Hektor the dog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recent posts have mentioned the reference that Max Berek used the names of his pet dogs, Hektor and Rex, to denote leica lenses that we all know and love. Starting with the Hektor 50mm, f 2.5 high speed lens circa 1930, and the SummaREX in the lone 85mm 1.5 lens.  Max served Leitz for 37 years, 1912 to 1949, so he would have had many opportunities to verify this story.  Therefore it must be correct. Perhaps someone has additional aspects to the story they would share.

Probably of no relationship to Leitz, whatsoever, I found an entertaining German stamp marked HEKTOR with a photo of a beautiful dog.  See first photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I enlisted some translation help, to arrive at the page  below. Again, I would expect an expert forum member could give us the correct meaning of the markings on the stamp.  See photo for my first attempt.

I guess this is a dog lovers society in Berlin, founded in 1876.  Maybe Berek knew of this "HEKTOR" society when he named his dog. Does anyone know if the society still exists?  A google search, suggests that HECTOR was the result of in-breeding of german shepard dogs to arrive at a prized result, and is an important part of the evolution of german shepards.   Can anyone enlighten us?

• Like 4

Watchdog... :p

• Like 1

The image on the stamp is a painting by the English artist Sir Edwin Landseer (Queen Victoria´s favourite painter, btw).  The dog is a colour variety of the NewFoundland breed that was used as a rescue dog by the Coast Guard; the variety is given the name `Landseer` after that very painting.  Don´t know what breed Hektor was, but I rather doubt it was this one...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Watchdog... :p

attachicon.gifHektor_LOL.jpg

Luigi,

That looks like a bigger dog than 5cm.  At least 13.5cm  :lol: .....and this one is  misspelt. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

In another noted misspelling of Hektor, we have the E, Leitz New York adapter for the 135  "Hector".   See photo. 

Also, neither stamp is dated or has any authority marks, so I guess it was just something from the Berlin dog society, you couldn't mail a letter with it.  I am still suprised that it was founded in 1876.

Germany did issue some dog stamps, with a sense of humour (sausage dog). 

• Like 3

I enlisted some translation help, to arrive at the page  below. Again, I would expect an expert forum member could give us the correct meaning of the markings on the stamp.  See photo for my first attempt.

Alan,

I am by no means an expert in dogs, but my mother tongue is German. Your translation into English appears fine to me, and I also have difficulties in determining the correct meaning of  "im Kartell". Kartell in German usually means cartel in English, but that does not appear to make much sense here, which is why I second your thoughts regarding a geographical area. I just googled a bit, and the "Kartell" appears to be a certain quarter in Berlin, located southeast of Kreuzberg and near Neukölln, both of which are also parts of Berlin.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

The image on the stamp is a painting by the English artist Sir Edwin Landseer (Queen Victoria´s favourite painter, btw).  The dog is a colour variety of the NewFoundland breed that was used as a rescue dog by the Coast Guard; the variety is given the name `Landseer` after that very painting.  Don´t know what breed Hektor was, but I rather doubt it was this one

Thank you very much.  The painting was made in 1831.  And the following text appears in Wikipedia:  "...The dog in the painting(stamp) is meant to be "Bob", a dog that was found in a shipwreck off the coast of England. The dog found his way to the London waterfront where he became known for saving people from drowning, a total of twenty–three times over the course of fourteen years".  The painting is now in the Tate museum or Tate Britian Gallery in London.

• Like 1