Firmware 3.0 and M lens - "S" mode missing, and last zoom location not stored

su25

Advertisement (gone after registration)

- I cannot get "S" mode with M lens, I have only M and A mode. Effectively, I have to go to M mode to change shutter speed. "A" mode is useless, as I can only change exposure compensation.

- Also, last zoom location does not get stored, it defaults to centre. With SL lenses, last zoom location is stored.

Anybody facing these two issues? Any suggestions?

- I cannot get "S" mode with M lens, I have only M and A mode. Effectively, I have to go to M mode to change shutter speed. "A" mode is useless, as I can only change exposure compensation.

Shutter priority mode (where you set the shutter time and the camera sets the aperture) can only be offered with lenses that the camera body has control of the aperture. No adapted lenses (M, R or other) allow the body control of the aperture, so the body cannot offer Shutter priority mode. Same for Program mode. 

• Like 1

- Also, last zoom location does not get stored, it defaults to centre. With SL lenses, last zoom location is stored.

The 'zoom' or magnification assist position memory requires use of the Auto Focus system I believe, it's linked to the AF focus point setting. The AF system is not engaged with manual focus lenses. Only Leica engineers can know whether it is possible to engage the AF system to achieve this with manual focus lenses, but I suspect it's at least a difficult thing to achieve.

• Like 1

A mode is aperture priority, you can change shutter speeds in both A and M modes. They work as you say however and one must watch the exposures that shutter speeds are too slow in A mode. You could always use floating ISO but I would never do this. I use both modes A and M for different shooting reasons.

• Like 1

You can't have S mode with manual lenses. It requires the camera to electronically set the aperture which is not possible. This is why the M bodies only have A mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

From what I recollect of firmware 2.2, I could change shutter speed in "T" mode, maybe because aperture value was "captured" from the lens?? I may be mistaken.

Now, in "A" mode I can change only exposure compensation (EC) on the body, and in "M" mode, I can change shutter speed and EC.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Read the manual. This is an advanced camera that requires a basic understanding of functionality to fully utilize (i.e. Manual lenses don't allow electronic aperture control).

Page 237 of the English language manual:

"Notes:

• If the camera recognizes a 6-bit coded Leica M lens or a Leica R lens with contact strip, the relevant profile is set automatically and the menu sub-itmes M Lenses, or R Lenses are not available (‘grayed out’).

• There are a few functional restrictions when using Leica M and R lenses with the above-mentioned adapters:

– Only the exposure control modes A and M are available.

– Only manual focusing is available, i.e. no autofocus-related

functions.

– With Leica R lenses, you should focus with the aperture fully

open and close it only afterwards at the desired value."

• Like 1

With firmware 2.2, my M lens was recognised automatically and EXIF data would show the correct focal length and an (approx) aperture value. Now with firmware 3.0 EXIF data does not show the focal length but shows the aperture value. The lens is correctly identified in the menu.  

Update: Lens is not identified when the profile is set to default. Also, none of the copyright information is stored in default profile. 

Edited by su25

From what I recollect of firmware 2.2, I could change shutter speed in "T" mode, maybe because aperture value was "captured" from the lens?? I may be mistaken.

Now, in "A" mode I can change only exposure compensation (EC) on the body, and in "M" mode, I can change shutter speed and EC.

Your memory is faulty. You could never select T mode with an M lens. Only M and A exposure modes have ever been available for the SL with adapted lenses. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

A mode is aperture priority, you can change shutter speeds in both A and M modes. They work as you say however and one must watch the exposures that shutter speeds are too slow in A mode. You could always use floating ISO but I would never do this. I use both modes A and M for different shooting reasons.

"Floating ISO" is different from "AutoISO," and it's difficult to tell which you mean in this statement although I suspect it's AutoISO.

Floating ISO is a function specific to the SL designed to accommodate variable aperture zoom lenses. It allows the ISO setting to float in a 1 stop range if you're using the maximum aperture and fixed exposure time and ISO settings in order that your exposure remains constant. For example, set Manual mode, f/2.8 with the SL24-90 lens @ 24mm setting, ISO 50, and 1/100 second based on the lighting situation. As you zoom to 90mm, the maximum aperture will reduce to f/4 and the ISO will rise to 100 to compensate. Very convenient, particularly when doing video capture where a zoom shot might become over or underexposed as the shot progresses. 

AutoISO is a setting that allows the camera to adjust the ISO setting upwards when a maximum exposure time limit is reached. It prevents using too long an exposure time when shooting in aperture priority automation by raising the ISO when the set exposure time maximum is exceeded. The rest of the time, the ISO setting will be at the minimum as specified in AutoISO settings. There's no reason not to use AutoISO for general purpose shooting. Obviously, go to a fixed ISO setting when you want Aperture (or Program) exposure modes more freedom to set exposure times (or Manual mode when you want/need explicit control). 

• Like 1

Now I understand... 

In "A" mode I set the aperture on the lens, and the camera will set the shutter speed automatically..... 

In "M" mode I set aperture on the lens, and I set the shutter speed on the camera...

Earlier, I had set a lower limit of the shutter speed to 1/f with M lenses and Auto ISO range, and saved it as a profile. Therefore, in "A" mode, shutter speed would be at or above 1/f and ISO within the range I set. When I updated firmware, I was still using default profile, and panicked when the shutter speed was going below 1/f.... Did not think through the process... 

Thanks for your help....

Btw.... I have read the manual thoroughly when I bought the SL more than a year ago.... sometimes, in panic mode, memory and logic fails (in my case), so I find it quicker to come to the forum to find a solution....

exif doesn't show the focal length ?

Now with firmware 3.0 EXIF data does not show the focal length but shows the aperture value. The lens is correctly identified in the menu.  

Update: Lens is not identified when the profile is set to default. Also, none of the copyright information is stored in default profile. 

• Like 1

Btw.... I have read the manual thoroughly when I bought the SL more than a year ago.... sometimes, in panic mode, memory and logic fails (in my case), so I find it quicker to come to the forum to find a solution....

You're not the only one with this problem. The old red mist. Setting the 'User' (there are four) enables you to quickly return the camera to settings you are familiar with. No it wouldn't have helped solve the S, M and A problem, but in my experience (!) there will be others.

• Like 1