Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

The 35 Summicron ASPH ii was updated last year to improve the mechanical design as well as resolving power. While it may not be noticeable on the current 24MP sensors it does offer a greater degree of clarity on the bigger 42 megapixel Sony sensor and when when printed to large sizes. This would indicate that, sometime down the road, Leica will inevitably move to larger MP sensors. 

In this respect, I was wondering if anyone knew what the resolving power of the Summilux 35 ASPH FLE was? Would be interesting to know, especially considering that it came out in 2011. 

Regards

You can see "the numbers" in reviews of the lens, such as here..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2489364,00.asp

Going strictly by measurable numbers, the Summilux falls short of the huge-in-size Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon ZM, but arguing "value for dollar spent" and "Leica" like that author does is a sort of oxymoron as far as I'm concerned. Add the size difference and most in the market for a lens like this and the financial ability to buy either are going to go with the Leica.

I'm not so sure there's all that much difference in the newest vs. the just replaced 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH. From what I've read and seen, optically they are identical and the change was using more aperture blades and re-designing the lens to accommodate the new screw-in metal shade. I'm not rushing to upgrade my pre-2016 model, but I did just order the newest 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH last night from B&H as I'm shooting more these days with the 18-28-50-90 combination.

Edited by Gregm61

According to Leica's technical data, both version of the Summicron 35 asph look very similar if not identical in matter of contrast and resolution. Aside from CA and bokeh, the only difference i've notived with the Summilux FLE lays in borders and corners, especially at f/2 where corners look softer with the Summicron. I have not used those lenses on the Sony A7r 2 though. Only on M240 and Sony A7s mod so far.

According to Leica's technical data, both version of the Summicron 35 asph look very similar if not identical in matter of contrast and resolution. Aside from CA and bokeh, the only difference i've notived with the Summilux FLE lays in borders and corners, especially at f/2 where corners look softer with the Summicron. I have not used those lenses on the Sony A7r 2 though. Only on M240 and Sony A7s mod so far.

This

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.