Astrophotography and the T

Yes I have but the problem is the 30sec max exposure time, and according to Leica UK the CCD doesn't really perform after much longer because of the chip overheating, which is a really shame as I could see many uses for longer exposures.

Hi Jaap,

Not necessarily, I stack my images and to avoid star trails I use a German EQ mount, but when travelling I use a Star Adventurer, and could if the T allowed it shoot 10 minute + exposures without any trails.

img_1357.jpg

To get the details you need the exposure.

The problem is even with 30 secs exposures the T doesn't like the CCD getting hot, I have reported it as a bug to Leica, but was advised that it is unlikely that they can do anything about it without a total redesign of the camera.

So now sadly I have to use my Nikon D800, which is heavier, bulkier but allows me to use a bulb exposure,

I use an HEQ5Pro when imaging the DSO at home and I'd love to be able to use my Leica but sadly can't

Hi Jaap,

Not necessarily, I stack my images and to avoid star trails I use a German EQ mount, but when travelling I use a Star Adventurer, and could if the T allowed it shoot 10 minute + exposures without any trails.

img_1357.jpg

To get the details you need the exposure.

The problem is even with 30 secs exposures the T doesn't like the CCD getting hot, I have reported it as a bug to Leica, but was advised that it is unlikely that they can do anything about it without a total redesign of the camera.

So now sadly I have to use my Nikon D800, which is heavier, bulkier but allows me to use a bulb exposure,

I use an HEQ5Pro when imaging the DSO at home and I'd love to be able to use my Leica but sadly can't

Yes, I know about real astrophotography but the OP wants to have the stars as part of a landscape. In that case one either wants the stars as points in an motion-blurless landscape, or the stars as long circle-segment trails (which the T could never provide)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

fastfashn,

IMO, the T works very well for astrophotography w/ landscape.  Here are some quick and dirty pics with the 11-18mm.  If you use faster lenses, you can of course do much better, but this night the moon was 37% illuminated, so in order not to overexpose the cloud bank, I was restricted to shorter exposures.

With a 35mm lens on the T, stars will begin to show trail with a 10-15 sec. exposure.  With a wider angle, you can get away with longer exposure times.  I find ISO 3200 to work well for the stars themselves.

The trickiest thing is focusing with the T.  If you want the stars in sharpest focus, I suggest using MF, and setting focus just at the point where the brightest stars seem to scintillate.

The last photo is with a Leica X2 (same sensor), just so show what f2.8 and 15 sec. can do for you from a truly dark sky.  Enjoy your T for astro photos.

Brent

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

EDIT: These are two X2 photos.  I'll load the T photos when I can figure out how to attach new photos.  I'll be back.

Edited by bcorton
  • Like 3

Here are the Moonlight-limited T shots.

• Like 4

Tucson Nights

Leica T, 11-23 @11, 400 ISO, 30 seconds

• Like 2