Live View Exposure Preview

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi friends,

Today I noticed something I havnt seen before. In live view when half pressing for exposure preview if the image is under exposed I'm seeing these unusual horizontal stripes.

Thankfully they are not appearing on the photographs, but I'm curious on any thoughts. It's kind of distracting.

I would add an example image but can't see how to upload file...

• Like 1

Yes, I see where you are coming from, Philipp, but that could never explain the phenomenon happening on the LCD and not on the image. It must be some internal problem in the camera.

• Like 1

Yes, I see where you are coming from, Philipp, but that could never explain the phenomenon happening on the LCD and not on the image. It must be some internal problem in the camera.

The LCDs on some of my cameras behave unexpectedly with artificial lighting. I can't say I have seen stripes like these, so far, but badly flickering displays are no novelty.

I have just done a test in natural light and it doesn't seem to happen. I tested again under flourescent light and it is showing up big time. This time the strips are dark green.

Still not showing up on image file though....

In that case Philipp is right and you seeing a stroboscopic representation of the pulsing of the fluorescent light.

I just tried and mine does exactly the same. I never noticed in all these years :(  It appears there is nothing wrong with your camera.

Sorry for the second-rate phone shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

^ that's exactly what's happening. If it's any consolation I can see such an effect on all my digital cameras.

Now, you say it doesn't show on the image. I bet it does. Take a few shots in quick succession and view them on a computer screen. You'll inverably see a difference in colour amongst the set and the bands will be apparent.

Nothing to worry about. Just a fact of light effect.