How significant is the sensor dust problem on the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Honestly, I think the dust on sensor problem on the Q/Q2 is not a common problem. Early on with the Q it was a bit more prevalent. I’ve never experienced it and it seems to me many others have never experienced it. I suggest you enjoy your new camera and not worry about it. If it does occur, it’ll be cleaned under warranty. Again, the probability seems low. Just not zero. 

You asked what happened to my camera. I’m unsure of the context of your question because while I’ve not experienced a dust problem, I did drop my camera from a tripod while on vacation in August. It banged it up pretty good, but still functioned fine for the rest of the vacation. When I arrived home I sent it to Leica New Jersey for repair. They got it back to me in about a month in spite of having to get an internal part out of Germany. The top plate was cracked and underneath that a circuit board was damaged. Totally all my doing. I could not be more happy with Leica USA service. My camera is again pristine. 

I was I guess making sure that you were as happy with your Q as you could be, which it seems so.   I am just now trying to see if I can use this for portraiture so I can truly walk away from the Canon system.  I had my daughter shoot me because she refused to let me shoot her.   I have another 3 days before I must decide to keep or return.  This is just the jpg from the shot, cropped to be able to upload here.  I am impressed with the warmth; this was on AWB, auto ISO and the crop to the 75mm in camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by photoshack
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, Jared said:

I’m sorry to hear that your camera needs a cleaning, but I’m a little confused by your response... 150 GBP for a cleaning seems pretty reasonable given the fact that disassembly is required to get to the sensor.  And, presumably, your camera is three or four years old if it doesn’t already have the shroud.  You’re also getting the shroud installed problem is less likely to recur.  The camera will also be ready sooner than expected.  You also mentioned you love the Q.

Why is this the last Leica you will buy?  Why are you selling it?  Why are you gutted?  If you bought a car you would expect maintenance costs.  If you bought an M3 rangefinder you would expect the occasional cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.  If you bought a nice watch it would need the occasional cleaning.  Even my home furnace needs occasional maintenance.  Why is the expectation that the Q would run indefinitely with no costs?

Well i bought a minolta x-700 in 1982 and when i switched to digital in 2013 it was still working just like it was back then and still does.

Then i got a olympus pen ep-5 in 2013 and it just works like it did when i bought it.

But with a leica q you need to get it fixed now and then or stick gaffer tape on various holes to stop dust getting in!

Really?

14 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Well i bought a minolta x-700 in 1982 and when i switched to digital in 2013 it was still working just like it was back then and still does.

Then i got a olympus pen ep-5 in 2013 and it just works like it did when i bought it.

But with a leica q you need to get it fixed now and then or stick gaffer tape on various holes to stop dust getting in!

Really?

Any camera/any brand can have a problem that requires a repair.  My Q has never needed to be serviced and has no tape and no dust issue and I live in a fairly dusty location, but that hasn’t been the case for everyone. I don’t happen to know whether mine was produced before the additional shroud was added.  Dust problems are the exception, though, not the rule.  

My Nikon D-700 last year stopped working entirely.  The shutter actuates, but the CCD produces nothing but black images. That doesn’t make the Nikon D-700 bad—the camera just broke.  It happens.  

As far as I can tell, the Q is no more or less reliable than other cameras. Same for Nikon, despite my sample. Even your Minolta X-700 was known to have a problem with a capacitor failing, causing the shutter to lock up. Didn’t happen to every X-700, but enough of them that you can find DIY videos (more than one) on how to fix it.  It’s still generally a reliable camera.  So is the Q.  

14 minutes ago, Jared said:

Any camera/any brand can have a problem that requires a repair.  My Q has never needed to be serviced and has no tape and no dust issue and I live in a fairly dusty location, but that hasn’t been the case for everyone. I don’t happen to know whether mine was produced before the additional shroud was added.  Dust problems are the exception, though, not the rule.  

My Nikon D-700 last year stopped working entirely.  The shutter actuates, but the CCD produces nothing but black images. That doesn’t make the Nikon D-700 bad—the camera just broke.  It happens.  

As far as I can tell, the Q is no more or less reliable than other cameras. Same for Nikon, despite my sample. Even your Minolta X-700 was known to have a problem with a capacitor failing, causing the shutter to lock up. Didn’t happen to every X-700, but enough of them that you can find DIY videos (more than one) on how to fix it.  It’s still generally a reliable camera.  So is the Q.  

Fair point,i think part of the problem is i came on this forum when i got an m type 262 but have never previously bothered with any photo forum.