How significant is the sensor dust problem on the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You know, this forum often leaves me very puzzled. Generally the Q is put on a pedestal  and hailed as one of the best Leica products. When a newcomer starts questioning the product they get shot down as trolls. And then, now and again, quite casually people start talking about one of it's faults (which are quite substantial in nature). It's just bizarre. :huh:

We all come from different backgrounds and experiences so it's not surprising to me that we see comments and questions all over the map. I've stated numerous times that I love the Q, but I also confess to a bit of anxiety about the sensor dust problem I had the exact same problem pop up on my Fuji X100. The thoughts of sending the camera to Wexlar for cleaning is not something I look forward to. My Canon 5D3 has an electrostatic cleaning technology as well as access to the sensor that makes dust spots a non-issue. Lucerne is right now dealing with this and will inform us of Leica's response. Yes, I do find the AF and macro mode very compelling and it's why I think the Q is an almost ideal travel / street camera. Weathersealing would have made it considerably better.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 2

I stand corrected. In my defence I didn't have a 'Q' in front of me when I wrote, and the Fuji lens does move, so could be a source of 'breathing in' dust.

I suppose it's possible that the 'Q' apparent dust problem could be similar to that of the Nikon D600, where 'dust' turned out for some (myself included) to be oil from the shutter being redistributed.

I doubt whether Leica will ever tell us.

• Like 1

One year after purchase I have zero dust on my sensor. To be honest if that happen and I have to pay for it to be cleaned I'll leave Leica forever. I love this camera but l couldn't stand paying to clean a camera that should have been perfectly sealed for the price it costs. Leica chose to not seal them, fine, but then they should clean for free at least during 10 years!

• Like 4

Mine somehow filled up with dust a bit over a year ago and at the time it also have a sticky shutter release so they replaced it (I bought that camera on the day they were released) and since then I have had to have it replaced a further 3 times before I got one that didn't have problems with the lens being out of alignment. How it originally got in there I have no idea but over night it had spots of dust all over the sensor!! Apart from this it is the best Leica camera I have ever used and it is with me every day. Luckily I live in London and Leica Mayfair can clean the sensor if needs be

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

Mine somehow filled up with dust a bit over a year ago and at the time it also have a sticky shutter release so they replaced it (I bought that camera on the day they were released) and since then I have had to have it replaced a further 3 times before I got one that didn't have problems with the lens being out of alignment. How it originally got in there I have no idea but over night it had spots of dust all over the sensor!! Apart from this it is the best Leica camera I have ever used and it is with me every day. Luckily I live in London and Leica Mayfair can clean the sensor if needs be

Not a good story, but I think that it represents a case of exceptionally bad luck early in the production run.

Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not a good story, but I think that it represents a case of exceptionally bad luck early in the production run.

Rob

I'm not sure that is the case but of course it could be as optically my first Q was superb and then it took another 3 cameras to get one that equalled the first one in terms of IQ. It may have had something to do with the sticky shutter release button and something having got in through there I don't know. I do use my camera almost everyday and it is not pampered so it does get out in all environments. A properly weather sealed Q would IMO be the best Leica camera on the market.

Good news.

Please ask what they would charge outside warranty.

Personally I would really expect them to clean it for free even outside of the warranty period. After all this is a camera that now costs £3549 here in the UK and has a fixed lens that should NOT suffer from the ingress of dust onto the sensor at anytime.

• Like 1

I agree, but I'll be happy to get it done. The next problem is how to get it to central London safely. It's 250 miles away from me. Postal services don't guarantee a value of £3k. Anyone know about a suitable courier in the UK.

After a year of frequent, hard, outdoor use -- my Q remains clean.  I have taped the mic holes etc. but who knows where else might be dangerous.

I just never think about dust, I just shoot, shoot and shoot...

I use the Q very since I bought in 2 years back. No sensor dust can be traced. My Canon 5DMK3 is far more likely to collect quite  a lot of dust although I do not use it so much. My X1 did also not show any dust. So probably I am lucky but I also Keep an eye on the camera when being in dusty landscape areas. Plastic foil is sometimes advisable not only against rain.

Adam

Dust doesn't enter the camera through the front of the lens although I do use a clear protection on my lens. While we can't be sure, it appears to enter either by the macro setting ring or else the focus adjuster. There is also the possibility that dust enters via the microphone holes. I doubt that Leica will reveal the cause of the problem but I am in touch with them and hope to get the matter resolved. If there is a design weakness, then the problem will return.

Microphone holes? I doubt that. Dust may enter and get as far as the membrane of the microphone, but the whole unit should be mounted in a dust-sealed manner.

My camera is book.ed in for cleaning at Leica - Mayfair. The cleaning may be free, but it's a huge PITA. To deliver it, I have to take a coach to London (£45 and 5 hours,) and then a 5 hour coach trip back. Alternatively, insured courier is more than £150.

Edited by lucerne

Microphone holes? I doubt that. Dust may enter and get as far as the membrane of the microphone, but the whole unit should be mounted in a dust-sealed manner.

The truth is that none of us knows where the dust enters, so covering all possible entry points makes some sense. My guess is that it is either at the focusing ring or the macro ring, but there is no way to seal them. Fortunately, the sensor dust problem seems to be the exception rather than the rule, though it is a pain when it occurs.

Rob

• Like 3

My camera is book.ed in for cleaning at Leica - Mayfair. The cleaning may be free, but it's a huge PITA. To deliver it, I have to take a coach to London (£45 and 5 hours,) and then a 5 hour coach trip back. Alternatively, insured courier is more than £150.

Doesn't Leica UK have a free pickup service? Leica Wetzlar has.

right now i am satisfied with my Q.. no problems... no dust....just enjoyment

i have a leica C (stays in my briefcase all the time) and goes out to dinner with my wife and i (I always have leica glass w/me)-- the C developed condensation spots on the sensor in December while i was on vacation..... Long story shortened it went back to Leica NJ for cleaning--- they charged a minimal amount (under 100USD) but 3 months away. . 

If the Q develops any similar issue--- i will be done w/digital cameras - i will sell the Q  and buy a mechanical M-- a good scanner and become a 60 plus year old hipster