Leica M246 IR cut off filter ?

Greg Law

Hello Greg,

don't know details but the infrared sensitivity of the M246 is pretty similar to the M240. It went down to 1200 nm or even more. I did a test on the IR capability and got the feeling that it especially matters if you use yellow, orange or red filters. All these filters are transparent for IR and I found skin becomes a bit mushy then.
Even without filtering I have the impression that you get more details and a sharper image with a IR-cut filter in areas with a lot of IR reflectivity.
But the difference is subtile.

Regards

Frank

• Like 1

Which is not surprising. The IR light will create an out-of-focus "overlay" over your sharp visible light image as IR light will focus in a different plane. As the IR will be underexposed by four or five stops the effect will be very small, but it can affect microcontrast, depending on the intensity of the IR component of the light.

If you use colour filters you are altering the intensity balance between visible light and IR light and the effect may become more critical in extreme situations. It might be worth experimenting with stacking an IR filter to see whether the advantage outweighs the drawbacks.

• 2 months later...

The M8 had an IR filtering that was 50% effective (with the well-known result ;) ), the M9 was 80% effective which is acceptable in normal circumstances and I suspect that the M240 series is around 70%, which means a filter is needed from time to time. It is easy to verify these values by using an IR pass filter like B&W 092 and comparing EV values between the cameras.

• 2 months later...

70% is quite effective, but it will still allow you to do IR photography. A 093 filter works better, though.

Jaap

Does the MM1 have an IR filter in place or does it just have a clear glass filter over the sensor? Sorry for the question, but I do not remember those specs any longer.