How significant is the sensor dust problem on the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put gaffers tape one Mic and speaker day one. So far so good and I got mine the second month available and it has some miles on it including Alaska and Africa. It is my landscape body and my Nikons are for reach.

• 1 year later...

Fast forward folks from an old thread.

I have yet to see anyone post from the US who has had their Q sent in for sensor dust and the cost associated with that service. Still looking for a definitive cost. I'm not looking for warranty time or off topic comments,  just merely actual cost experience for such a service. I'm in  the USA and understand NJ as possible source of service, but would appreciate actual USA users experience. In fact did NJ perform the service or more likely off to Germany?

I'm considering a used Q because I can't afford new. The two I've inquired about and reviewed sample F/11 images of a clear blue sky have both exhibited dust on the sensor.

I'm thankful for the sellers honesty but don't feel comfortable on price without factoring in an eventual out of pocket service.

2015 Q with gaffer's tape on all the "holes" -- THOUSANDS of images and no known dust issues.  I'll go shoot into a clear sky and see if artifacts exist at all.

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, codocee said:

Fast forward folks from an old thread.

I have yet to see anyone post from the US who has had their Q sent in for sensor dust and the cost associated with that service. Still looking for a definitive cost. I'm not looking for warranty time or off topic comments,  just merely actual cost experience for such a service. I'm in  the USA and understand NJ as possible source of service, but would appreciate actual USA users experience. In fact did NJ perform the service or more likely off to Germany?

I'm considering a used Q because I can't afford new. The two I've inquired about and reviewed sample F/11 images of a clear blue sky have both exhibited dust on the sensor.

I'm thankful for the sellers honesty but don't feel comfortable on price without factoring in an eventual out of pocket service.

I have dust on my sensor now, the camera has been in London Leica (Mayfair) for a week and quoted £150 plus VAT to do a sensor clean. (and install a sensor shroud)

They are installing a sensor 'shroud', as the Q's didn't have any protection from dust on the sensor for the first runs of the camera. Newer Q's do have it installed at the factory.

Mine is around 4 years old and that's the quote. I have queried it, as its an expensive fixed lens camera. You'd think if Leica installed a shroud on later cameras then it's obviously admitting their is a problem with dust on the sensor of the older versions.

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted....

Edited by hornedrum
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, reynoldsyoung said:

Does the Q2 come with the Sensor Shroud installed?  Interesting...new info to me.

No idea, sorry!

I am being charged the full amount for the fix though, and looks like the shipping back to Glasgow too.

That's the last Leica I buy, I was seriously considering investing in this company's products as I loved the Q so much.

I just hope it's properly clean when I receive it back as I was told 2 weeks, now it's ready the next day.

I'll be selling it if so. Gutted.

Back to my Nikon D750, at least a sensor clean is only £32. ;)

Also, here's what Leica said about the Q. Interesting they seem to think the  battery/SD card area is probably the weak link for dust ingress, rather than mic hole etc....

"The newer seal is an upgrade to help prevent the dust getting to the sensor but it has never been part of a recall as the number of cameras with the dust problems is still very small.

David will fit a ‘shroud’ around the sensor, so hopefully it will never suffer from dust again. This is a modification from Germany, and it was introduced about 18 months after the camera was released.
The Q body is quite well sealed but the most likely way for dust to enter the Leica Q is via the battery and SD card areas.
The later built cameras had an extra sensor gasket seal fitted and we retro fit these when repairs are carried out. It is this seal that stops the problem from re-occurring not the application of tape over an already well sealed mic."
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hornedrum said:

No idea, sorry!

I am being charged the full amount for the fix though, and looks like the shipping back to Glasgow too.

That's the last Leica I buy, I was seriously considering investing in this company's products as I loved the Q so much.

I just hope it's properly clean when I receive it back as I was told 2 weeks, now it's ready the next day.

I'll be selling it if so. Gutted.

Back to my Nikon D750, at least a sensor clean is only £32. ;)

I’m sorry to hear that your camera needs a cleaning, but I’m a little confused by your response... 150 GBP for a cleaning seems pretty reasonable given the fact that disassembly is required to get to the sensor.  And, presumably, your camera is three or four years old if it doesn’t already have the shroud.  You’re also getting the shroud installed problem is less likely to recur.  The camera will also be ready sooner than expected.  You also mentioned you love the Q.

Why is this the last Leica you will buy?  Why are you selling it?  Why are you gutted?  If you bought a car you would expect maintenance costs.  If you bought an M3 rangefinder you would expect the occasional cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.  If you bought a nice watch it would need the occasional cleaning.  Even my home furnace needs occasional maintenance.  Why is the expectation that the Q would run indefinitely with no costs?

Edited by Jared
Tpo
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 6:02 AM, Leica Guy said:

Your comments are very telling. I love using the Q. It's an excellent all around and travel camera, but I've not experienced any sensor dust YET! It makes me begin to consider selling it and moving to an M-10. It's very difficult to know what the actual probability is of this becoming a problem. Leica should offer extended warranty for this issue then Q owners could relax about it.

I just got my Q2 today...now I am a little scared.  I hated dust bunnies on my Canon gear, it got better over time with their sensor shake stuff but was hoping this fixed lens camera would simplify things.  I can return the camera within 7 days...what happened with your Q2?

thanks

vin

6 hours ago, photoshack said:

I just got my Q2 today...now I am a little scared.  I hated dust bunnies on my Canon gear, it got better over time with their sensor shake stuff but was hoping this fixed lens camera would simplify things.  I can return the camera within 7 days...what happened with your Q2?

thanks

vin

Vin

dont confuse the Q1 with Q2.  Nearly 5 years apart.  The first Q1s weren’t as well sealed as later versions.  Hence some of us had dust problems.   You have the Q2.  I don’t think I’ve seen any bad reports and will have a full return to manufacturer warranty.

enjoy. 

