibly labour.

It does, however, provide a useful benchmark figure of sorts and lends some credence to Jaap's figure (which a retail price of €100 or €10,000 wouldn't IMO). It pains me a little to back up Jaap but, for what it's worth, I was also told by Leica Customer care that it was costing Leica €1,800 to replace each sensor. That was in 2014 (prior to the official goodwill notice) and I was being told it as part of a warning (justification?) that I might have to pay to have my Monochrom sensor replaced.

• Like 1

I think Leica has manufacturing and service policies problems, which they need to solve if they want to be recognized as professional cameras manufacturer, not boutique style manufacturer of luxury items.

IMO, it has to be returned at least to M3-M6 support level, where independent technicians are able to do repairs. With educated and modern manufacturing it is well possible. 

Look at Canon. Shutter assembly and sensor covers (this is what corroding on M9 series, not the sensor) are available for purchase (official part number is known, refurbished parts are available) and Canon DLSRs are made simple enough to have shutter and sensor cover to by replaced even by DIY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-5D-MARK-II-LOW-PASS-FILTER-Replacement-Part-/361918967793?hash=item54440d2ff1:g:BggAAOSwuxFYub-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-5D-REPLACEMENT-SHUTTER-UNIT-REPAIR-PART/331495845031?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Df3ab606eaea1408dbd2f5682c3490b80%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D360819602354

Yes, Canon Canada has one official service location only. But it is possible to order parts from them and turn around for service is quick. You could monitor the progress on-line. You don't have to call and ask if it is fixed yet or not. In addition to this the Big Box stores are often using independent service centers for their four years full coverage of repairs policy. It takes longer to get  it done, but I guess it is more cost effective for large Canon dealers.   

Well....back to the original poster, LOL, when I sent my M9-P in in January, 2016, it also took 4 months due to no sensors in stock at the time, so your wait time is not unique. Got mine back in mid-May.

I found out later I could have "gotten in line" by contacting Leica and keeping my camera to use, then sending it in when Leica let you know they have a sensor for your camera.

• Like 1

I take offense at being accused of lying, especially by some heckler.

When we post an absolute, such as the price, without naming a source, then the statement is fair game. When we DO name the source, then our attention turns to the source.

Who is the source?

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Just as a quick update for everyone, sent my M9 to NJ in the middle of last month. On the 24th i got the "received email" Today i finally got the confirmation document that describes the sensor replacement that needs to be done to the camera, plus the CLA.

I replied back with my document signed to approve the work and i asked what the approximate turn around time for the repair would be... They did not mention anything about the sensor shortage, but they did mention that the wait time is approximately 24 WEEKS  :o  :blink: .

So it seems will be getting back my M9 around Christmas  :(

• Like 1