Well thanks for that; I am enjoying this camera now with the battery charged and shooting some macros to get warmed up.  It's night time so this is my front porch.  This camera is beautiful and I hope I can learn to use it effectively as I had with the Canon 5DSR.  I do wish there was a back button focus like I got used to, but the focus point moved around with the arrows on the back may do well enough.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, photoshack said:

thanks

vin

Honestly, I think the dust on sensor problem on the Q/Q2 is not a common problem. Early on with the Q it was a bit more prevalent. I’ve never experienced it and it seems to me many others have never experienced it. I suggest you enjoy your new camera and not worry about it. If it does occur, it’ll be cleaned under warranty. Again, the probability seems low. Just not zero. 

You asked what happened to my camera. I’m unsure of the context of your question because while I’ve not experienced a dust problem, I did drop my camera from a tripod while on vacation in August. It banged it up pretty good, but still functioned fine for the rest of the vacation. When I arrived home I sent it to Leica New Jersey for repair. They got it back to me in about a month in spite of having to get an internal part out of Germany. The top plate was cracked and underneath that a circuit board was damaged. Totally all my doing. I could not be more happy with Leica USA service. My camera is again pristine. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jared said:

I’m sorry to hear that your camera needs a cleaning, but I’m a little confused by your response... 150 GBP for a cleaning seems pretty reasonable given the fact that disassembly is required to get to the sensor.  And, presumably, your camera is three or four years old if it doesn’t already have the shroud.  You’re also getting the shroud installed problem is less likely to recur.  The camera will also be ready sooner than expected.  You also mentioned you love the Q.

Why is this the last Leica you will buy?  Why are you selling it?  Why are you gutted?  If you bought a car you would expect maintenance costs.  If you bought an M3 rangefinder you would expect the occasional cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.  If you bought a nice watch it would need the occasional cleaning.  Even my home furnace needs occasional maintenance.  Why is the expectation that the Q would run indefinitely with no costs?

Buying a Leica is similar to buying the top of the range anything. I wouldn't expect a Bentley to suffer from the same things a Fiesta suffers from. Nor would I expect a Martin guitar to have the same problems as a cheap acoustic.

The point of buying an expensive camera with a fixed lens is to avoid spending time and money cleaning a sensor. With postage, I will have spent £240. Someone on this thread had to get his Q sensor cleaned 3 times. That's £720 and equivalent to the price of a great second hand camera. Money means different things to different people, so let's not argue over something subjective. 

57 minutes ago, hornedrum said:

Buying a Leica is similar to buying the top of the range anything. I wouldn't expect a Bentley to suffer from the same things a Fiesta suffers from. Nor would I expect a Martin guitar to have the same problems as a cheap acoustic.

The point of buying an expensive camera with a fixed lens is to avoid spending time and money cleaning a sensor. With postage, I will have spent £240. Someone on this thread had to get his Q sensor cleaned 3 times. That's £720 and equivalent to the price of a great second hand camera. Money means different things to different people, so let's not argue over something subjective. 

I certainly understand 240 GBP could mean a lot to someone.  I think my confusion is mostly over the first paragraph.  I’ll use your analogy.  While I wouldn’t expect a similar driving or ownership experience from a Bentley and a Fiesta, I would expect very similar maintenance issues.  Either could get a flat.  Either could have a fuel pump wear out.  Either could have a muffler rust.  Honestly, from a maintenance and reliability perspective, expensive and inexpensive cars are very similar indeed, and parts and service cost more on expensive cars. 

I think it’s actually a good analogy.  Leica cameras are no more reliable than Nikon or Canon or Sony, perhaps a bit less since they are assembled by hand.  It’s a mistake to think that just because the camera was expensive to purchase it will be inexpensive to own.  For you, that may not be OK.  For anyone else considering the purchase of a Leica Camera?  Don’t expect them to be more reliable than the rest of the industry.  They are fine, but certainly no better than anyone else.  

Indeed SIlverchrome, no analogy is perfect, hence why they are analogies.  :)

I think the bit that got me frustrated was the fact that the newer Qs were fixed, using a shroud over the sensor. If I was running a company I would want to let the earlier users have the same upgrade at no cost, but business is business. I understand that things need fixed sometimes, and happy to pay that cost for the majority of the time.

Difference of opinion is fine though, it's how we all learn. 

Kinda nice to know that every fixed lens camera system has this chink in it's armour, doesn't make me feel so bad now, hehe.

Let's hope the shroud does it's job and it doesn't happen again.

1 hour ago, hornedrum said:

Indeed SIlverchrome, no analogy is perfect, hence why they are analogies.  :)

I think the bit that got me frustrated was the fact that the newer Qs were fixed, using a shroud over the sensor. If I was running a company I would want to let the earlier users have the same upgrade at no cost, but business is business. I understand that things need fixed sometimes, and happy to pay that cost for the majority of the time.

Difference of opinion is fine though, it's how we all learn. 

Kinda nice to know that every fixed lens camera system has this chink in it's armour, doesn't make me feel so bad now, hehe.

Let's hope the shroud does it's job and it doesn't happen again.

Yes, I think it would have been nice if Leica had offered to cover the repair cost for bringing your camera up to spec.  I expect this will resolve the issue, at least.  Good luck whether you decide to keep the camera or sell it.  I hope you keep it since it sounds like it has generally brought you pleasure.

• Like 1